Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Curious what it is that y'all like better? I've got and use both the target and m1 but can't see how target is better. I don't shoot nearly as far as y'all do but I do twist the turret then back to zero? Thanks

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I much prefer the M1 to the regular target turrets.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I do too. I mean I don't plan on paying to have mine with target changed to m1 but every time I send one in its for m1's. Just curious about preferring the other. I'd certainly listen to what they have to say....espically someone who has a business dealing in such. I'm very much a rookie at this longer range stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm interested in what JB has to say, too, but I'm guessing that part of his motivation comes from the fact that the GB scopes come with Leup target turrets that have custom BDC engraving on them. Just a guess, though. He obviously chose those turrets for a reason when he was spec'ing out GB scopes with Leupold...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would an M1 ele knob on a VX-1 be a possibility?

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
CDS for hunting application and M1 for LR paper punching gets my vote.

I've used CDS scopes for the last couple of years for hunting applications and it it just doesn't get any better for the guy that limits himself to the 600-700 yard range or less.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I'm interested in what JB has to say, too, but I'm guessing that part of his motivation comes from the fact that the GB scopes come with Leup target turrets that have custom BDC engraving on them. Just a guess, though. He obviously chose those turrets for a reason when he was spec'ing out GB scopes with Leupold...

I think you can get a custom BDC for the M1's if I'm not mistaken, I'm guessing that JB like's the fact that the TT can be covered!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few of the minor downsides to the M1 over a straight target turret.

1. Less area on the turret for engraving.

2. Larger size makes it more prone to accidental adjustment while traveling in pack or scabbard.

3. Larger size makes optic slightly more bulky and optic takes a few more bangs

4. The Shroud tends to hold debris.

5. No way to cover the turret in situations where you want a cover.

Nothing very earth shattering but I can�t find any advantage the M1 has over the Target Turret

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I think you can get a custom BDC for the M1's if I'm not mistaken

Yessir, I believe you're correct, although I've not tried it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
A few of the minor downsides to the M1 over a straight target turret.

1. Less area on the turret for engraving.

2. Larger size makes it more prone to accidental adjustment while traveling in pack or scabbard.

3. Larger size makes optic slightly more bulky and optic takes a few more bangs

4. The Shroud tends to hold debris.

5. No way to cover the turret in situations where you want a cover.

Nothing very earth shattering but I can�t find any advantage the M1 has over the Target Turret

Of course #1 only counts if you use engraved turrets, and #2-3 are subjective because the M1 is wider, but the TT is taller. Numbers 4 and 5 are definitely valid, although I've not had either one cause a problem for me so far.

The advantages to the M1, IMO, are that it's slightly shorter, it is easier to spin with numb hands, and it's quicker and easier to read than the TT.

You're right, none of the differences are earth shattering. It's mostly just a matter of preference.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M1 turrets for me hands down. I do not care for the CDS turret; primarily because its too small. The target turret is fine, and JB is not guessing as to his preferences, but I've not noticed his preferences as advantages before. The M1 is easiest to read & spin; those are the only advantages I really care about in a turret.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by TannerGun
Would an M1 ele knob on a VX-1 be a possibility?

Yes

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet. I'm gonna do that this summer.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
I think the logical conclusion to this thread is that all three turrets work and each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by iddave
I think the logical conclusion to this thread is that all three turrets work and each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Dave

Sir you are way off base. The logical conclusion is if anyone disagrees with my choice they are worse than Hitler and deserving of all our scorn. laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
OK.... now that we have been full circle.. guess this could be the debate that never ends, but thanks for all the great info and thoughts thus far.. DD

Roll Tide Roll, now lets go hunting!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking that Burns's turret doesn't actually do anything, he and the guys he hunts with are just really good at guessing holdover wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CreekWarrior
The CDS comes with an MOA turret that is not one rotation limited, therefore it will operate to the technical limits of the scope - just like an M1.
The CDS and M1 turret will do the same things on similar scopes.
The CDS has a zero stop feature.
The CDS turret is lower profile than the M1.
The M1 does have the "cool look" factor.
I have used both turrets.
Some say the CDS turret can "unknowningly" spin out of adjustment in scabboards and such - I have never encountered this problem.

On a hunting rifle I prefer the CDS due to the lower profile and zero stop. On a long range or similar rig I prefer the M1 or Target turrets.

YMMV

I agree 100%. Here is my 4.5x14x40 LR 30mm tube. Love the low profile. No zero stops.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
You have a point there...though in reverse of course.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by iddave

Dave

Sir you are way off base. The logical conclusion is if anyone disagrees with my choice they are worse than Hitler and deserving of all our scorn. laugh laugh

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.