Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the link. I very much enjoyed because it brought back fun memories. My first rifle was a Rem.721. I bought it for $75 in the summer of 1959. I bought a 4x Weaver scope and Weaver mounts. That fall my Dad and I went to Colorado deer hunting and I killed two four point bucks and a doe. I had my 16th birthday on that trip in a small but cozy log cabin. We were hunting a small ranch and the rancher's wife baked me a cake in a cast iron skillet, best cake I ever ate. While I didn't use the 180gr bullets, I did use the 150gr Silver Tips.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks for sharing that memory, SuperT.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Thanks for sharing that memory, SuperT.

+1

Super T has us, the readers, there with him in Colorado, experiencing his adventure. That's a sign of a gifted writer, being able to tell a story while engaging the readers.

DF

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I shot my first gun deer at age 15 (1983 or so)with a 180 gr. Silvertip out of my Featherweight .308 with a 4x Redfield on it. the round came out of one of the 2 yellow boxes that came with the gun (39 rounds of .308, 1 of .358(?)) I was at my Dad's hunt club, in a blind, when two dinks came out, and to my untrained eye, they were shooters. At 50 yds out I put one right behind the shoulder, and the deer made it about 25 yards into some thick stuff but was easy to follow due to the heavy blood trail. I signalled my dad, and he came to help me with the deer, and I didn't understand the mixed pride for shooting a deer and disappointment with the lack of size then, but do now. Looking back at the damage and the blood trail, I can't help but think it was a thinner jacket on that bullet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I try to give posters the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes, even a blind hog finds an acorn.

It really pizzes me off when a poster tries to talk down to a forum member that I happen to like, by arrogantly acting dumb, which is an ostentatious display of bad manners. Without low class, some of these guys would have no class at all... frown

DF

He's the insufferable prick who started the thread about a deceased Forum Member who obviously was not here to defend himself. This jerk needs a Drano enema.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the link. I always wondered if I made a mistake using a 721 for a custom rifle. Guess not. smile

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"How did Mr. Selby ever manage?"

Mr. Selby knew how to maintain his triggers, those who have trouble with the Reminton/Walker trigger don't; that's the bottom line.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
This jerk needs a Drano enema.

Ouch...! shocked

That ought to clean him out... blush

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i just love how some of these threads have one nice, normal comment followed by some caustic bile, then nice normal comment, more caustic bile.

you can't get entertainment like this anywhere else.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
hillbillybear,

Thank you much for the link to the Selby/721 story. Haven't enjoyed a story that much in waaay too long a time.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Whenever we have a CRF vs. push feed topic here, a gazillion experts come out of the woodwork to explain how a Remington push feed cannot possibly be good enough to hunt in Africa. They obviously know a lot more than Harry Selby. What does he know? Probably never read a Capstick book. Instead, he just hunted with one for 50 years or so.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Funny this came up.

Last Friday I had a 1951 Remington 721/ 270 with a Denver Redfield 4x follow me home for $280.00.

I thought "why in the hecks am i buying this thing?"
Besides having a great rep for accuracy. I liked its simplicity and classic design.
The action seems very strong and smooth.
Came with irons of which I plan on playing with.

Ordered 250 130 Ballistic Tips to get it going.

My smith says the triggers are good and he likes them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Talking about the construction of the Silver Tips. It has been a long time ago, and I may not be remembering correctly, but I think (notice I think) that there were two types of Silvertips in the early 60s.

One was made to be used in the .300 H&H, and the other was made to be used in lower velocity cartridges. Supposedly, and again IIRC, the ones for the .300 H&H were of heavier construction.

IIRC, the Silvertips for the .300 H&H had dual cannalures, like those on the bullets shown. The ones for the .30-06, .308, and other cartridges had a single cannalure.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Whenever we have a CRF vs. push feed topic here, a gazillion experts come out of the woodwork to explain how a Remington push feed cannot possibly be good enough to hunt in Africa. They obviously know a lot more than Harry Selby. What does he know? Probably never read a Capstick book. Instead, he just hunted with one for 50 years or so.

Astute observation sir. These guys didn't often have the choice of what weapon they used when building their careers and just used what was available. Mr Selbys .416 was a rush replacement for a broken double and it then went on to became famous. No doubt anything that didn't work also didn't last long.

I can remember about two decades ago reading Mr Boddington stating the .300 H&H with a 180 were highly suitable for lion. (Legislation requiring a .375H&H+ aside), No doubt that suitability remains unchanged as demonstrated by Mr Selby, his .30-06 and fast opening projectles.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
1234567, great memory! I believe you are exactly right. I haven't thought about that in years. I used to buy surplus 06 stuff and pull the bullets replacing the military stuff with 150ST.(or anything I could buy on the cheap). That's when I could get the Military ammo for pennies a round.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Indy,
That is exactly why I started this thread. The general bashing of Remington 700's with reguard to push feed, dinky extractors, bolt handles, triggers etc. and suitability for general hunting, let alone African hunting has become a favorite past time on the internet. And here we have a story of Harry Selby using the precursor to the 700, a 721 in the common 30-06 chamberng and finding it satisfactory in every way. I guess he didn't know that he needed a custom built, bedded, tuned trigger, tweeked extractor, custom bottom metal, controlled round feed rifle in a wildcat magnum chambering to hunt general plains game along with lions and lepoards. Of course Harry Selby isn't an internet expert. Neither was Finn Aagaard. While Finn stated that he preferred mauser rifles, he had no problem if someone prefered a push feed rifle like a Remington, Weatherby, Savage or Browning.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
ar..,

I prefer Mausers too. That said, I've three 721s and a 722. They have all worked fine for me as two of them did for my dad and my uncle. Half a century with out a problem. Wish I could find a car,or any thing else, as good as the 721/722.

O

Too old to suffer fools
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SU35
Funny this came up.

Last Friday I had a 1951 Remington 721/ 270 with a Denver Redfield 4x follow me home for $280.00.

I thought "why in the hecks am i buying this thing?"
Besides having a great rep for accuracy. I liked its simplicity and classic design.
The action seems very strong and smooth.
Came with irons of which I plan on playing with.

Ordered 250 130 Ballistic Tips to get it going.

My smith says the triggers are good and he likes them.

The action is worth more than you paid for the gun and scope... smile

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
People do crap on about CRF. The biggest advantage with a Mauser action for me is the built in loose tolerances that allow the weapon to function in dirty/wet conditions. That's why I have Mausers. The CRF is a good feature but not the one that keeps it operating.

There are custom Mauser '98's with uber tight tolerances ! They offer no advantage over a PF.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (11point, 2500HD, 257 roberts, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 71 invisible), 2,961 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.