Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Recently, my wife and I visited a old Vietnam war buddy and his wife in Valdosta, GA. One morning we went to a restaurant for breakfast and I was encouraged to order some grits. Never had them before and after hearing the phrase "kiss my grits", they did not sound very appetizing.

When served I put some half/half cream on them...not good, put some honey on...better, mixed in some raisins...very good. The only complaint was there was no lumps in the bowl of grits, which is what I like in a bowl of Cream of Wheat.

Can a northern boy make a good bowl of grits?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
With honey, raisins, and cream in it what you ate was not grits. Grits only need butter and cracked black pepper. Cheese or shrimp maybe. But not a fruit salad.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Grits are part of my favorite breakfast. Add 3 or 4 slices of bacon chopped into 1/4" pieces, couple of soft fried eggs and a chunk of butter......mix and eat!!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I like grits with butter and an over medium fried egg on top.

I also like to cook polenta (also ground corn meal) a little firmer. Then I take a bread pan and line it with plastic wrap with enough hanging over the side to cover the top. Then put your polenta in there and let it set up in the refrigerator overnight. Slice it, fry it in a touch of EVOO and top with a slice of sharp cheddar, a fried egg(again I prefer over medium), a slice of canadian bacon or ham, a slice of tomato, some avacado and hollanndaise sauce.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by crowrifle
With honey, raisins, and cream in it what you ate was not grits. Grits only need butter and cracked black pepper. Cheese or shrimp maybe. But not a fruit salad.
ain't that the truth. i put butter, shredded cheese and hot sauce. now that's grits.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by roundoak
Recently, my wife and I visited a old Vietnam war buddy and his wife in Valdosta, GA. One morning we went to a restaurant for breakfast and I was encouraged to order some grits. Never had them before and after hearing the phrase "kiss my grits", they did not sound very appetizing.

When served I put some half/half cream on them...not good, put some honey on...better, mixed in some raisins...very good. The only complaint was there was no lumps in the bowl of grits, which is what I like in a bowl of Cream of Wheat.

milk on grits? honey? raisins........only a damn yankee would bastardize a bowl of grits like that. shocked

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

milk on grits? honey? raisins........only a damn yankee would bastardize a bowl of grits like that. shocked

laugh laugh laugh

Last edited by Field_Hand; 02/29/12.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, it seems I made a mistake thinking grits was a breakfast cereal. Glad the fire set me straight so I won't embarrass myself in public should I encounter it again. blush

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Heaven forbid that you eat them in a way that you enjoy!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It is fun to sit here in the midwest, and read, and think on the foods of the south, and the north. My trouble is I tend to like most all of them. My waistline also tends to show that.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TexasRick
Grits are part of my favorite breakfast. Add 3 or 4 slices of bacon chopped into 1/4" pieces, couple of soft fried eggs and a chunk of butter......mix and eat!!

I had never had grits until I joined the military. At my first duty station my best friend introduced me to them at a friends house and this is how they made it. One of the best things I ever ate and I still eat them this way to this day.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
GRITS=Girls Raised In The South.

Couple of things for me:

They have to be coarse stone ground grits. No instant grits!

Salt, pepper and butter! That's it! Maybe a little red eye gravy but NO sugar!

But once again---whatever makes one happy is the way to do it!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Roundoak, just don't eat chit that you need to doctor up to that severity and you'll be fine.

Grits are one of those things you learn to just let be.

I have no idea what the hell folks like about them, but they damn sure like em and if a "yank" so much as mentions the word, it will end badly.

Perfectly normal for you to be curious and try them. Also perfectly normal for you to grab anything within reach to attempt to make them edible.

Also perfectly normal for you to be flamed for talking about it publicly.

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by byc
GRITS=Girls Raised In The South.

Couple of things for me:

They have to be coarse stone ground grits. No instant grits!

Salt, pepper and butter! That's it! Maybe a little red eye gravy but NO sugar!

But once again---whatever makes one happy is the way to do it!

Bingo...spot on.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As I said earlier, I was a little hesitant to eat grits in the first place being associated with "kiss my grits." grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by northern_dave
...if a "yank" so much as mentions the word, it will end badly...

I know! Let's put beans in them!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

BYC is right Girls raised in the South, I will be glad to to send you a bag of stone ground grits from the Farmer's Market here in Greenville, SC.
Just don't put milk or raisins or sugar on them.
Try shrimp, cheese, deer sausage or all of the above!

Send me an address and I will send to you the staple of the South!

Claude

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
grits, fried eggs, bacon/sausage, and toast is the breakfast i was raised eating. still eating it 55+ years later. the wife and i eat out quite a lot, and often frequent a fine eatery which features shrimp grits. absolutely outstanding!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by northern_dave
...if a "yank" so much as mentions the word, it will end badly...

I know! Let's put beans in them!

Watch it. grin

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I was raised on grits...most of my kith and kin going back generations come from Georga, 'Bama, the Okefanokee swamp etc, were raised on grits.

When dad moved the family to the west coast way back, to work in the facturies during WWII my mother was almost in tears because she couldn't find her grits ANYWHERE in "damyankeeville" and our supply was getting pretty low before she got a bag from kin in Atlanta. She was/is a "Rosy the Riveter".

We had hot grits boiled for 15-20 min, butter, salt/pepper/hot sauce, with AND without sugar/honey/cheese(depending on the ration book or swapping), bacon or sausage, eggs snatched from under the hens, and home made toast or fried bread for breakfast,(AND MANY TIMES with raisins or other home dried and chopped fruit), grits left over from breakfast, packed into a tin can and cooled then pushed out and cut into rounds, fried in the mornings bacon grease and whatever else the sitter could scrape up for lunch and grits as a side for dinner. Not at every meal or every day, except for breakfast and lunch.

When my grandaddy died and was buried in Texas, EVERY breakfast at my great uncle Newt and aunt Mary's ranch had a big bowl of hot grits at the ready. Uncle Newt wouldn't tolerate no grits for breakfast, and Aunt Mary wouldn't THINK of not having grits. "Get the grits" would be about the only thing Aunt Mary said everytime we made the 125 mile trip to Delhart from the ranch during that time. I never figured out if that was just her way of saying 'bye or really telling Newt to buy grits.

For many ears Albers quick grits was a staple because of the time constraints of modern day life...Quick grits might not be "pure down home" but I don't mind them any more than I mind my "nukerbox" to cook BOTH quick and "real" grits...one takes 4 minutes and the other 13 for 1 1/2 cups water, 1/3 cut grits.

I call/email up my cousin up in Atlanta when I'm running low and have her send me 5 lbs of course ground grits from a local mill the family has been buying from for as long as I can remember. White grits IS grits...yellow grits is Polenta, but Polenta doesn't taste OR look quit right.

I do my grits only about twice a week now...and a week without grits is a mighty poor week.

Ya'll who never had grits, bacon/sausage and scrambled eggs, and hot buttered biscuits, all covered with sausage gravy and "Loozy-anna" hot sauce, don't know what your missing...'sep maybe a heart attack. sick

Hummmm...Guess whats for breakfast, Ma�ana... grin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
685 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,090 guests, and 1,469 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.