Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
John what does the G30 run for bolt to raceway clearances?
And is the bolt and handle 1pc?

Ackley,

I have never seen the prints so I don�t know how much clearance is the spec.

I have 4 actions here and they each have about .003 to .004 clearance. All the bolts are within .001 so I would suspect that is the ball park. I don�t want anything tighter in a hunting action.

The bolt body and head is one piece but the handle is brazed on the body.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just so you know on the Defiance action the bolt body and handle are made from one block of material.
A heck of a lot of machining....
The bolt knob is screwed on.
Nice pictures John.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
actually the best custom action is BAT machine. they machine the scope rail AND recoil lug into the action. this makes the action stiff as hell and you have the barrel shank tightened up against a recoil lug that WILL not move. you can pin a 700 lug or have some fancy way of attaching it, but its still not part of the action. not part of the action = not as gooooud. the bat action is a bank vault, it has tight tolerances but the spiral flutes are good at keeping it running. I have shot .5 moa at 500 yards with it with a wind that was gusting 5-6 mph left to right without adjusting my wind holds, vertical spread was 3/4". this is with a #5 barrel. only problem now is I want more bat machine actions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never followed Bat very much.
Seen one with the built on rail and it was very nice.
You know how the bolt handles are attached?
Trying to order a Bat would be a very confusing ordeal.
There web sight is a confusing mess of alphabet soup abbreviations that dont mean dick to anyone.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I agree with the alphabet soup thing... so I just called and asked. Very helpful guys at BAT. In the end I did a little internet research, came up with a few different HR's available, and ordered one from Bruno, shipped the next day.

IC B2

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
John that's a great explanation and write-up on the McMillan G30. I didn't know all tose things about it.Thanks for taking the time to post up those pictures.Mmmm....

I did like your rifle real well.....oh, man this is getting complex.... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Hard not to like a G30, nice lines and good materials..!

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That Mcillan site is NOT a good place to hang out.... eek grin

Nice stuff, indeed!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Bob,

If you are considering upgrading to a custom action I would recommend you check out the McMillan G30. Of all the upgrade 700 style actions this one is my favorite for a number of reasons.

1. Highest grade of materials, 17-4 PH stainless for the receiver and 9310 bolt.

2. Rear bridge is dropped down to accept all Rem 700 scope mounts. Most custom actions take the easy way out and keep the rear bridge at full diameter.
[Linked Image]

3. Large loading port gives better access to the action and makes loading and unloading surer and easier. I am not a fan of the reduced size loading ports in most custom actions as the minimal gain in stiffness is not worth the hassle of loading when I have gloves on or am in a hurry.

4. Functional bolt fluting. In my opinion fluting is done to give dirt and crap a place to go when operating under less than sterile conditions. Every other action I have seen stops the flutes short of the bridges and therefore it serves no purpose but cosmetic and a very minor reduction in action weight. The flutes on the G30 run under the bridges. The flutes are also not cut with a ball nosed endmill but rather with a milling cutter that produces steeper side walls in the flutes and more efficient flute geometry for breaking ice under the bridges.
[Linked Image]
5. The G30 has an enclosed cocking piece and it will help prevent gas from reaching the shooter in the event of a catastrophic case failure. I had a major case blow up in my G30 264 Win Mag (The one you shot) from a major screw up (bore obstruction) and no gas made it to my face.

6. The best designed primary extraction cam I have seen.

7. The firing pin/cocking piece can quickly be removed from the bolt in the field without tools.
[Linked Image]
8. Being a push feed action allows the G30 to have the spring-loaded plunger ejector that ejects the case sooner in the cycle than a blade style ejector. The problem with a spring loaded plunger is, very rarely, it can stick under harsh conditions or more commonly if you are running high pressure loads and shaved brass accumulates in the plunger bore. As a back up the G30 also has a blade style ejector that will kick the case out at the end of the stroke if the plunger ever fails.
[Linked Image]
9. The claw extractor is an improved Sako style.

All this extra costs extra and the G30 is pretty pricey but when you consider the cost of the G30 vs other custom actions you are at least getting something other than a warmed over 700 with a shiny polish on it. (Said in jest and not meaning any disrespect for any one elses favorite action) laugh laugh

On the 20 MOA bases I saw a Weaver 20 MOA rail the other day in a gun store for 30 bucks for the Rem 700. It was aluminum so it will be pretty light weight for a 1 pc rail.

For me I like the Rem 700 for the economics and solid functionality but if I want a better action I need to actually get more than a tighter fitting bolt, smaller loading port and shiny finish. The G30 is darn sure better. At least in my opinion. grin

John what is the diffence between the primary extraction cam on the G30 and a Defiance or Rem 700?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
actually the best custom action is BAT machine.

I completely agree with "CC" on this.............but this is not how Bob started out this thread, thing's have got a bit side tracked since the OP

IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Bob needs to know all of this stuff ...so he can make a wise decision smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Talk about some nice stuff.....really nice rifles. From full customs down to less expensive stuff.
What about a #1 Ruger or Howa action?
Are there too many short comings in them to be acceptable?

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
actually the best custom action is BAT machine.

I completely agree with "CC" on this.............but this is not how Bob started out this thread, thing's have got a bit side tracked since the OP

rockchuck....yes they have! But that's OK...I'm learning a lot about actions I don't know a thing about,and have never owned.I am pretty much a nuts and bolts rifleman/hunter.....folks posting this info are more knowledgeable than me on this stuff,and I want this rifle to take advantage of the newer advancements.

It's learning experience and all good! wink smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Now that's a new one, two different ejector systems. And the extractor ?
And why do we need two of them.... ?
From what I've seen, the big problem with the Remingtons are their safety and enclosed trigger designs. Have a little crud, carried by some rain water run down into the trigger groups and lots of funny things happen. The bolt release is another thing that I've seen act up.
But what do I know. I'm a big fan of the old 98 Mauser, and the modern CRF Rugers and Winchesters. Those poor dumb target shooters of days gone past just didn't know what they were missing with their well used, pre-64 actions. E

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well Bob, have you made any definite choices yet? That McMillan looks pretty sweet.

Terry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Now that's a new one, two different ejector systems. And the extractor ?
And why do we need two of them.... ?
From what I've seen, the big problem with the Remingtons are their safety and enclosed trigger designs. Have a little crud, carried by some rain water run down into the trigger groups and lots of funny things happen. The bolt release is another thing that I've seen act up.
But what do I know. I'm a big fan of the old 98 Mauser, and the modern CRF Rugers and Winchesters. Those poor dumb target shooters of days gone past just didn't know what they were missing with their well used, pre-64 actions. E

That McMillan action has two ejectors and a side bolt release unlike the Remington 700.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had no idea that Mcmillan was that nice...

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TC1
Well Bob, have you made any definite choices yet? That McMillan looks pretty sweet.

Terry

Terry: No, not yet frown.....still thinking but I do like the McMillan.They are all nice, which is the problem... confused smile

Looking through the McMillan website, it occured to me maybe I should just have them build the whole damned rifle on that Bartlein tube.....I mean they have everything I would need right there,and I hate chasing various parts for a rifle.But I have not contacted them to discuss it.

E: I understand what you're saying but I don't want a pre 64 for this rifle...I could have had one easy (there was a 308 action right in the shop),but I want 700 or one of these more modern PF actions for this rifle. smile

As you know...I love pre 64's but for the LR applications intended here, it is just easier to have a trued up and squared action that way, rather than have to work over a pre 64 for the purpose.

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/20/12.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sako Action all the way with a 30mm LR 4.5x14.
No need for a 20 moa with that scope.

McEdge Classic.

2nd choice, 700 with the new Mcmillan Game Scout stock.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
703 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 74 invisible), 3,069 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.