24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you do a pre-clearance on your rifles chances of having the ammo checked is just shy of zip. They just go with making sure the serial numbers match.

I have never seen anyone of those people at the SAPS office check 60 rounds to make sure all the head stamps correspond. Make sure theones on the corners and the sides are the real deal.

Some airlines only allow ammo in a locked case. Confirm with who you will be flying with what they want, and you will have a connecting flight also.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When we went to Tanzania we booked with North West, when we got to the airport we found out we were going to be flying Lufthansa all the way.Originally it was Noth West to Amsterdam then Lufthansa to Dar Es Salaam. NW regs at the time were ammo packed in with the rifle,a no no with Lufthansa. If we had assumed the NW regs we would have had a real problem in Amsterdam. Our gun cases would have been prevented from going on and they don't give the hunter access to the gun cases in Holland. If you are transfering to another airline in another country be sure you know their regs too.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Got to agree with the boys that said 60 rds. Ya never know when a scope may go south. Helluva lot easier to bring it home, then not have it, when ya need it.

maddog

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I took 40rds of 30-06 for my trip.
Had a box and a half left over. Left it with the PH.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Carry as much as you can. You may need it and there will not be a gunshop behind every bush over there. If you do manage to find ammo in your caliber, it will be VERY expensive, and won't shoot as well in your rifle as your own ammo.

Get your rifles pre cleared. Air 2000 has done it for me on each of 3 trips to RSA. I made the mistake of putting my ammo in the guncase with the rifle on my first trip, and it created a hell of a dust up with the SAPS people when I arrived. Had it not been for Air 2000 I could have easily had my rifle and ammo comfiscated and done jail time.

Bottom line is regulations vary from country to country, sometimes day to day, and you need to be up to speed on the requirements in your particular location AT THE TIME YOU WILL BE THERE.

DO NOT pack your ammo in your guncase if you are going to RSA. BTDT, and it was not a pleasant experience. Just sayin...

Last edited by sharpsguy; 02/28/12. Reason: spelling error
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Carry as much as you can.

Bingo. You are allowed 11.2lb and that's what you should take. Why not? it's like in the flying business, ammo left home is like runway behind you or altitude above you. Either one is not much help

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Yep good point!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Carry as much as you can.

Bingo. You are allowed 11.2lb and that's what you should take. Why not? it's like in the flying business, ammo left home is like runway behind you or altitude above you. Either one is not much help

That includes the separate case with TSA locks. Buy the hard case, foam, and 60 rounds for each rifle. Put all on a scale and see what it weighs. If over limit, taks out a box of ammo from the spare rifle. Use the foam to keep ammo from moving around in the lockable case. This is not difficult!

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
TBREW401,

As a good friend of mine often points out, examples of one don't prove a thing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
I keep hearing conflicting reports
I thought it was a lockable ammo box but didn't see anything about having to be TSA locks on the box
I have these that I'm planning on using Tecnoframe ammo box

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mule dear-- wasn't tryig to prove anything.
That's what I did, others can do as they please
40 rds was plenty for me.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
This is directly from SAA regulations
It says ammunition weight is 5kg... says nothing about box holding it just the ammo must weight no more than 5kg

�Ammunition (cartridges for weapons) must be securely stored in a lockable container within checked baggage.
�The maximum weight of the ammunition carried by any single passenger is 5kg (11lb).

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
This is directly from SAA regulations
It says ammunition weight is 5kg... says nothing about box holding it just the ammo must weight no more than 5kg

�Ammunition (cartridges for weapons) must be securely stored in a lockable container within checked baggage.
�The maximum weight of the ammunition carried by any single passenger is 5kg (11lb).

Check your TSA regs as it goes through TSA screening first. If you want flimsy locks OK, TSA will break them if they need to inspect case contents. With TSA locks they can easily unlock, inspect the contents and relock. In any case do what you want, but show up with extra key locks and extra TSA locks, you will need them.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Checked baggage must have TSA locks or TSA will cut/break any other lock off. This also includes any container that is inside your baggage -- TSA locks only.

Your firearms need to be in a hard case that is lockable and locked. DO NOT use TSA locks on guncases.

Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I guess I'll go with 60 rounds...30 rounds in each bag

Also be aware that your ammunition must be the original boxes (which can be the plastic boxes like MTM makes). Ammo cannot be loose in a bag or in belt carriers.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Spot on advice. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Spot on advice. jorge

Ya, lot of info here based upon firsthand experience. How well is it being received, don't know.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
I If you are refering to me I take in all that I read ...including actual TSA Regulations as well as specific airline rules

TSA Regulations for ammo

Firearms and Ammunition

Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts may only be transported in checked baggage. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts are prohibited from carry-on baggage.

There are certain limited exceptions for law enforcement officers (LEOs) who are authorized to fly armed by meeting the requirements of 49 CFR � 1544.219.

Following is a summary of key regulatory requirements to transport firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage:
All firearms must be declared to the air carrier during the ticket counter check-in process.
The firearm must be unloaded.
The firearm must be carried in a hard-sided container.
The container must be locked.
The passenger must provide the key or combination to the screener if it is necessary to open the container, and then remain present during screening to take back possession of the key after the container is cleared.
Any ammunition transported must be securely packed in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
Firearm magazines/clips do not satisfy the packaging requirement unless they provide a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
The ammunition may also be located in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it is properly packed as described above.

Black powder and percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms are not permitted in carry-on or checked baggage.

The regulations are strictly enforced. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and the imposition of civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation.

Air carriers may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition an individual may place in checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the air carrier regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.

If you are traveling with a gun or ammunition, please read our information on traveling with these items for more information. Traveling with Firearms and Ammunition

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
My son and I each used a foam lined, hard plastic, handgun case. We pulled part of the foam out, and packed 3 boxes of ammo, in each case[inside the original ammo boxes]. We locked each case with a TSA lock, then placed that case in our checked baggage. The checked bag also had a TSA lock. On our firearm case we used a NON-TSA lock. Since we were both using the same caliber rifle[375 H&H], we weren't too concerned about mixing the ammo. We flew out of Indianapolis, on our way to Atlanta/Joberg. We had zero problems with TSA/Customs/SAPS, going or returning home. YMMV.

maddog

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Last Oct, I flew SAA to JNB and had a follow-on flight to Richards Bay on SAA Express. I packed my ammo in a hard plastic lockable box with a TSA lock and packed it in my TSA locked checked bag. I also printed a copy of SAA's baggage/ammo policy posted on-line as well as SAA Express's posted policy.

Cleared SAPS in JNB with no issues. I had completed my 520 before I flew and had certified copies of my Passport and 4457's. Five minutes and I was done. The fun began when I tried to check in with SAA Express.

Per the published instructions, I declared my cased firearms to the agent, I declared the one checked bag had ammo it in a locked case. The agent said she couldn't accept the ammo or firearms and that both the checked bag and the rifle case had to be checked in with the "Domestic SAPS" office. I pulled the copies of the SAA Express web pages out and showed her that per those instructions they could. She called her supervisor over and she said the web pages where wrong and they had to go through Domestic SAPS - it is on the opposite side of the main check-in hall. No problem drug my stuff to them.

Domestic SAPS said they couldn't take either one without the "checked bag tag" and that I had to go back to the check-in desk and check them. They did send a SAPS Officer with me to make sure SAA Express got it right. No problem, pulled the locked ammo box out of the checked bag and the SAPS Officer carried it and my rifle case back to the SAA Express desk.

Got to the same agent and the SAPS Officer explained to her to print the baggage tags. This time she said that since I was now checking a "third" bag (rifle case, checked bag and now the ammo case) I would have to pay the extra bag fee. OK, I pull my CC out and she says she can't take it. I have to now drag all my crap over to the SAA Express ticket counter to pay the extra bag fee.

I get over there and I show the agent the SAA and SAA Express pages and that I just transiting and that neither the SAA or SAA Express published policies say anything about ammo traveling separately and ask to talk to her supervisor. She says she doesn't have one and I can either pay the fee or leave the ammo behind. I decide it is not going to be that much because the SAA Express web site says it should have been just a few ND per kilo. Instead she hits me with FULL extra bag fee that converted to $90USD.

I decided to just go ahead and pay it and put it on my CC and figure I'll contest the charge through them when I get home. Pay the few, get the receipt and drag all my crap back the SAA Express que, get the bag tags, leave the checked bag there and the SAA Officer and I drag the gun case and ammo back to their office, check the stuff in with them. Surprisingly, everything arrived in Richards Bay just fine.

Next surprise was on the way back. Checked in with Richards Bay and was told that I had to pay a $100ND inspection fee for the rifle. I asked why and they said they were under a separate contract with SAA Express. I said I wanted a receipt with the agents name on it - thought that would call their "bluff" if they where shaking me down but, I got the receipt with the agents name on it (and it matched the name on his photo security badge ID). I didn't bring any loaded ammo back, just shot it all up there and brought back the empties in the same lock box in my checked bag.

To wrap it up - once I got home I did contest the SAA Express charge and provided copies of the SAA Express web pages and they did reverse the charge.

Forgot to add that this was my fourth fourth trip via JNB and first time I had any...issues. I will add that the SAPS personnel in JNB were friendly and helpful and didn't...have their "hands out". The issues where making the transfer from SAA to SAA Express.

Last edited by m3taco; 02/29/12.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,350 guests, and 683 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.