Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
One of my ancestors (a 5th great uncle from the part of the family that stayed in England) won the Victoria Cross (posthumously) during the Boer War and is buried at Driefontein.

Short Bio:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=8543814

VC Citation:

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/vc_victoria_cross/francis_newton_parsons.htm

[Linked Image]

I have also recently discovered that I had relatives from my mother's side of the family (the part that stayed in Germany and didn't migrate to America)that fought with the Boers.

At least one rode in the same Commando as Deneys Reitz

http://www.tokencoins.com/boer/book/index.htm

I am still tracing down all the names and other information on them.

One of the big items on my Bucket List is to visit South Africa and pay my respects to my kinsmen and their comrades.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 02/17/12.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Very interesting information, you should make it an absolute priority to go to SA.

By the way how did it come about that you taught a course in colonial Africa? I have never seen anything like that offered at a college where I live. I would have taken it in a second.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is SO cool! thanks for sharing with us. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rxgremlin
Very interesting information, you should make it an absolute priority to go to SA.

By the way how did it come about that you taught a course in colonial Africa? I have never seen anything like that offered at a college where I live. I would have taken it in a second.

I was working as a part-time Adjunct Instructor and a slot opened up for an 8:00 AM (none of the tenured Liberals would teach that early) Themes In World History class that allowed the Instructor to totally design the course content.

It was a lot of fun to do that.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I am a part time adjunct professor too but unfortunately my background isn't in history....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am a part time adjunct professor too but unfortunately my background isn't in history....

What discipline do you teach?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am also tracking down some more references on my mother's side that say there was an African lady in Barbados who was a relative.

She was the "household manager" (read concubine) of an ancestor who ran a sugar plantation.

According to the stories, she was reputed to be a Zulu princess and the most beautiful woman in the Caribbean.

Who knows I might be related to old Shaka Zulu himself. smile

Last edited by hillbillybear; 02/17/12.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
DUDE!

Minority scholarship! Minority applicant status for .gov jobs, too!

You done hit da lotto, bro... wink

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Cool stuff there, Sean!

Does that qualify you for resident status for hunting licenses is SA?

If it does, please remember that we are closely related...

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Um, not me, man.... HBB is the dude with the connections.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
DUDE!

Minority scholarship! Minority applicant status for .gov jobs, too!

You done hit da lotto, bro... wink

I was thinking more like I am heir to the throne of Zululand and now own all these thousands of hectares of land and the exclusive Royal hunting rights.

Well.. a guy can dream grin

Or I guess I could claim to be a Halfrican like Obugger and go into politics sick cry

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
You got my vote, if'n a brutha can get a bail-out... wink

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll put you on the "List" grin

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
hbb: this is some pretty cool beans....If you are heir to Zululand...let me know....I can be your prime minister.... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ok you can be the PM.

You have the leopard print drawers so you are already half way there grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HBB then you should find this rather interesting Ditsong Museums

This is one of the best museums in the country and they are always willing to assist with requests for information, especially from abroad. Maj John Keene is the curator who will refer any requests to the correct department.

It's the Anglo Boer War please! grin Them Brits came over, recognized us at the Sand River Convention and after the fact took our land that we took from other people that they took from other people. I wonder what the UN would have said about all of this? I wish paul375 would read this!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PieterKriel
HBB then you should find this rather interesting Ditsong Museums

This is one of the best museums in the country and they are always willing to assist with requests for information, especially from abroad. Maj John Keene is the curator who will refer any requests to the correct department.

It's the Anglo Boer War please! grin Them Brits came over, recognized us at the Sand River Convention and after the fact took our land that we took from other people that they took from other people. I wonder what the UN would have said about all of this? I wish paul375 would read this!!

Thank you for the museum link. That is exactly what I am looking for.

I will be contacting Major Keene ASAP.

And you are correct, I should have correctly said Anglo-Boer War.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Just out of curiosity why do few people call it the Second Boer War or the Second Anglo Boer War? There were two of them you know. In fact I was talking to a PH and she had no idea there was a first. Any thoughts?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
very cool, hbb.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just out of curiosity why do few people call it the Second Boer War or the Second Anglo Boer War? There were two of them you know. In fact I was talking to a PH and she had no idea there was a first. Any thoughts?

In short the two wars were caused by the tensions between British colonial policy and Boer nationalism:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/victorians/boer_wars_01.shtml

http://pinetreeweb.com/perspectives.htm

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v18/v18n3p14_Weber.html

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/WARboer.htm

Last edited by hillbillybear; 02/18/12.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.