Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
FINALLY got confirmation from the Director of DNR in SC...

Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 8:28 AM
To: Charles Ruth
Subject: deer regulations on private lands

Mr. Ruth,
Would you please direct me to the specific code in SC law or DNR regulations pertaining to the minimum caliber LEGALLY allowed for harvesting deer on private lands?
I am unable to find anything that prohibits the use of rimfire weapons on private lands.
I am not interested in what the DNR consideres ethical. I know hunters who could not make a clean kill with a 300 winchester magnum and I know hunters who could use a 22LR and drop every deer they need.
What I am looking for is very specific language that either allows or prohibits the use of rimfires, not an ethics debate.
Thanks you in advance.

There is no such law or regulation for private land.

That said, historically there was a regulation that applied to WMA lands statewide and to private land in Game Zones 1 and 2 that prohibited using FMJ bullets or .22 rimfire or smaller for big game. However, the general assembly removed this restriction on private land a couple of years ago.

The wording related to WMA�s can be found on page 31 of the Rules and Regs brochure and states:
3.3 On WMA lands, big game hunters are not allowed to use military or hard-jacketed bullets or .22 or smaller rimfire.

Again, this used to apply to private land but no longer does.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Charles Ruth
Certified Wildlife Biologist
Deer & Wild Turkey Program Coordinator
SC Dept. of Natural Resources
P. O. Box 167
Columbia, SC 29202-0167

What is going to be the most effective 22LR bullet fired?

It is 100% legal for me to use a 22LR. I am hunting on my land. my shooting position is at a 20 degree downward angle at 0-50 yards MAX.
Im sure some of you will not be able to contain yourselves and must comment about how its unethical to shoot a deer with a 22LR. margin of error ect ect ect.
I am talking about 40 yard MAX shots. I have a sandbagged fixed position to shoot from. Compared to a person taking a 200 yard shot with any centerfire the same margin of error could result in a blown off jaw or leg just as easy.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Digital Dan is your huckleberry.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've killed an awful lot of stuff with Remington Yellow Jackets. That said, they don't always group well in all weapons. You are going to want a high level of accuracy and precision. CCI MiniMags and maybe Velocitors should round out the list of ammunition I'd set up for.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WHY?

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does it matter? I've never shot a deer in the skull with a .22lr. But have killed quite a few cattle with it. The critical spot to hit is easily penetrated. I think all the cattle I dispatched were probably shot with Blazer lead points.

For the kind of precise brain shot you are talking about a fancy .22lr in the wrong spot won't work anyway. Hit the right spot and a .22 short will do it.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Close neighbors and depridating whitetails. (If I remember his earlier thread correctly.)

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
probably been more deer killed with a .22 than any other caliber....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The CCI Minimag would be a good choice....or any other high velosity hollowpoint bullets.

I would NOT use any of the hyper velosity rounds (Velociter, Yellow jackets, or Stingers) as these rounds are designed to expand rapidly and can fail to penetrate enough on larger game.

I have.....errrr....heard rumors....that the .22 LR is very effective against whitetails with both head and body shots, but the hyper-velosity rounds are asking for trouble.

Be prepared for the deer to run a ways with a body shot and NOT leave much of a blood trail. It will die just fine but unless you are an excellent tracker or use dogs to help with recovery don't try it.......ahhhh, so I've heard anyway!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brain shots with a 22LR have killed many whitetail. 40 yds from an elevated solid position should be easily accomplished. I personally have only used 40gr solids in this role. I was much younger and had not yet learned that a head shot required major foot pounds.

The deer on your private land (like on mine) are probably not harrassed and so are not vigilant. This makes the shot unrushed and controlled. I have never lost a deer to a 22LR because the shots are always appropriate. The deer drops and often other deer close by sniff and paw at their dead companion without startling. Enjoy the venison.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'll take the bait...I wouldn't even hunt a coyote with a .22, let alone a deer. Even a 22 Hornet, 218 Bee etc would be a better choice.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We tested a 22lr on a mature doe skull once(hide still on) and most all bullets that hit at an angle deflected off the skull. A perfectly flat hit was better, but how likely is that to happen. If I were to even try it(not legal here), it would be neck shots right under the head. The 22LR does the same on a hog's skull, but if you shoot them in the neck it kills them stone dead.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I'll take the bait...I wouldn't even hunt a coyote with a .22, let alone a deer. Even a 22 Hornet, 218 Bee etc would be a better choice.
I have killed many a dog and coyote with a .22lr stinger....more often than not it was a drop right there instant death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unethical? Who am I to say?

Stupid? Subjective...

Do I THINK it's stupid? Without a doubt...

Sounds a bit "Beavis and Butthead" to me.

I THINK you'd have more fun building a potato gun or a catapult that throws commodes...

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
Unethical? Who am I to say?

Stupid? Subjective...

Do I THINK it's stupid? Without a doubt...

Sounds a bit "Beavis and Butthead" to me.

I THINK you'd have more fun building a potato gun or a catapult that throws commodes...
^this

you can't fix stupid

proven fact

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Never done it, but if I was going to, I would be on the ground and stick one in the eye. Nor would I waste time reloading.

Last edited by battue; 02/14/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Tom264
I have killed many a dog and coyote with a .22lr stinger....more often than not it was a drop right there instant death.

Coyotes are tough animals. I have personally tracked a few without finding them after blasting them with a 223, 243, and 22-250AI. A 22 is a joke.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
Never done it, but if I was going to, I would be on the ground and stick one in the eye.

To my way of thinking, that would be worse. There's bone behind that gelatinous eye!

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah... Not too sure of the motivation to shoot a game animal with a .22... Noise level?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agreed. But there is a good chance it would put it on the ground for you to hit it again.

Don't ever plan on doing it, but just throwing some initial thoughts out.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Motivation....so I'm told....is that the Game Warden can't hear the shot from 2 miles away.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.