Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

870 by the back door with #4 buckshot ought to be on your shopping list.

BP-B2

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mossberg 500 with seven rounds of #2s. It is what I own and what we will use. Wife knows how to make it talk and in 33 years I have never seen her miss with a rifle or a handgun. I doubt she will miss with a shotgun.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Just saw on the other thread you had a shotgun handy.

Good job.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There is a CZ in 22 K-hornet sitting in another corner. If dogs or wolf get into the sheep then I will put it to work. I can and have broken five paintballs at a hundred yards with the little CZ. I think that is minute of big dog at 300. 40 gr V-Max still have enough to slow down a big dog when they enter one ear and exit the other.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My next rip out your way, I will have some Tungsten Iron mix #T shot on hand to donate.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I mean, uh.... err TRADE for some Pineapple Upside down cake!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott F
... There were three Boerboels in the yard, one in our duck pen doing it's best to kill our ducks, one just watching and one stalking the wife. I hit the back yard and drew the 1911. three quick rounds into the ground and all I saw were Boerboel butts.My daughter was on the phone with the owner and he was begging me not to shoot his dogs. He can move pretty fast when his thousand dollar dogs are in my sights. All ended well and I think he will work harder at keeping them in. ...

The owner of these dogs is very foolish, one does not let such dogs roam around, specially as a group.

I hope they will not hurt somebody and make you regret your forgiving treatment of this matter.

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Once dogs pack up it's game over.
Pick out the leader, shoot it in the guts. It'll flop(135 SMK/270 Win of course) and start howling, next in line will run up to alpha like WTF.

Smoke it next.

By that time the rest of 'em will be high tailing it out.

Only when needed, shooting dogs sucks but sometimes it's the only thing to do.

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/22/12.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Those dogs, especially the one stalking my wife, followed by the one going after the livestock, would have died.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Scott;
I'm glad to read that your livestock survived the ordeal and that your local law enforcement were reasonable to deal with as well. It makes life so much more simple when folks are sensible about such matters.

Not that I have extensive experience with such things Scott, but the one coyote that we called in close enough to receive a charge of steel T's resulted in a very memorable postmortem for me. He was kind of "loose" all over inside. wink

So a vote for Mark's tungsten T's as a yard load from me! grin

All the best to you and yours my friend. As always you remain in my daily thoughts and prayers.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Glad to hear that you have fully recovered excepting the powder, primers, some gasoline to the sheriff's office, and some adrenaline.

From what you are saying, Sam Olsen is probably right, the dog owner is ignorant of the local 'etiquette'.

It also sounds like others have had run ins with those dogs. This probably means that if you can prevent the dogs from getting onto your property, it will be somebody else who will end up having to shoot the dogs. Sad, but not having to participate in dog owner's problems has its benefits.

Curious though, at what weight is a four legged critter going to be too big for even a .45 to make a quick effective kill? I remember JJHack concluding that it wasn't enough for a black bear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BC30cal

The same Officer Scott talked with got another call about two years ago from another friend of mine out on the Coyle Peninsula about twenty miles from Scott's place. A neighbor's two dogs came into her place and killed about half of her her prize goat herd. Her daughter's boyfriend killed one of the dogs and the other went went home. When the officer arrived he took the collar off the dead dog, which had the owner's name and address on it and went down to the owner's home and asked to see their dogs as they had been caught in the act of killing goats and the owner denied that her pets would do a thing like that. The officer and the owner went back to the kennel and the other dog was in the kennel covered in blood. When she was asked how come it was covered in blood she said oh it must have gotten into a fight with a bear. That was when the deputy told her that it was caught killing goats and that her it's mate wouldn't be coming home as it was laying dead in the neighbor's goat pen. He then took the remaining dog in custody and it was destroyed.

I know the officer in question and the wife and I have had a number of conversations with him over the years.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Without using names I will say he is one heck of a nice guy almost our age.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deersmeller

The owner of these dogs is very foolish, one does not let such dogs roam around, specially as a group.

I hope they will not hurt somebody and make you regret your forgiving treatment of this matter.

Today the owner was seen working on his fencing and the dogs were in all day.

The next time they are here they die. I have done my part and it up to the owner to do his. I hate playing the bad ass but I know I have to draw a line.

For what it is worth these three live and work together. They are livestock protection animals who live and work in the highest cougar concentration in the US and in heavy black bear population. They are trained by keeping them with goats and llamas. I have never seen them threaten a human of any size. The one that looked to be stalking my wife was probably looking to be petted but in the dark it was hard to tell. It did look spooky to her and finding herself suddenly surrounded in the dark unnerved a lady who is not easily unnerved. She has taken on bear and moose in the past without being armed. I have seen her sit in a creek and let water snakes swim between her feet. She has lived with me for almost 33 years. eek She does not spook easily. They spooked her but I do not believe she was in any real danger.

But, they will not do it again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dogs, even good ones, can get sucked into chasing birds. My lab and little poodle-creature even take a spin at our free-range chickens now and again, just to see them scatter and cluck.

If they are trained dogs, good around goats etc, you SHOULD be ok now.

Shoot 'em if not.

Another time I almost shot a dog was during a flood. Went out by the goat pasture because they were agitated. In my flashlight, I spot a very large, very wet, very unhappy Doberman (or similar). He was up against a fenceline, obviously lost. Weather was crazy. He finally started trying to leave and went within 30 yards of the goats. Wanted NOTHING to do with them but he was in the crosshairs of a .223 the whole time.

I'm a dog lover, big time. I'd hate to shoot someone's dog. I've had my dogs be a problem for others; when we bought this place ~20 years ago, our city dog didn't translate well to the country; killed a couple of the neighbor's goats. That sucked. So, I do have empathy for both sides, but in the end... shoot 'em if you need to.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by T LEE
Great outcome Scott, and man what a fast recovery. Did you find any unburnt powder? smile smile smile

Vacuumed for an hour but could not find one flake. mad

I think that if you look hard you might just find a few hanging around here at times. None of the present company, though. whistle

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
laugh laugh laugh

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Had you been on the border it might have had a different outcome by your shooting the dirt. Also if you try that up here with any of the predator bears you will be the one in the dirt.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Officer, it wasn't a "warning" shot. I was shooting to kill, I'm just a bad shot.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.