Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Ron Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
As I started off St. George Island, I saw two mature eagles swooping in an agitated manner. I cut across the road and managed to get a couple of shots at long distance and crappy light of this guy before he got into the trees. In the cropped picture of the second frame, it appears that he had been nailed by the eagles.

What do you think he is?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Capt Ron

Magnolia Bluff, FL..............Where Heaven is a local call!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Appears to be a regular coyote to me.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ron,
I don't know what it is for sure but you may want to take the photos down to Scipio Creek Marina to the St. Vincent's Island folks. I don't know if you are aware that they have been doing the wolf breeding program for lots of years on St. Vincents. It is not that unimaginable that one could swim over to St. George. It is one of the locations they were breeding red wolves. I think they have said they believed some of them had left the island. That was a couple of years ago that I had that conversation with them and went out to try and photograph them.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forget the color, everything else is definitely coyote. No mystery, just a coyote that has been rolling in dark dirt, or some odd color phase, still nothing but a coyote that got shot with a camera instead of a 22-250...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Again, I am not saying it is not a coyote, but I pulled out my papers from a trip to the island and there are several red wolves on a part of St. George Island(just over Sikes Cut) that is isolated by about 50 feet of water. My discussions with the folks managing the program have long believed the red wolves were actually a mix between grey wolves and coyotes. The folks down there believe their wolves have bred with coyotes. I am just curious to see what they would say. There really isn't much dark dirt down there, the island is known for it's white sandy beaches, so it would have to be an odd color phase.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like a coyote to me, although it's unusual to see them in that color.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If it's recent and one could get back and check the tracks, it takes about 4 coyote tracks to fill a single wolf track. Track spacing will also be about twice that of a coyote, and theres about a 25% size difference between front and rear wolf tracks.

1Minute
R
Ron Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Yes, I'm well aware of the the St. Vincent breeding program and plan on going by the refuge center, when they open this morning. I think it's a coyote,but it's neck and shoulders look a lot thicker than the others I've seen around here. Ours are normally not that stout. And dark soil is not in the equation, as the sand you see it on is the prevalent soil on the island.

Capt Ron

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never seen a southeastern coyote, but the pelage looks nothing like any coyote that I have seen (and I have seen a lot of them). I would say coydog. The ears and nose are wrong for a red wolf, although red wolves can vary quite a bit in physiognomy and coloration.

I am not current on the latest in red wolf genetics. However, the last time I read up on them it was hypothesized that they were a hybrid swarm with genetics from coyotes, domestic dogs and gray wolves. This makes me wonder what unique genetic information it is that we are saving with the captive breeding effort.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mudhen, that is sort of my thought here too. I have seen many of the photos of the wolves down here and they have had several dark ones before. The coyotes on the gulf coast tend to be very small and scrawny. The area they are doing the program was at one time a privately owned hunting preserve with exotics. They felt the wolves would cull the deer herds and boars on the island. I am just very curious.

IC B3

R
Ron Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Tom Lewis, who was the biologist over the wolf program, was killed in a plane crash last year. Because of that I didn't have a contact at SVI. I went by the office on Scipio Creek and got the name of the bio-tech that is still on the program, and I've sent him the pictures.I'll post his thoughts.

Capt Ron

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Ron Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Heard from the biologist at St Vincent and 2 from the ANERR and all agree that it's a coyote. As I said before the reason I questioned it's lineage was the bulk of it's front in...I guess sea food & cats suits it well!

Capt Ron

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My money's on a coydog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a Target..........dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Ron for getting the information. Cool pics too. I had not heard about the plane crash, I am sorry to hear it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Looks like a black coyote to me...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coy dogs are more less not.
I have seen coyotes with that coat color. Such phases remind me of a Akita.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Confirmation appears to be a coyote.

One would have thought it would have left before being roughed up like that! At least it appears the fur it's ruffled on it's back

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My guess would be a melanistic coyote. One was killed down here in Texas a few years ago. Melanism is pretty well documented in many mammals (Black Jaguars AKA Black Panthers) although, you don't hear too many coyotes having it which would make it a very cool find. Another pigment issue is Leucism which is almost the opposite of melanism (complete opposite would be albino) I've seen several times in the wild. I shot these photos of a leucistic Red Tailed Hawk last year:
[Linked Image]
Full Size: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5283/5247777744_cc08816530_o.jpg
and
[Linked Image]
Full Size: http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4126/5396258581_f30cefd28a_b.jpg
If it is a Melanistic coyote, I'm betting the local F&G would be interested in the find; it's pretty dang cool.
JP

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jason,

Love the flying hawk! It is now my current screensaver! smile

Very nice sharp picture too.

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.