Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Hillbilly,

I am very familiar with the the Boer Wars I just think it is funny that almost no one mentions the first. It is like calling WWII "The World War" when in actuality there was World War I and World War II. Now the First Boer War was much shorter in duration but still.....

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I agree. Its a shame that the First Boer War is largely forgotten.

Not entirely unlike the War of 1812. It is seldom mentioned in History classes any more.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That may be true in the US but not so in other countries.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
England and Canada both do a better job of teaching about the War of 1812( as well as WWI) than any school I have encountered in the USA .

Last edited by hillbillybear; 02/18/12.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rxgremlin
Just out of curiosity why do few people call it the Second Boer War or the Second Anglo Boer War? There were two of them you know. In fact I was talking to a PH and she had no idea there was a first. Any thoughts?

The politically correct term for it would be "First War of Independance" and then obviously Second one (1899 - 1902). First one only lasted about 6 months if memory serves me right. This could be why few people really knowing about it. Also, the term Anglo Boer War almost never is mentioned as the 2nd ABW.

The British were also involved in a number of battles against the Zulu Nation. Noteably the Battle of Isandlawana and the Battle of Rorkes Drift on the 18th and 19th of January 1879 which took place not too far from the Battle of Blood River (16 December 1838). In the Isandlawana battle the British suffered their biggest defeat against a non-rifle bearing opponent to date and at Rorkes Drift the most Victoria Crosses (VC's) which should be the same as the American Congressional Medal of Honor (CMO) were awarded for bravery in any battle in the British military history.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
ZULU

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058777/

is a great movie about Rorke's Drift

One of the very best war movies I have ever seen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HBB I have a Brit friend who is one of only 3 registered photo safaris in the country who may conduct tours on ALL the Anglo Boer War battlefields. I'm sure the old man would take the time to talk to you if you like?

Bob Wood

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Now that is my kind of vacation/tour trip.

I would definitely like to converse with this gentleman.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 02/19/12.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Be warned, he is OLD. wink In fact, when he lifts his arms you can see ancient rock paintings in his arm pits! grin

Seriously I enjoy his knowledge and his dedication. I told him about this post and he is more than willing to help in any way.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It pays to pay attention to the ancient ones.

Old Farts know lots of stuff grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Since we are discussing military history and such in Southern Africa, did anyone serve with or know Colonel Ron Reid-Daly or his outfit?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was unfortunately too young to and my dad too old to. I have his book and I have read it many times. He died just a short while ago unfortunately.

One of the many stories I remember about him was using a one-arm guy who could assemble and take apart an AK faster that most two handed people. There are some really great stories in the book, do you have it?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes, its a great volume. I once met a professor from England who took great umbrage that I spoke favorably of Reid-Daly in my lectures.

In fact the old boy damn near took a swing at me for supporting an "oppressor of the people's rights."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting how points of view differ! Hope you could talk some sense into him, but as is the case with most of those suckers it's like talking to door. Only difference is a door will talk more sense back to you.

One old fart who is celebrating his birthday today is 88 yo Bob. Not the one that knows about the Anglo Boer War, but ole Bob North of the Limpopo. I do not have it marked on the family birthday calendar, no sir, it was on radio news when I dropped the kids off at school this morning.

Now what shall I wish for his birthday...............?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It would be easier to teach my neighbor's jackass to sing Italian opera in Mandarin Chinese that it would be to talk sense to that professor from England.

Perhaps I could have beaten some sense into him. But even that would have been an all day job to get thru his hard liberal head.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 02/21/12.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Your post could be equally true about Uncle Bob north of the Limpopo.

Pieter maybe you could wish for some cholera in the party punch bowl. Maybe that way he could get a taste of what his subjects have suffered through during his reign.

Last edited by rxgremlin; 02/21/12.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am about half asleep this morning and it didn't register with me who Bob North of the Limpopo was.

I think a pre-frontal lobotomy with 175 grain Matchking would be just the ticket for his birthday gift.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Maybe the Campfire members who have Netflix should "celebrate" Bob's birthday by watching "Mugabe and the White African". It is available streaming and if you haven't seen it please take the time to watch it.

Mugabe and the White African

Last edited by rxgremlin; 02/21/12.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
HBB,

Wonderful post. I enjoyed reading it and would have taken your course if given the chance. Too bad that lecture series couldn't be on DVD like so many top courses now are.

Very distinguished looking gentleman in the photo. I'm sure you're proud of your heritage, as you should be. It is fun to look back over one's heritage and ask, what would I be doing if I was alive back then?

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

DF

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you for the kind words

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
633 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.