Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
gerry35 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone know what the options are for a light weight stock for a Ruger 77 Mk II or Hawkeye? A McMillan Edge would be my choice but apparently they don't make it for a Ruger. I'm looking to build a 35 Whelen that weighs in under 8 lbs scoped and ready but preferably closer to 7 lbs and have a decent weight barrel. With a Remington or Winchester that goal can be easily reached but what a bout a Ruger? I'm looking out there at different LH actions and seeing what can be done.

Gerry.
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
About your only option for the ruger is a MPI. I have heard mixed things about the MPI and I just haven't had the guts to try one yet, but I will at some point.

I have 5 rugers in McMillan MkII classics and its nice but they are about 32oz.

If McMillan would offer the ruger in an edge I would order one today and probably a second in a few months.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If you can find a Rimrock or Borden they are quite light. Discontinued now I have 3 that I am keeping, one of the Rimrocks is on a LH Ruger 35 Whelen IMP around 7.5# They are all RH that I converted to LH had to leave cheekpiece on. Pendelton composites might make one they are quite light unsure if Wayne builds one on a LH Ruger.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even though it's not listed on their website, I have an email from Brown Precision stating that they will make one for a MKII. They had one at an Expo I attending 3 years ago as well. Might be worth a look.

Though I don't know how much work it took or what it cost, a member (338RCM I think) here had a gunsmith alter a Bansner to fit a MKII.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
Even though it's not listed on their website, I have an email from Brown Precision stating that they will make one for a MKII. They had one at an Expo I attending 3 years ago as well. Might be worth a look.

Though I don't know how much work it took or what it cost, a member (338RCM I think) here had a gunsmith alter a Bansner to fit a MKII.

I've got a Bansner and a MPI,I think theyre both great stocks!!

The smith that did them for me said its not a big deal to inlet the Bansner to a MK-II
[Linked Image]

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Pendleton Composites will make one and bed your barreled action into it for $595 IIRC, hopefully I get to send them a LH Stainless. 270 before too long....

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pendletons website lists a tang saftey model but not a Mark II?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had MPI do a stock for a LH Cooper and I have been very pleased with it. A number of years back I had Kerry O'day (Match Grade Arms) do a LH 77, while I don't recall who makes Kerry's stocks, I was pleased with the outcome.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Brown Precision has a 1 pd'r if you want a 7 1/2 lb. gun

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I've e-mailed Pendleton Composites and they do make a LH Mk II stock.

IC B3

gerry35 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys I have looked at all of them and they look prety good, I have a Brown Precision stock right now on a gun and it is pretty light. I haven't really heard of Pendleton Composites before but their stocks look pretty good especially the Sako style and Classic with the cheek piece. Bansner and MPI look like they make a quality stock as well. I have shied away from doing a custom on a Ruger 77 MK II because of not being able to find a good lightweight custom stock but it turns out there are some good ones available. A LH Win model 70 is so hard to find but a Ruger is much easier to get plus I really like them. More things to ponder, thanks again.

Gerry.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I feel your pain on the shortage of LH controlled round feed actions.... consider a Montana Rifle Company if you're gonna build.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If you get a LH Ruger Pendelton let us know what you think. The bedded LH blanks were around $300 when I asked for a LH SA MRC

kk alaska

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I've finally allocated the funds for a proper build, but as usual works starting to slow down. Hopefully ill get to start putting the pieces together soon....

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a pendleton ultra light weight stock for a model 7 wayne builds a very nice, light, and very stiff stock. I like the stock. Wayne not so much. I did re bed the stock as his bedding was not close to stress free. I also had him coat the metal and this is where my problems with him are. He did not plug the muzzle or chamber and did a good job of bead blasting them and coating the chamber and first inch of muzzle. Of course neither should be done to those two things. His answer was, I might have for got to plug them, but its no big deal just have your smith polish the chamber back out and shorten the barrel "its real no big deal". Which it may not be but sure not what I wanted with a brand new custom barrel or service and workmanship from a custom smith. Other then that he said just shoot it who cares it will probably be fine,
So I think he does make a good stock, probably the same as mpi from what he learned when he worked with them. But you decide if you want to take a chance that it comes out good or want to deal with him if something is wrong.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Call Rick at Extreme Rifleworks in Nebraska. He will get you rollin in a lightweight Ruger stock.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Doesn,t Rick use MPI stocks? He used to be in AK I believe when he was here thats what he used.

kk alaska

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know it's not a MKII, but Wildcat in Edmonton makes really good stocks and offers a MKI stock (tang safety). http://www.wildcatcomposites.com/ruger.html
Maybe he can make one for a MKII if enough people ask? Very stiff and light stocks.

gerry35 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AB2506
I know it's not a MKII, but Wildcat in Edmonton makes really good stocks and offers a MKI stock (tang safety). http://www.wildcatcomposites.com/ruger.html
Maybe he can make one for a MKII if enough people ask? Very stiff and light stocks.

Thanks, I looked at them too haven't yet contacted them about the MK II yet.

Gerry.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by longshot3
Call Rick at Extreme Rifleworks in Nebraska. He will get you rollin in a lightweight Ruger stock.

I agree Longshot.Rick did both of the Rugers I pictured and has another in his shop at this time. Wouldnt trust anyone else to bed a rifle for me

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

172 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,239
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.