24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finally got my skandic just about finished so went with a ride with the boy on Monday

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those remind me of the days when dividend amounts determined the color of the machine crop in a village many years. Lower amounts meant the yellow brand. 'Course that was just a bit earlier than these year models, since a better dividend meant more people could afford the brand with "IFS". I miss those days. My first new machine was a Skandic 277. I don't miss that machine. whistle

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
He's getting to be packing-size, Paul!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Machines our here get used daily. At less than around -20 many of them begin having starting problems. -15 is generally okay; -25 gets iffy. The new EFI Honda ATVs are worse than the older carbureted models. Many of the newer snowmachines which are supposed to run cleaner have a difficult time without adding heat. A heat gun is a wonderfully simple and useful tool in the cold. You quickly discover that most battery chargers and other electric devices don't have insulation on their wires that are good for much in terms of deep temps though.
I was contemplating a four stroke 'Cat a couple of years ago with some concern about starting in severe cold. They had an accessory package that would automatically start the motor and warm it up whenever it began to get too cold. It was supposed to prevent cold start-up problems resulting from being left overnight at -30 or whatever.
take a mapp gas tourch with u heat the y pipe in front of the cyc head......pull the rope...off u go ....we use them on the trail/cabin at 37 to 42 below(we have temp gauges installed on the sleds get'em at power and transmisson on van horn/its a kenworth gauge-if anything it will show u where not to park/camp)

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
ATV, so Mapp gas will light/vaporize at lower temps than propane? If so, that is good to know.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Used to ride Arctic Cat ZRs in the mid to late 90s. A mortgage and kids put an end to that.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
i keep it inside the cabin , and keep it handy enroute. i have never left the /a bottle outside to test (i use propane to) but if i have to go i grab a bottle from inside and head out the door to get her started....my 800rmk aint no fun at those temps. a guy showed me the trick about 10 years ago.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Like a Reddy heater and metal dryer pipe for a vehicle!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
6' stove pipe with a 90 on the end, that and a weed burnner is my friend.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Here's mine sitting in the driveway.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Spring in Petersville.
[Linked Image]

YO! We talked about you guys having sleds, but I didn't know you guys rocked it like that! wink Way cool, brother.

Two questions:

1. Can you 'wheelie' them consistently?
2. Which one do I get to hurt myself on, er, I mean go for a spin on?

eek whistle grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

YO! We talked about you guys having sleds, but I didn't know you guys rocked it like that! wink Way cool, brother.

Two questions:

1. Can you 'wheelie' them consistently?
2. Which one do I get to hurt myself on, er, I mean go for a spin on?

eek whistle grin

Answers ...

Question 1) Yes. Sort of.

a) You pull the skis up on a hard lauch or over a bump or jump.

b) In the right condtions you can do a sideways wheelie on one ski for as far as you can go in straight line.

Question 2) Sorry. I can't help with that one. I sold my snowmachines when I left Alaska.

1995 AC ZR 580 EFI Mountain Cat
2001 Yamaha 700 Mountain Max 141

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atvalaska
take a mapp gas tourch with u heat the y pipe in front of the cyc head......pull the rope...off u go ....we use them on the trail/cabin at 37 to 42 below

I generally use boiling water on the exhaust manifold of the snowmachines. Same deal but safer perhaps; can also be used on stubborn/iced carbs without worry about an open flame. Obvious precautions apply in applying water/steam around a fuel system, of course, to avoid exacerbating an existing problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know my sled will stand up on it's tail. I put a clutch kit in it which really changed the performance on this thing and it flat out rips for a 600. My wifes would probably stand up but she doesn't ride it as hard as I do. These newer machines perform so much better compared to technology from 10 years ago. I'd let you rip on mine, if you wreck it, it gives me an excuse to buy a new one! grin

We have a great time on these things and we get to see lots of country most folks don't get to see. We're staying at a friends cabin up near Talkeetna this coming weekend to watch the start of the Iditarod and will be taking lots of pictures. Good times!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am with las on the snowmachine style....I have 2 Bravo LT's but I do have 1 Bearcat 570. Put a set of Kimpex ski skins on the Bravo and some 6" carbides and it is just one fine lil' runner. The Bearcat has all the footing I need and plenty of power. The mechanical shifter is very good to have. The Bravo's I use when I trap, am considering a Comet 102 for one of them soon.

I understand that the 2 strokes will be "underfire" soon so am currently studying a 4 stroke....question is what model for my mountain travels and trapping that "will" start in the cold weather.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Chandalar Jack
I am with las on the snowmachine style....I have 2 Bravo LT's but I do have 1 Bearcat 570. Put a set of Kimpex ski skins on the Bravo and some 6" carbides and it is just one fine lil' runner. The Bearcat has all the footing I need and plenty of power. The mechanical shifter is very good to have. The Bravo's I use when I trap, am considering a Comet 102 for one of them soon.

I understand that the 2 strokes will be "underfire" soon so am currently studying a 4 stroke....question is what model for my mountain travels and trapping that "will" start in the cold weather.

What do you mean by "underfire"? If you don't want to spend the bucks on a new sled especially a $10K - $15k 4-stroker, just rebuild what you have. That is what I have been doing.

Last edited by TheKuskokid; 02/27/12.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
kusko......I have heard and am led to believe the standards which we are so use to may just change. The days of 2 strokes of any kind are waning thin. Most recreational dealerships are becoming aware of EPA req/changes and most if not all of us will have to deal with it.
I wanted to know about the power and efficiencies of a 4 stroke sno-mobile and its ability to start when cold. I have used many a big atv 4 strokers and still own one 750 EFI King Quad...try starting that at -15 degrees.
I continued to perserver(sp) and found the 600 ACE in a Tundra to possibly be the next purchase...money be damned!
Wish I could use a nice rippin sled like some of them city dudes use but have no absolute use of them
The sales fella at the Fairbanks dealership just mentioned the cold start up temp is -35 max on the 600 ACE..seriously?
Just passing my day by with my grandaughter here so...."word" of the day is 4 stroke.
hope I did not deter from the original post

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing yet is beating a simple old piston port two stroke for starting with some ease in the cold. And a fan-cooled is the best way to insure the ability to cool the engine when running at work speed. Liquid-cooleds - and I like them- require much more maintenance and rebuilding out on the coast where snow is hard. I can't imagine having to go through a four-stroke engine on a regular basis due to overheating damage. (And don't forget to keep the crankcase breather clear or you'll blow seals.)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is old news, they've been talking about this for many years now. They are hoping that by putting hard restrictions on 2 stroke motors that the manufacturers will stop making them but Iserioulsy doubt that will eve happen.

4 strokers are nice but they are heavy and don't have much power compared to a comparable 2 stroke. Using 1 for trails and such should be fine but not for hard mountain riding and boondocking.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The problem with cold starting a 4 stroke is the oil in the crancase that turns to molases on cold temps. It is intrinsic in how the machines opperate and you'll need a means of heating that oil to get the machine to start in exterme cold. They also tend to be electric start only in the bigger cc's.

2 strokes can clean up their emisions with direct cylinder fuel injection which also improves fuel economy, but then you have the complexity of a computer for the fuel injection. Also air cooled engines require more fuel as it effectively works to help cool the cylinders.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
398 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.