Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BarryC
Let me know when you get 5,000 rounds through it. 120 rounds ain't squat.

Oh, and BTW, Armalite wrote that BEFORE there were any 308 ARs that used FAL mags on the market or even announced. The Bushmaster BAR-10 was introduced in 2004. That Tech Note was written in about 1995! I understand that the mystery maker that they referred to is Knight.

Your right, 120rds isn't squat. But there are alot of guys that have thousands of rounds thru their LAR-8 and they continue to work fine. Some of the guys I spoke to, reccommended the LAR-8, are LE officers. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Last edited by dmsbandit; 02/01/12.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Of course over the years armalite has produced some pure crap too...

Sometimes it takes some time to get kinks worked out.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I just did a build using a Mega Ma-Ten receiver, and I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality. The barrel is a Rainier Arms Ultra Match. During sight-in I shot a 5 shot group just over 1/2".

I'd like to put a different scope on it, but will do so as funds permit.

All in all I have just under $2000 invested. If you must stick to a tight budget as opposed to building one over time, I'd look at a used Armalite. I've read a lot of good stuff about them. Good luck to you!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a difference between poor design and poor execution. You can fix poor execution. Poor design, not so much.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BarryC
There is a difference between poor design and poor execution. You can fix poor execution. Poor design, not so much.

I bet you also think the Marlin "X" guns are junk and can never be as good as a Remington or Winchester.

Personally, I've heard ALOT of bad things about the DPMS, Bushmaster, R-25, and others. I have no idea if they are good or not, but IMO the LAR-8 is a better gun with more features and better workmanship.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Mga-ten looks neat.

If you shop it out on GB, you can really get a dela on a DPMS. I saw one o there a few months ago @750. I paid $875 for my AP4 and it has been a very-very good gun! Look at ome of my previous posts regarding shooting/hunting this year with it

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PS - I would go with DPMS or look at the CMMG's from CDNN, as the Armalite's mag are fraekin' expensive!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Armalite sells 20 rd AR10 mags for $27.50 each (if you buy 10) 25 rounders are $35 each, again in a 10 pack. I know G3's and FAL's are cheaper, but that's not what I'd call expensive.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
B
I Know you were asking about .308's in the lower price point. But, I have to throw the pof-308 into the mix even at the much higher cost. fantastic rifle. I love mine ;0)

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I love AR's but for a 308 gasser, it'll be an FAL for me.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TAK, wait until you heft and shoot the right 308 AR. I really like FALs a lot, but I'm out of the FAL business completely. Not quite accurate enough, not quite light enough. If FALs were better on either one of those two fronts, I'd still have one.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You may be right Evan, but I've got an STG 58 Para on order and I think it'll have a permanent home. I had an STG 58 on an Enterprise reciever that was a no BS one MOA rifle. It shot M80 ball well under two MOA. Austrians know how to build guns. I hope I get lucky this time.

I've shot a few different DPMS 308's and they'be been good guns. I held one of the LW hunters in 7/08 and it did fling a cravin' on me, I'll admit.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 02/06/12. Reason: spellin'
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by evanhill
TAK, wait until you heft and shoot the right 308 AR. I really like FALs a lot, but I'm out of the FAL business completely. Not quite accurate enough, not quite light enough. If FALs were better on either one of those two fronts, I'd still have one.

that's exactly why I don't own my FAL anymore. The LAR-8 is ligher and way more accurate than the FAL.

As to Barry's veiwpoint of the LAR-8 design, I was talking to a member of the local rod and gun club last night. He has multiple tours overseas as an Army grunt and is still in the National Guard as a reserve. Considering his intimate knowledge of the AR platform I asked him about the "Structural/design defect" of the feed ramp that Barry is so quick to belittle. Mike said there is no difference between the LAR-8 reciever feed ramp and the M-4 feed ramp. Until the feed ramp was machining into the M-4 rifles, they had jamming issues all the time. Since the feed ramp was done, no more feed issues and no issues with the receivers breaking in that area. Mike, who has owned the LAR-8 and shoots Thousands of rounds every year out of his ARs, said all RRA did to the LAR-8 by machining that feed ramp was make the gun feed with 100% reliability.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The M4's predecessor was the M16A2. It jammed because of the trigger and poor QC at the FN plant in S. Carolina. Also because the army can't figure out that Vietnam era AR mags need to be replaced.

M4 feed ramps don't do a damned thing for a semi-auto AR....nothing....nada....zip. Any one who tells you otherwise is FOS.

My issue with the LR8 is the magazine they chose. That mag was never designed as a feeding device. A FAL has controlled feed, an AR doesn't. It might work okay, but it's not an ideal setup, IMHO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
The M4's predecessor was the M16A2. It jammed because of the trigger and poor QC at the FN plant in S. Carolina. Also because the army can't figure out that Vietnam era AR mags need to be replaced.

M4 feed ramps don't do a damned thing for a semi-auto AR....nothing....nada....zip. Any one who tells you otherwise is FOS.

My issue with the LR8 is the magazine they chose. That mag was never designed as a feeding device. A FAL has controlled feed, an AR doesn't. It might work okay, but it's not an ideal setup, IMHO.

Since when does a trigger effect feeding?

Feed ramps don't do anything? I guess all the semi-auto firearms like the 1911 don't need them?

confused

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The 3-rd burst on the A2 caused all manner of problems, to include feeding.

M4 feed ramps are STEEPER than non-M4 feed ramps. This mod was designed to make mass-produced guns, with poor magazines, run reliably on full-auto. The cyclic rate on the original SOCOM M4's was so high barrels were bending from the heat.

You tell me how this would help the overwhelming majority of us?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If Rock River has a lifetime warrenty on their firearms, and the feed ramp allows the LAR-8 to feed cartridges from a FAL mag with 100% reliability, I fail to see where Barry has a point. smirk

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=21

Last edited by dmsbandit; 02/08/12.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Any thuoughts on the FN FNAR in .308? I have seen one of these in a local gunshop but no personal experience with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have a dpms lr-308 with a 24" s.s., fluted barrel.
it has not had one hick up yet, and with the load i have for it. will put em in the same hole, more often than than not.

it's big, heavy, and clunky, but scary accurate.
i do love my fal's tho. they aren't target rifles, but main battle rifle's. you wanna varmint/target gun, in a semi auto, get an ar.
you want a battle tested, owned by at least 93 countries around the world, man killin machine, get a fal.

the two are not in the same class, other than the cartridge's.
and yes, fal's were made in .223.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ive had multiple Armalites and i believe they are a good platform and the only drawback would be mags but for the past few years Armalite has offered some killer deals on a big package of mags for a great price. I no longer have Armalite but still like them. I think their 20" A4 barreled 308 rifle is great for a good scope and not too heavy. Their 16" A2 308 with carry handle open sight is awesome for tight woods and rainy hunts, plus its pretty light considering its an AR-10. I now shoot a POF 20" 308 and love it but it is not light, so i wouldnt pick it for a pack rifle or for long walk hunts.
This is a great rifle for having a four wheeler or truck and getting you close to the shooting area and then setting up with a serious shooting platform with excellent accuracy and reliability.
Jmho......SmokeRolls
Here's a few pics of the POF 308.. I cant find any pics of my old Armalites.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by SmokeRolls; 02/13/12.

If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2nd Chronicles 7:14
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.