Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fellas,

I could use some help:

I recently bought some Rainier Plated HPs and loaded them up. I have tried two different COL's (1.215" and 1.200") and have gotten the same problem: The first round out of the magazine won't feed. It goes forward until it jams against the top of the feed ramp at the base of the chamber.

Everything else has fed just slick--factory ammo of all kinds, Berry's plated, cast lead flat points, cast lead round nose, and SWC. Bullet weights from 185 gr to 230 gr all feed fine. The only problem I've had is with the Rainier 230gr Hex HP as stated above.

I've tried with several proven magazines. The mags and the gun are clean. My other pet load (230gr cast lead TCBB from Penn at 1.215") still feed/function fine.

I made a couple dummy rounds just to see if a different OAL would make a difference. Longer rounds didn't change anything. Shortening up to 1.185" to 1.190" made things a lot better. They go into battery, but not by a lot.

So...a couple questions:

1. Can I take loaded ammo and seat the bullet deeper and then re-crimp or am I going to blow myself up?

2. Any other ideas regarding this bullet to feed?

Thanks all!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is an idea for you, use that stuff as is at the 24hrcf Bowling pin shoot! smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe you'd like me to shoot my Sig .380 instead of my .45! smile

Wade

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would seat a few of them deeper, so that the entire bearing surface is inside the case and the ogive starts at the case mouth. Assuming you have used a taper crimp, you should be able to seat loaded rounds deeper and recrimp. As long as you are not already pushing the limits, you should have no safety issues.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Waders

That'd work too! I MIGHT have a prayer then. smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It my understanding that its Mark that should be using a Single Six for next year's shoot smile smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

If that is the smallest you have then it would be OK with me. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by avagadro
It my understanding that its Mark that should be using a Single Six for next year's shoot smile smile

Mark knows what he is doing with a 45. He cleaned my clock and did it with style. Looking back perhaps it would not have been the best time to show off my trick shooting skills by hanging the tops of five pins off the back of the table with five shots. crazy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I would seat a few of them deeper, so that the entire bearing surface is inside the case and the ogive starts at the case mouth. Assuming you have used a taper crimp, you should be able to seat loaded rounds deeper and recrimp. As long as you are not already pushing the limits, you should have no safety issues.

That is exactly how I load my 230 cast truncated cone.

Wade, you can seat the loaded ones deeper then rerun the Lee factory crimp die. Try a handful and see if it does not fix the problem.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fellas,

I could use some help:

I recently bought some Rainier Plated HPs and loaded them up. I have tried two different COL's (1.215" and 1.200") and have gotten the same problem: The first round out of the magazine won't feed. It goes forward until it jams against the top of the feed ramp at the base of the chamber.

Everything else has fed just slick--factory ammo of all kinds, Berry's plated, cast lead flat points, cast lead round nose, and SWC. Bullet weights from 185 gr to 230 gr all feed fine. The only problem I've had is with the Rainier 230gr Hex HP as stated above.

I've tried with several proven magazines. The mags and the gun are clean. My other pet load (230gr cast lead TCBB from Penn at 1.215") still feed/function fine.

I made a couple dummy rounds just to see if a different OAL would make a difference. Longer rounds didn't change anything. Shortening up to 1.185" to 1.190" made things a lot better. They go into battery, but not by a lot.

So...a couple questions:

1. Can I take loaded ammo and seat the bullet deeper and then re-crimp or am I going to blow myself up?

Thanks all!
Clean it and make sure it's got enough lube. Check your magazines. Check the feed ramp. The latter is probably the culprit in which case getting and old school feed ramp job is probably in order.

As to the first question, the safest route would be to pull the bullets and do it over.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
[/quote]Clean it and make sure it's got enough lube. Check your magazines. Check the feed ramp. The latter is probably the culprit in which case getting and old school feed ramp job is probably in order.

I've used the Ranier plated hollowpoints in 9mm in my K9 with no problems whatsoever - but never tried them in .45acp.

If it were my gun and adjusting the load length didn't work, I would be happy that it runs with other hollowpoints and with SWC, and sell/give the remainder of the Rainier fodder to someone who can use them. It ain't worth fussing with the gun over. Really - why do you want to spend extra money on the plated HP's vs cast SWC?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I sent Rainier an email, asking for some help.

A guy responded and said that they've had some real trouble getting that particular bullet to feed in Kimbers. (I sure appreciate his candor--that's refreshing!) He suggested an OAL of 1.190" and if that doesn't work to telephone him and he'd try to help me figure it out.

So, it looks like I was on the right track. I'm going to try some live rounds at 1.190" and see how it goes. Props (so far) to Rainier for their customer service!

...And I am off to shoot pins with that gun tonight at 7:00pm. I managed to squeak out a win last week. It's been a long time since anybody in the club has won two weeks in a row. I'm hoping for the best though...

Wade

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What magazine are you using?

If it's the stock Kimber, there are lots that are better, especially in a short gun.......you have a Pro, right?

MM

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Fellas,

I could use some help:

So...a couple questions:

Thanks all!

Use another bullet.

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Use another bullet.

Except I've got 1000 of them.

Wade

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
What magazine are you using?

If it's the stock Kimber, there are lots that are better, especially in a short gun.......you have a Pro, right?

MM

I used 2 different style Kimber mags, a Tripp Research and a Wilson Combat. All are proven mags with other loads.

Wade

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, if the Wilson's & Tripp's won't feed than it's another issue.

If the COL doesn't do the job, then I really wouldn't waste more time on it.

MM

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, in my Kimber, the most reliable mags have been "KimPro Tac-Mags," Kimber's own aftermarket magazines. Wilson Combat have been the least reliable (probably two jams). For EDC, I use the Kimber mags.

Wade

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Waders, connecting the dots from your other thread - did you get the recoil spring squared away?

Using one of your dummy rounds, does the slide snap into battery if you tap the muzzle with a piece of wood?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What type of 1911 do you have????

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
664 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.