Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eyeball
I'd be more concerned about eating those farm raised catfish and talapia from brazil, tialand, etc where they are raised in rivers just below cities where the effluent is fed to them, and that probably includes most catfish served in restaurants.

I don't know, but suspect most catfish consumed is farmed in the US.

As to farmed catfish, it's a pretty clean operation. I once watched lawyers argue for hours over a lawsuit where a guy sued one of the local catfish processors that refused to buy his fish because they didn't meet the taste standard. I work and live in the heart of catfish farm country...the area I work produces a huge number of cats for commercial sale. The processors are extremely picky about the fish they buy. In fact, farm raised cats are supposed to have virtually no taste. They're supposed to be a blank canvass upon which to season and create tastes you desire. That's the reason they're top fed, and why the soil make-up at the pond is so crucial.

War Damn Eagle!

GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
sorry to inform you but I know of what I speak, rather than suspect. The local HEB posts the origin of the different fish they have on ice in the fish market. Shrimp too. Also, I have asked several restaurants where they buy their fish. Then I call the supplier and find they get the cheapest chit avail from Viet Nam or you get to pay extra for US raised.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It is amazing how many hundreds of houses are built on stilts over the river and above the shrimp and fish farms.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JBGQUICK
in south america, the farmers supplement their food sources with ponds with tilapia. They use animal manure as feed.

True and not true. They use animal manure to fertilize the ponds. The fertilizer produces algae and diatoms, and the tilapia, being filter feeders, feed of these higher order animals.

Same with China; but the Chinese don't give a hoot what else they throw in the ponds.

The imported catfish is mostly Pangasius from Vietnam, raised in the Mekong river and tributaries. Not a clean environment.

There is no amount of money you can pay me to eat the frozen imported stuff from China or other Far east countries. That said, the tilapia from Ecuador, Costa Rica and Honduras is all produced using modern production methods, and that's why they are three times as expensive as the frozen Chicom garbage.

We've lost about a third of our catfish acreage in this country due to competition from the cheap imported stuff.

You get what you pay for. The funny thing is that almost all the tilapia I produce is bought by Chinese and Mexicans in this country -- they are willing to pay the price for quality. White people want it as cheap as the frozen garbage at Wal-Mart, or they won't buy. Which is funny as heck.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We buy frozen catfish from Costco. It's labeled USA. I think their talapia comes from Costa Rica. They also carry farmed steelhead from So. America.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not only fish, but also our meats and vegtables. Monsanto, Dow and host of other companies have been poisoning people with their GMO's for years. Most people have no idea how far their reach is, nor do they care.

BP...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I always like to have a good backup list of things to worry about in case the world's problems get solved too soon. I wouldn't want to run out of things to worry about.

laugh

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Dutch, how about the fish raised in Brazil? Thanks for the info.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I don't mind farmed fish, as it takes pressure off wild stocks to feed the world. The poor need meat, and farmed fish fit the bill. Not everybody can afford $8.99lb + fish.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sorry to inform you but I know of what I speak, rather than suspect. The local HEB posts the origin of the different fish they have on ice in the fish market. Shrimp too. Also, I have asked several restaurants where they buy their fish. Then I call the supplier and find they get the cheapest chit avail from Viet Nam or you get to pay extra for US raised.

Why are you sorry to inform me?

War Damn Eagle!

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Well, I'm not normally happy to inform someone I'm pretty sure they are wrong about something (unless it's someone like sac, nwa, etc). In fact, I wish you were right.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I'm not normally happy to inform someone I'm pretty sure they are wrong about something (unless it's someone like sac, nwa, etc). In fact, I wish you were right.

I did some checking. It's only since 2009 that imported farm catfish sales surpassed U.S. farm raised. It stands at about 57% to 43%. The US catfish industry could easily turn that around with some good marketing. There has been issues with safety of imported catfish, which is also apparently often mislabled, and not really catfish. I also imagine that if you could break sales down regionally, you'd find that US farm raised far outsells imported in the southeast, and southwest.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't touch farm-raised shrimp with a stick. Same goes for farm-raised tilapia or salmon. I have no problems whatsoever with US farm-raised catfish.

Still prefer to catch my own and try to do so as often as possible. I also am pretty particular as to where I drop my lines.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OlyWa
I wouldn't touch farm-raised shrimp with a stick. Same goes for farm-raised tilapia or salmon. I have no problems whatsoever with US farm-raised catfish.

Still prefer to catch my own and try to do so as often as possible. I also am pretty particular as to where I drop my lines.

I always opt for wild caught shrimp. I don't eat tilapia unless it's passed off as some other fish, and still don't get how restaurants can do that. Just now learning to like salmon, but think I'd prefer wild caught. Love farm raised cats, but don't mind wild caught either.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where I live I'm stuck with buying farm raised salmon or doing without. The fresh wild caught salmon sold here is anything but fresh. By the time it gets delivered to the supermarkets it's already five days old at a minimum and it's nasty beyond belief. Same goes for fresh halibut and pacific "rockfish".

It's no wonder that I meet so many people from the midwest that hate seafood. The quality of supposedly premium wild caught fresh fish is abhorrent. For somebody that isn't familiar with what fresh ocean caught fish is like, it's impossible for them to know what to avoid buying.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by fish head
Where I live I'm stuck with buying farm raised salmon or doing without. The fresh wild caught salmon sold here is anything but fresh. By the time it gets delivered to the supermarkets it's already five days old at a minimum and it's nasty beyond belief. Same goes for fresh halibut and pacific "rockfish".

It's no wonder that I meet so many people from the midwest that hate seafood. The quality of supposedly premium wild caught fresh fish is abhorrent. For somebody that isn't familiar with what fresh ocean caught fish is like, it's impossible for them to know what to avoid buying.

Yup. And that's the reason why us trollers are only getting $4.25lb for kings and $1.75lb for Cohos. They manage to take the highest quality fish, and ruin them with poor handling practices before they get to the consumer.

The midwest and east coast is a wide open market for wild salmon/halibut, if they'd get the fish there without ruining it.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Calvin, can you freeze and send them UPS?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The distribution network from Alaska to here sucks. I can buy farm raised atlantic salmon from Chile that actually is fresh. It's probably no more than three days old when it arrives at the store. I assume it's flown direct into Denver within a day after being processed and then trucked here ... three days max and iced the entire time.

Alaskan seafood ??? ... from the boats, to the dock processors, to Seattle wholesalers, through a distribution network and then flown or trucked to Denver ... five days plus.

I don't know the exact ins and outs of the distribution networks but I do know how old it is when gets here. Those extra days in transit makes all the difference in the world.

The "fresh" Alaska seafood they sell in the stores here borders on wanton waste. It's that bad. mad

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vekW4FgXefo

Infectious Salmon Anemia was found in wild BC fish this past fall. It will have a huge impact on the entire coast if it spreads...

Watch the video and see if they are playing games... Or rather, who is playing games. It looks very bad for wild BC salmon in the long run.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm very appreciative that sellers have to disclose wild v. farmed. Makes it possible to vote with my dollar.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,545 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.