N
Ruger LCR

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So, what all guns have the hated magazine disconnect? Seems some pretty popular guns have them. Some even with a better reputation than Ruger have them.
Any actual confirmed instances where the MD caused a civilian, or a LEO, to be killed or worse?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have carried a Kahr Mk9 in my right hand pocket since they were introduced. When I don't carry the Kahr I carry a Walther TPH and still feel well prepared. It is deadly accurate.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Do yourself a favor and check out the s&w bodyguard. 380, it's reliable, thin and light. Recoil isn't anything. Shot 200 rounds in about 25 min and didn't fail and didn't hurt the hand. Comes with a laser too

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks for the suggestions. I saw a lot of mentions of Kahr and S&W. As I noted earlier, I already have an MK-9 Elite as well as a 642. Great guns, and there are times when I carry each, but they're not right for every occasion -- and I don't consider either optimal as a true "pocket" gun.

So... I bit on an LCP today. My friendly nearby Cabela's had them on a doorbuster sale this morning as a kit (two mags, a soft case and a blackhawk No. 3 pocket holster)for 319.00. Throwing $50 in points toward it sweetened the deal further.

Looking forward to feeding this tiny beast and seeing how it performs... although I'll probably get a couple of Pearce mag extensions for just a bit more purchase on the grip. They look a little more functional than the single Ruger extension that came in the box.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am currently going back and forth between:
1) the LCP [ loaded with 1100 fps 90 gr Gold Dot] with laser in the shirt pocket
2) PF9 [loaded with 100 gr Hinterberger +P+] in the coat pocket.

If I visit that hive of scum and villainy [Seattle] I carry a 45 in one pocket and a 9mm in the other.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
KW, Thinking you're gonna like that LCP---even though it has the much hated MD.
Sorry for booging your thread earlier. However, I learned some things from it and the other thread. Learned that the percieved evils of MD is minimal, but come resale time it'd be easier to hawk a non-MD handgun because of the rumoured evils. Sorta like the Push Feed vs. CRF schools of thought. (Anybody have any proof of anyone actually getting stomped because a PF rifle failed to feed? Doubtful.)
But in the world of handguns it seems to be common thinking that one round in the pipe that will go bang is better than a disabled gun. Just wondering where the spare rounds are being carried if the magazine is already dropped/lost/stolen. Suppose I should carry my Glock (concealed of course) with a spare mag or two and a pocketful of loose rounds so it'll still be functional single fire when I lose my magazines?
Just funnin here.
Congrats on your new toy/tool. Betting that if you ever send it down the road it won't be because of the Magazine Disconnect.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Yes, it's been an interesting thread. If I really wanted to stir the pot I'd challenge everyone to post their top choice in a self defense load -- and prove why it's the best -- for each of the common self defense calibers. That argument could go on for years, but it's an important one.

After all, it's the bullet that really gets the job done. I think I'll do a little testing with Hornady's Critical Defense 380 load for starters... I've been watching quite a few test videos lately and was surprised to see how often certain highly touted JHPs plug up with clothing material and fail to expand... or how often Rem Golden Sabers shed their jackets (despite having a great street reputation)... etc.

The more you study all the studies and analyze all the variables, ad infinitum, the more you're drawn full circle to the timeless wisdom of old Wyatt: Accuracy is everything.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Desert Eagle

Micro desert eagle that is.
Failed a few times in first 100 rounds but flawless since even after slide cracked. Magnum Research customer service was excellent in repairing under warranty. After 1,ooo rounds thru it now, have no issues relying on it. Much more solid feel than LCP's and Keltec's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
442, but if I were to get another, I probably would lean toward the 642 to negate finish issues.

[Linked Image]

Not for pocket carry, but approaching nirvana. A 3913 and Milt Sparks:
[Linked Image]

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Taurus TCP or CW 9.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After working on my P238 - strengthening the recoil spring and reducing the excessive extractor tension, it got through 50 rounds with no failures. Much more testing is required, but that's way better then it was doing smile It's looking promising after all smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Taurus 85 Ultra Lite .38spc if it's jacket weather.NAA .22mag mini revolver if it's T shirt weather.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The LCP does NOT have a magazine disconnect feature.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Ruger 380, Kahr CW9,40,45

The Kahr CW's will slip under your belt with the muzzle in your watch pocket...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a keltec P3AT, kahr CM9, and a springfield XD subcompact. I carry the keltec 90% of the time and its in my front pocket. And its very reliable.

Sean
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
41mag is correct, LCP has no magazine disconnect. I have run about 250 rounds thru mine with out a glich, including some of my handloads. Point and shoot is excellent, accuracy is very good for a small gun. There's a reason Ruger took over 40,000 orders for them the year they were introduced at the Shot Show!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The 380 was a common police and military round in Europe for many years, and probably still is in many countries. No, not the best defense round, but can't always conceal the 1911 too well! To call the 380 worthless is taking it a bit too far, IMO

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
DiamondBack DB 9
The more I carry and shoot it, the more I like it.
I can forget I have it on me.

http://diamondbackfirearms.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have never seen one of these. Looks very good. How's it to shoot? 11oz is less than the LCP I believe. Recoil manageable? Can I ask how much these sell for? Thanks

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
119 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,359 guests, and 711 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.