Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I know this is a longshot but am wondering if anyone here on the Campfire knows of any shore fishing opportunities in the Palmetto Florida area for any type of salt or freshwater fish. My older brother just bought a small place there and he has invited me down for a week or so in late March. His physical health limits what he can do but I thought maybe I could find some type of shore fishing where he could relax in a camp chair and wait for a bite while we shoot the breeze. I'm not looking for a charter boat fishing trip as his balance is poor and has had some issues falling and breaking bones. I would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction. My internet searches haven't turned up much. Thanks for any help.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not familiar with the area specifically, but I can tell you that the most popular gamefish in the area will be speckled trout (spotted weakfish), redfish and flounder. Numerous small species of bottom fish, many of which are good to eat, should be easy to catch. The methods and baits that they use in the area, I don't know. My experience in Florida is that finding a public area to fish is challenging. Google "public fishing" for the specific towns and waterways and see if there are any piers, public beaches etc.

That's assuming you want salt water fishing.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Couple of spots close to Palmetto. One is in Cortez that has a nice park and easy access to the water. Redfish and trout. Lots of spots up and down the coast there. PM me when your going to be here and maybe I can meet you and we can wet a line.

Mack

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I live in Manatee County but I don't fish so I can't help you with specific shore fishing locations. However there are many fishing pier opportunities in the Palmetto area which could work for you. The best locations are the two fishing piers they made from what was left of the old Skyway Bridge. They are run by the state and there is a fee, but they get you way out into the mouth of Tampa Bay. Very popular fishing spots.

Also, check out Emerson Point Preserve in Palmetto. Here's a link. http://www.mymanatee.org/home/gover...s/resource-management/emerson-point.html

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Also, check the regs to make sure Trout season is open then......that's near the closure time for that area if I'm not mistaken.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
W
The Skyway piers would be good for trying the potluck approach. You could possibly catch about anything there. It can be a long walk, though. You might bring a cart if you want to bring a lot of gear, coolers, and so forth. Probably the best place for flats species would be Fort DeSoto County Park, across the Skyway in Pinellas County. The wade fishing is good there, but I don't know about fishing from shore. E.G. Simmons park just to the north in Ruskin would be worth checking out. In fact, it might be your best bet given his limitations. I think they may have a pier or dock. I see people fishing from shore at the Cockroach Bay boat ramp, but I don't know how successful they are. That would be easy to get to. Good luck.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Well I just got home from the "Bengal Bouts" semi-finals at the University of Notre Dame. Great boxing for a good cause. Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to check out all the information that you have so graciously provided. My brother will be closing and taking possession when we go down to Palmetto and since the place is supposed to be fully furnished we should have some time to do a little fishing. (I hope!) This is the third time that I've been to Florida but the first two we were just spending the night in a hotel before we went on a cruise so I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the state. Again, thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by Sportdog; 02/28/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is supposed to be in the mid 80's here for the next 5 days, so bring your summer clothes.

Might want to go to lunch or dinner at the Riverhouse Reef and Grill in Palmetto. It has a great location at the end of a pier in the Manatee River and the food is good.

http://riverhousereef.com/

I'm better when I move.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 3,354 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.