Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
XL5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore
There has never been an offical cartrdige by the name of 45 Long Colt.It is 45 Colt.I watched entire episode of Cowboys on RFDTV an the guy, a cowboy action shooter, was doing a program on 45 Colts. In all instances he kept referring to 45 Long Colt and how accurate he was in all his historical information.Then he went on to brag on his 45 "Long Colt" rifle and how that cartridge was used thru out the west in earlier times. When in fact the chambering of 45 Colts in rifles is only a fairly new thing with the advent of Cowboy Action matches. It was unheard of back in the days of 73 ,32 Winchesters and such.

44-40 was the most prevalent cartridge for those who chose to have the same round for thier hamdgun and rifle. 38 WCF,32-20 and other smaller cartridges were also popular. The 45 colt was only very popular in the handgun.

So if all you Cowboy shooters want to be historically correct,please start referring to it as the 45 Colt.

Just one of my pet peaves like those who ask what caliber did you shoot the elk with.Heck that would could stretch from a 30 carbine to 300mag and above with dozens of "cartridges in between.

Rant over!!!!!

Excellent idea.

Then we can go after the people who call it the 5.56x45 NATO. And after that, we find all those snobs who call the .257 Roberts "Bob" (they make me wanna puke) and nail their shoes to their feet. Then we need to track down all the newspaper reporters who still use the expression "assault weapon" and cut the head off their lawn jockey and burn a cross on their lawn.

Can we go after the car guys too, 'cuz people who don't pronounce the 'E' when they say 'Porsche' really steam me.

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Get used to it. Even barrels are stamped 45LC now.

Windage & Elevation
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lunarphase
Get used to it. Even barrels are stamped 45LC now.

Not on my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt, nor my Colt's Single Action New Frontier .45 Colt, nor my Colt's Single Action Peacemaker .45 Colt. smile

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Why the 45 Long colt? because there once was a 45 Colt short.
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm
[/quote]
Excellent Reading

It helps verify some of the Caliber History I undersood .

Hagen

Last edited by HAGEN442; 02/05/12.

"A Man's Got To Have A Code, A Creed To Live By, No Matter His Job"

"The Wind Is Your Friend" Man of Wisdom
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Now, is it calibre history or cartridge history? laugh grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
This has been beaten to death over the years. IIRC, and I may not, Mike Venturino listed examples, in one of his articles or books, of the 45 Colt being called the "Long Colt" back in the old west era. I think he also may have found examples of cartridge boxes so designated. To me, that settles the issue. The term was evidently in usage on the frontier, how commonly, I don't know. I have always preferred "45 Colt" myself, because I'm not into drama, but that's just me. Either term is fine.

Exactly. There is enough proof that over the many years of the 45 colts existence there has been a need to differentiate between two case lengths that may or may not fit in the 45 caliber gun you have.

What some people find to get overly agitated with ...

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have "heard" that the ".45 Long Colt" name was intended to differentiate the longer ".45 Colt" cartridge from the shorter ".45 Schofield" cartridge that the U.S. Army used in the S&W Schofield revolvers back in the 1870s-1880s. Being shorter, the .45 Schofield cartridge will fit/fire/eject from a revovler chambered for the .45 Colt, but because the .45 Colt has a longer case, the reverse wasn't true.

I have also "heard" that the 44-40 wasn't popular in revolvers because the case would sometimes "back out" and jam the cylinder. Not so with the straight case of the .45 Colt.

Jeff

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
maybe because the GI's refered to the issue 1911 as a colt 45 and the 45 long colt stops confusion.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
here is somthing interesting. from my colt book all early single actions were refered to as 45 colt starting 1982 generation 3 they refered to the chambering as 45 LC. also my reproduction 1873 is marked 45 LC.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
In all instances he kept referring to 45 Long Colt and how accurate he was in all his historical information.

Rant over!!!!!

Just like when people refer to chamberings as calibers.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
It makes as much sense as calling the 270 WSM a short magnum. The nomenclature suggests there should be a long one.

Lol, there is, the 270 WB.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have "heard" that the ".45 Long Colt" name was intended to differentiate the longer ".45 Colt" cartridge from the shorter ".45 Schofield" cartridge that the U.S. Army used in the S&W Schofield revolvers back in the 1870s-1880s. Being shorter, the .45 Schofield cartridge will fit/fire/eject from a revovler chambered for the .45 Colt, but because the .45 Colt has a longer case, the reverse wasn't true.

That's my undrestanding of it too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They had penis envy back then, also, and like today it carried over to their choice of cartridges.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I imagine it came into usage shortly after introduction of the 45ACP.

Smooth, very smooth. laugh

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Just one of my pet peaves like those who ask what caliber did you shoot the elk with.

I'm with you, Mugsy.

Sad to say, even the firearms industry is just as bad. I don't think any of my Ruger SAA's have the chambering stenciled on them. They only say "45 Caliber". I have seen more of these examples than I care to see.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ingwe - "Yep and I saw another John Wayne Movie- I forget the title- set in post Civil War 1866-1867

the Duke was packing a '73 Colt SAA and a model '92 Winchester..."

The great director John Ford, and actor John Wayne, never bothered to pay much attention to the proper firearms for the period in which their flicks were supposed to take place. Just use whatever "Duke" wanted, and whatever worked best with the five-in-one blanks. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
To clear up all confusion it was never named the long colt so i officially now name it - The 45 Long Colt- there, i just made history

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It angers my wife when we are watching western movies and I point out....."No wonder the indians got their butts kicked. The cowboys are using rifles (or revolvers) that hadn't been invented until 20 years after this fight took place".

I ALWAYS notice when firearms aren't of the proper period in films. One of my biggest complaints is when the actors are using percussion (or flintlock) muskets that are of the correct time period and "look" right.....until they or an extra in the background flips up the loading gate on the disguised trapdoor rifle to load.

If you go to all the trouble to make the firearms "look" correct for the film, why would you ruin all those efforts by showing someone loading cartridges in a muzzle-loading rifle? Don't they have editors who watch for things like that? It would take little effort to cut the 2 seconds of film showing the incorrect trapdoor.....or better yet do it right the first time and not have to edit it out.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My father used to jump me for carping about Indians in sunglasses and such, so I quit doing it (most of the time). I still notice it though.

How about when a Gatling gun rakes off the Indians, Rebel cavalry, etc. but no horses are hit?

I am OK with Ruger marking Blackhawks .45 Cal. though, because so many have .45 ACP cylinders. Better to be vague than incorrect.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
SAAMI doesn't recognize "45ACP" either ... there is no such thing as 45ACP but nearly everyone calls 45AUTO 45ACP.

Put my in the "I hate .45 Long Colt" club.

I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

620 members (1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,308
Posts18,449,130
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.