Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#6214683 02/24/12
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
started casting last weekend, wow is it addicting! I'm still figuring out the most efficient way to do it, and get practiced up. I still feel like all thumbs when it comes to the steps, but its worked, I've been safe, going slow and I managed to turn out a few hundred pistol bullets.
so far I have limited myself to .380 and .45 acp bullets because they are simple, tumble lube, low velocity no problem.

I'm gungho on this casting thing so now I want to try to cast for my 38-55 and 30-30, but to me the rifle bullet realm is a different ballgame with gas checks and slugging barrels etc. as far as I know there is no one around me who casts to show me the ropes, so I have to research it a lot and use my common sense to figure it out, the only thing I don't know is if I need gas checks, how to slug a 38 and 30 cal barrel and is it worth all the extra expense in getting the gas check hardware. any advice out there?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Personally I would recommend a gas check design, at least for the .30/30. Pick one from a major mold maker in the 150-170 gr. weight range and you won't be off much. If I had to recommend just one for starters it would be the old Lyman #311291. With just one mold, make it a gas checked one IMO. You can run it slow or fast, but a plain base bullet you can only run slow. (Overly simplified, but that's the gist of it.)

Slug your bore before buying any molds and bullet sizing dies. It's really easy. Push a soft lead #00 buckshot (or soft lead .32 pistol bullet) through the bore and then carefully mic it. Rule of thumb, size .001-.003" over groove diameter (not bore diameter-which is the top of the lands). The exact size will be dictated in the end by your particular rifle's demands, but it should fall within that range. If you really want to get anal about it, do a cerrosafe casting of the neck/throat area and select a bullet shape that allows for a perfect fit in the throat. Save that for later and just get a common .30 mold and size it a couple thousandths bigger than the bore and you'll be off to the races.

I'll let someone else talk .38/55's- out of my bailiwick.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
where do I find a lead .32 or 00 buck without buying a whole box?

thank you a bunch for the clarification by the way!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A simple expedient is to take a take a peice of aluminium
, brass, or in extremis a peice of hardwood about a 1/2 inch thick. Take a drill bit the the shank just fits into the muzzle of you barrel and drill a hole through the material you have selected and either wobble the drill to enlargen one end of the hole or use a file to do so. Clamp the material to another piece so one end is blocked, fire up your pot with pure lead and fill the "mould" push out from small end and you have a 'make do' slug that will self direct into the barrel with enough bulk to give full impression of bore and grooves. Just remember to oil the barrel before sluging to make this easier.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
great idea! why didn't I think of that!
why look for a metal slug when I can make one. thank you!

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I could probably answer all of your questions if you give me a call at the house. Instead of writing a book.

Last edited by blammer; 02/24/12.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
make sure you use pure lead as it's much easier to use when slugging a barrel. and lots of oil too. smile

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,394 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.