Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I open carry while on my own property , hunting , fishing , or camping.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
I'd say you saw one of two possible situations....

Off duty LEO

or

Militant whack job.
The guy looked so clean cut and "legitimate." Could mean nothing, of course.

What's "Special Operations?"

It could be any number of things, though an off-duty SRT/SWAT type would make sense.

K9 is, technically, "special operations" (we're really special according to some of our detractors). No self-respecting dog guy would wear anything other than a "Police K9" shirt, though.
Maybe I should have drawn on him. laugh

You wouldn't have had the balls...

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bushwacker
Probably special unit LEO who just got done with training and needed to pick something up at the store. I have done it myself after instructing on the range. I carry with badge next to gun, but if he was doing PT or something and didn't want to risk damaging his badge he may have left it in his ride.
I believe I recall that you're a cop. Out of curiosity, if you were working in a state that didn't have open carry, would you have asked this guy to explain himself?

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
I open carry while on my own property , hunting , fishing , or camping.
Florida allows that too, but not otherwise.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Florida? I thought you moved to Idaho..........

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I think Chaz Bono had one........

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No self-respecting dog guy would wear anything other than a "Police K9" shirt, though.

Did you casually lift your shirt slightly to give him a glimpse of your nun-chucks, then give him the nod?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bushwacker
Probably special unit LEO who just got done with training and needed to pick something up at the store. I have done it myself after instructing on the range. I carry with badge next to gun, but if he was doing PT or something and didn't want to risk damaging his badge he may have left it in his ride.
I believe I recall that you're a cop. Out of curiosity, if you were working in a state that didn't have open carry, would you have asked this guy to explain himself?

If it is against the law I would have a duty to ask, just as if I saw someone selling crack on the sidewalk. If I was off duty and he was doing no harm we are required, by our policies to be a good witness, and call a uniformed officer in to investigate. Even if off duty I might strike up a conversation and see if I can get a feel for whack job or off duty LEO. I'm not much for beating around the bush so I would just ask him, instead of following him around. I don't begrudge anyone carrying and would probably be along the lines of if he likes his gear and what "special unit" he works with. You can get a lot of info just striking up a conversation. Keeps things low key and off the defense.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PAMac

I think Chaz Bono had one........

LOL

Originally Posted by Barkoff
No self-respecting dog guy would wear anything other than a "Police K9" shirt, though.

Did you casually lift your shirt slightly to give him a glimpse of your nun-chucks, then give him the nod?

LOL and then ask, wanna see my special unit?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm betting the guy didn't move along at a quicker pace because TRH gave him the hairy eyeball, I'm thinking it was because he could tell TRH is a nut job and wasn't about to listen to some cop wannabe stories.

It also could have been the nunchucks shoved down TRH's pants. Thinking the guy don't like talking to other men with wood.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
These guys think they're spec ops , SEALS!

I carry a can of sardines to get their attention.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's possible the guy was an official something or other but was dressed or carrying outside of policy and got nervous when called on it.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am thinking he may be LE, but more likely a whacko.....could you tell if he was wearing a vest??? Most LE I know have their vests on if they are carrying open because it attracts undue attention. Also, most of em don't wear gas station T-shirts stating "special ops"

In TN, its legal to carry either way, and I'm all for people having the right to decide, but I just don't understand why anyone would want to attract the attention it does (in public). It is far better to be armed and concealed because if you get into a bad situation, the element of surprise on the bad guy is the advantage IMO

Last edited by Boococky; 02/29/12.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
It's possible the guy was an official something or other but was dressed or carrying outside of policy and got nervous when called on it.
That's what I think it was.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Boococky
I am thinking he may be LE, but more likely a whacko.....could you tell if he was wearing a vest??? Most LE I know have their vests on if they are carrying open because it attracts undue attention. Also, most of em don't wear gas station T-shirts stating "special ops"

In TN, its legal to carry either way, and I'm all for people having the right to decide, but I just don't understand why anyone would want to attract the attention it does (in public). It is far better to be armed and concealed because if you get into a bad situation, the element of surprise on the bad guy is the advantage IMO
Clearly no vest.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i've never understood the open carry. maybe it was someone that was proud they had just received their permit, and wanted to try it out.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Field_Hand
i've never understood the open carry. maybe it was someone that was proud they had just received their permit, and wanted to try it out.
The permit specifically states that open carry is a big no no, and will result in loss of the license and arrest. Recently, an exception was carved into that to allows accidental exposure of the firearm to public view, but that's quite a different thing from this situation.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think you need to investigate further.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deflave
I think you need to investigate further.

Travis
I'll get right on it.

PS Sorry the discussion is boring you. I wonder if there's anything you could do to prevent being bored by it? Hm, let me think. Let me think.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Quite the contrary. I'm at the edge of my seat.

Travis

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
827 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 78 invisible), 3,260 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.