Print Thread
Hop To
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I've been thinking about getting a suppressor.

Here is what I currently understand:

1. Need to apply to BATF and pay the $200 "tax" for the can.
2. Need local LE to sign off on it.
3. If/When approved the same can can be used on multiple weapons of the same caliber.

Here is what I am interested in doing. I am thinking about getting a can for .223 cal and also being able to use it on a .22 cal and a .22 Mag. It is my understanding that the size and suppression ability of one for a .223/5.56 would be a bit of over-kill when fitted on a .22LR/.22 Mag., but that shouldn't be too much of a problem...right?

Am I missing anything?

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
m3taco
I have been told by a shop owner that a larger "Can" can be used on a smaller Diameter bore size he suggested for a hand gun to get a 45 and then use it on lesser calibers. He also indicated that surprising an over-sized "Can' actually works better. I don't know if true just passing on what I was told. Suggest you check it out for your self. Good Luck. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by m3taco

3. If/When approved the same can can be used on multiple weapons of the same caliber.

Here is what I am interested in doing. I am thinking about getting a can for .223 cal and also being able to use it on a .22 cal and a .22 Mag. It is my understanding that the size and suppression ability of one for a .223/5.56 would be a bit of over-kill when fitted on a .22LR/.22 Mag., but that shouldn't be too much of a problem...right?

Am I missing anything?
That's all correct. You might ask on subguns.com for any specific cans that've produced better results in multiuse applications.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You've pretty much got it figured out. A lot of people will tell you not to use rimfire's in a centerfire can because of lead build up inside of it. I've done it for a long time and have never had any trouble. The secret is to make a solution of 50% auto-transmission fluid and 50% mineral spirits. After you shoot the can with rimfires let it soak a few days in your solution. I usually keep mine in a big Gatoraide bottle. The transmission fuild has detergents in it that keeps the lead off the walls.

A local guy that owns a suppressor company turned me onto the idea.

Terry

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by m3taco

Am I missing anything?

Sounds as if you have included everything but the wait. I just received the tax stamp for my first can after an exact six month wait. I sent the package in on 15 August, they cashed the check on the 18th, and I received the stamp last week.

One thing that you might consider doing is looking into creating a trust to own the can so that members of the trust may inherit the can when you die. I'm not sure exactly how this works, but I'm looking into it as I'm finding that suppressors are kind of like 'tater chips, you can't have just one.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+ one million on the Trust!!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've got three suppressors, two .22 caliber, one centerfire. There are a couple of problems with center/rim interchangability. First is the diameter of the threading; my centerfire suppressor has a larger thread than my .22s. Getting the all-purpose suppressor hasn't been my experience. And a rimfire suppressor (which will fit an AR flash hider) won't adequately suppress a 5.56.

Second is that a large suppressor (centerfire) will often block iron sights. Can't see them with that big can on the end. This is the case with a pistol of mine, even with a .22 suppressor...it's quiet, but I can't see the front sight. No problem with a scoped rifle.

My best suppressor is the 10-22 with the full barrel suppressor. Looks like a heavy barrel 10-22 and is pretty quiet.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the inputs so far.

A little more detail - I'm thinking of using the can on a single shot rifle (H&R) as the primary platform for all three barrels. All barrels would be with scope mounts and the barrel contour and muzzle ends are just about the same.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I just received the stamp and picked up my Gem-Tech Outback II. I have three firearms upon which I can use it, a 10/22, a Savage Mk IIFVSR, and a Ruger Mk II. I love this thing!! Quiet, and doesn't affect accuracy that I can tell. Did I mention that I love it?

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Are the barrels threaded, and if so what pitch?

IC B3

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The barrels aren't threaded yet. Still trying to decided if I want to do this or not. Probably won't have the barrels threaded until (if) I get the can.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A thing to look out for is the person who threads the barrels. I've had two barrels that required re-crowning after they were threaded. My CZ was threaded from the factory, like most European .22s are.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You want to be sure that the guy threading the barrels knows his stuff. If the can is canted in any way, the bullet can impact the can and ruin it.

Personally, I'd go with a factory threaded barrel, or someone that does barrels for a living like Green Mountain, Shilen etc. Having Joe $hit do the threading if he's never done it before can ruin a good thing. Just sayin', cause the pain and expense of getting the stamp is ruined if the can is ruined with the first shot.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Or send the barrel to the suppressor company to thread, that will keep your warranty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
+ one million on the Trust!!

Mike

when i finally get around to getting a can im going the trust route, less for the inheritance part but more so that i can name my wife and my brother as members of the trust so they can use the can when im not around without causing any legal issues.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
m3..,

Local LE is reluctant to sign off on suppressors here. A buddy found another way. He located a site on the net that, for a fee, lets an individual set up a 'Trust'. You cant sell it but anyone on the trust can inherit it.

Atf bought off and the paper work was faster on the suppressor than the handgun it went on.

O

Too old to suffer fools

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,961 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.