Campfire Member
W
??? Thanks for info......

"Sasquatch"
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i like the crushed walnut shells.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used corn cob for a long time. I added Dillion�s to polish my brass. I used treated nut shells for a little while. I now only use walnut. The walnut cleans the best but doesn't really polish. I do rinse and dry my walnut and reuse it, it seems indefinitely. The cleaned brass retains the perfect amount of size lube for reloading. I was getting wrinkles when sizing highly polished brass from too much sizing lube.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I go to the pet store and buy a bag of pet bird walnut litter...much cheaper than stuff sold as "media" and works just as well. I also add a capfull of "Nu-Finish" liquid car wax every 3rd usage. Shells come out looking "new".

In the Land of the Blind, the one eyed man is King

Know guns,know peace,know safety..No guns,No peace,NO safety
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
petsmart sells both corncob and walnut. i use both.

walnut for grungy brass, and all of my finished reloads go through corncom to get the sizing lube off.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B2

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
have you seen the stainless steel media for the tumblers tumbler?? it does a awesome job and never wears out!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm about ready to buy some myself, got a smaller 2 barrel version I think meant for rock/mineral polishing, wonder if it will be usable for polishing brass. Does the SS media require water to be included in the barrels?

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
yeah cold water,dawn, lemi-shine. about 1 gallon

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have found that the lizzard bedding is the same consisantcy as the walnut media. I had one container of each and they looked the same. and the lizzard bedding is about 1/3 of the price of the media that you buy at the reloading store.

That is the best deal I have found out. I'll pass it on to you guys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought a cement mixer and would like to get my hands on about 100lbs of stainless pin media.....any idea where to get it in bulk?

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I use walnut hull to which I add Mother's mag Wheel Polish, about 3 peas size lumps every third or fourth tumbling. I have both a vibratory and a RCBS tumbler, I prefer the RCBS for the timer although I built a timer for the vibratory unit.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
New to reloading--how long do you normally let the brass tumble for? Can it tumble for too long? Thanks!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I let mine tumble until I get the polish that I am looking for.
And that all depends on how dirty and tarnished it is before I load the tumbler.

If it is real bad I put it in the walnut shell first and check on it about every 15 min. or so until all of the dark is off of it.
And then I put it in the corn cob with polish run it for an hour or so and then start checking it.

I am not familiar with he metal medias I am still pretty old school. But it works for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ditto on the walnut then corn cob, also i have started using plain old rice with a stick of rouge tossed in and seems to work well. brought vib tumbler into the house couse i was tired of slogging through the weather to my gun room. forgot the walnut shell and subed the rice and it works.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
steel media in bulk on ebay

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
B
I use coarse walnut media fron Harbor freight. No water or chemicals. Got a concrete mixer and enlarged the pulley to slow it down. Cleans very well. Haven't tried polish yet.

Pax
M
M
Steel pins, water, a little Dawn and 1/4 t Lemi Shine in a rock polisher. Tumble for 3 hours, rinse and dry in food dehydrator. I decap brass before tumbling and the primer pockets get incredibly clean. The pins can be a pain to deal with, but I use a 5 gal mesh paint strainer in a 5 gal bucket under the media separator. That way I catch the pins and rinse the brass in one step. BTW, Harvey Deprimer tool is what I use for decapping.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts. - Earl Weaver
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Go to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, or what have you.. go to the small pet section.. Hampsters and such.. pick up a big bag of crushed corn cob bedding for like three or four dollars. Enjoy.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.