Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by dave7mm
20 MOA base is the way to go Bob.
Not sure at all you can do that with the SAKO.
You could always try one of these from Defiance Machine, Bob.
Are we helpen you Bob? smile

dave

+1 for Defiance Machine
there is also Surgeon if you are feeling spendy. If a Remington, make certain the serial number begins with A, B, or C, so I am told by Randy Melvin of Bull Mtn Rifles. If you are in a hurry there are going to be more stocks cut for a Remmy readily available, though the defiance and surgeon have the same footprint and would work after stock fitting.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bergers Hybrids and LRBTs are not as fussy for seating depth.
The 6.5mm 140g Hybrid will be out very soon.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Snowwalker/Dave: Thanks! smile

Got a lot of good ideas here..

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Bob, if you haven't decided on an action, I would go with the 700..had a Sako break a spring and it bound up the action tighter than a drum...put the rifle out of action for mth.s...

Molon Labe
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
WCH: Thanks for that advise. I went out to the smith yesterday.....he basically said use the Remington action....lots more stock options,bases,everything.He said it might e tough to get a stock in my choice for the Sako,depending what I want.

Turns out the shorty Remington he had there had a 223 bolt face, so I am going to have to order up an action....now my mind is spinning a bit.I might order a Defiance....it won't need blue printing or anything other than the barrel job.
I left the barrel there while I get the parts assembled.

Also dropped off my old 270 for a new tube installation....barrel is just gone and I was in denial for over a year..... grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/14/12.

IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Your really going to like a Defiance, you can get a Rem 700 drop in or their model SA which has a longer barrel tenon,so order your stock accordingly!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Defiance action with the long tennon is what GAP calls the Templar action.McMillian knows what that is....

Just as a thought Bob.
A M700 in a 222 bolt face is the cats meow for turning it into a 6mmPPC.
Yes never let a good 222 Rem bolt go to waist when you can have to smith open it up to the most accurate round ever.
Need to have a Sako extractor installed as well.
The PPC doesnt have the reach of the 6XC that is true.
But under 300 it has no equal for accuracy.
NONE.
Might be just the ticket for you Bob for a walk around carry rifle, play target rifle that will beat the crap out of the locals at the range with little tiny groups .....just sayen..

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That Defiance action is not that good looking to me. It looks like a 700 with an old Firestone Town and Country snow tire on the top of it.

[Linked Image]

How much is this "walking varminter" going to weigh?

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ackley/Dave: Thanks for the tips here....might be time for one of these ultra-mega PF actions... grin

If I'm not careful, this thing might turn out pretty nice!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You dont like the M700 or the M700 foot print.
We get it.
Have you ever handled a Defiance?

dave

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think you need to look at the 6.5x47 with the small primer pocket Bob.
It can be necked down to 6mm.
dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
#4 SS fluted 8.5 twist Barltein 6mm barrel. Chambering will be 6XC.

This is going to be a walking varmint/range rifle,shooting mostly the Amax/Berger type bullets,105-107 range. I will drop it into a sporter weight stock

Now that you have to buy an action; Find a doner rifle and part it out.

New Haven M70 Classic
Tubb firing pin
Tubb firing pin spring
Tubb cocking piece
Jewell trigger
McMillan Stock

Have your smith sugar up an action and screw on your barrel. With all your M70 experience it will be a natural fit to hunt with the 6XC in a M70 platform. All the Tubb parts are available at SSS the home of the 6XC.

Many nice custom actions out there but a good custom Winchester still gets a lot of respect from others at the range and can shoot with the best. Also that big Nightforce will be sweet on top of a Winchester Express, Sako Varmint, or Hunter stock...

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Savage_99
That Defiance action is not that good looking to me. It looks like a 700 with an old Firestone Town and Country snow tire on the top of it.

[Linked Image]

How much is this "walking varminter" going to weigh?

No one cares what you think...and you have nothing to offer to this thread, you need to get a clue!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Ackley/Dave: Thanks for the tips here....might be time for one of these ultra-mega PF actions... grin

If I'm not careful, this thing might turn out pretty nice!

Defiance' Rebel med action is really their SA with a long tenon, not sure if the port is any different, Templar is just Gap's house name for their actions and it does have a longer front tenon, also made is a Rebel with a true 700 footprint , for any stock cut for a 700, another option to consider is .062 firing pin over the standard .071 as it helps eliminate pierced primers in higher pressure rounds!

Alot of different options with Defiance!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by US_Patriot
#4 SS fluted 8.5 twist Barltein 6mm barrel. Chambering will be 6XC.

This is going to be a walking varmint/range rifle,shooting mostly the Amax/Berger type bullets,105-107 range. I will drop it into a sporter weight stock

Now that you have to buy an action; Find a doner rifle and part it out.

New Haven M70 Classic
Tubb firing pin
Tubb firing pin spring
Tubb cocking piece
Jewell trigger
McMillan Stock

Have your smith sugar up an action and screw on your barrel. With all your M70 experience it will be a natural fit to hunt with the 6XC in a M70 platform. All the Tubb parts are available at SSS the home of the 6XC.

Many nice custom actions out there but a good custom Winchester still gets a lot of respect from others at the range and can shoot with the best. Also that big Nightforce will be sweet on top of a Winchester Express, Sako Varmint, or Hunter stock...
Liking this idea. Bruce Artus and Kreg Slack a couple yeas back were shooting out to 3000 yards with a .308 A.I. and 264 Win Mag, based off M70s. Artus said they'd pretty much hold a flame to most custom actions...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave7mm
You dont like the M700 or the M700 foot print.
We get it.
Have you ever handled a Defiance?

dave

What's not all that fine about the Defiance design is the spring loaded ejector and the tiny, non CRF, extractor and perhaps more.

On the other hand the finish on it seems to be 'good machinery'. Its just that for a walking varmint rifle I would prefer a neat action like the Sako, or a High Wall.

Back in the 50's I got M70's for serious target competition and hunting along with a 99. Then in the 60's I heard that Rem. was where it was at accuracy wise and I got some 40X's for competition. If I knew now that the bolt handles would fall off from use I would have stayed with the M70 or perhaps some other well made design.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Savage normally I am a CRF guy for my BG hunting out of force of long habit.

But the Defiance is a very well made rifle action of PF design,does not need to be blueprinted,and from what I know of them, make up into a very finely accurate rifle.I am not really concerned that this is not a CRF action...I'm certain it will work just fine.

I fully expect this to be a heavier rifle than my BG rifles, and a bit of weight will not bother me with this one. I fully expect it to go in the 9 pound category,and for the country I have in mind, and the intended use, the extra weight may come in handy.....I want it for hitting little animals at distance and the weight may be helpful for that purpose.

Out west, I will just sling the thing up,big scope and all,and start walking.... smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/14/12.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With a rifle like you propose on a 'benchrest' looking action it would good to own.

Once in a while we fall into one that will shoot well too. Here is one.

[Linked Image]

I was up in that spot just today and the wind was light for a change. All I saw were crows however. No coyote answered!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back in the 50's is when they stopped usuing M70's for serious target competition.

dave

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bob,
So many custom after market parts for the 700, not so many for the Sako.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

138 members (264mag, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 260madman, 27 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,471
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.