-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've got an early 1920's Brno 98/22 donor action with a butterknife bold handle that I just sent to Mike McCabe for a hunting rifle project.

Has anybody been able to use a synthetic stock that looks decent with this style bolt handle??

I'm thinking that I'll have to go with a good piece of claro walnut or change to a more conventional bolt handle to use a synthetic stock. My original plan was a McMillan stock with a Cerakoted barrel/action, but the bolt handle seems to be dictating the style of stock.

Please post your suggestions and pics of your rifles.

Last edited by gonehuntin; 02/25/12.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can get a standard fill Mark X Mickey, modify and paint. Don't have a pic though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Putting that lovely action into a plastic is a crime. As is changing the handle out. Build it like it ought to be built. For what a Mickey costs there should be some decent wood handles out there.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
Putting that lovely action into a plastic is a crime. As is changing the handle out. Build it like it ought to be built.

After looking at more Mausers I have to agree with you, the action demands a classic build.

For what a Mickey costs there should be some decent wood handles out there.

I'm not getting off the hook that easy, I just discovered Canyon Creek and Paul/Sharon Dressler's walnut emporiums: "in for a penny, in for a pound", or in my case, several $$$. Oh well, every man should have at least one custom rifle to pass along to his heirs, I guess this will be my contribution to that tradition.

I'll post the final product in the blueprints thread when it's done.

Last edited by gonehuntin; 02/26/12.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would go even further and say that action is begging to be put in a mannlicher stock. Then chamber for a classic like 7x57 or 8 or 9.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Putting that lovely action into a plastic is a crime. As is changing the handle out. Build it like it ought to be built.

After looking at more Mausers I have to agree with you, the action demands a classic build.

For what a Mickey costs there should be some decent wood handles out there.

I'm not getting off the hook that easy, I just discovered Canyon Creek and Paul/Sharon Dressler's walnut emporiums: "in for a penny, in for a pound", or in my case, several $$$. Oh well, every man should have at least one custom rifle to pass along to his heirs, I guess this will be my contribution to that tradition.

I'll post the final product in the blueprints thread when it's done.

Good for you! We will all be looking forward to seeing the end results.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
These folks sell good wood at fair prices. I assume you realize that good stock work (labor) will run you at least $1500 and up.

http://www.hunterbid.com/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tony, I have purchased and used many nice Walnut stocks for far less than that. They were not exhibition grade wood, but affully nice, like this one....

[Linked Image]

Same stock, differnt view

[Linked Image]

Same one again, (On my Sako 222BTW)

[Linked Image]

And a very different style and look, but still attractive wood (In my view)

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The best wood at the best price will come from Cecil Fredi in Vegas.

http://www.gunstockblanks.com/

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Mike built a 7x57 for me on a SR'98 action and scored me a beautiful walnut stock (no pics yet... sorry!) at a VERY attractive price, final inletting done PRECISELY. I'd talk to him about what you're looking for. He is extremely knowledgeable (as you've likely already figured out) and a straight-up guy who'll do you right.

He is very nearly finished with my rifle. I'm really excited to see it!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Make sure you post pics when you take delivery!

I'm getting overwhelmed with the wood sources that I keep finding, I'll probably just tell him to find a nice claro walnut blank with some pretty stripes and let him do his thing and put a schnabel forend on it with an engraved grip cap, butt plate, floor plate, and an NECG cartridge trap.

Thanks to everybody who has replied so far, my rifle will be a 6.5 x 55 with a Lothar Walther barrel, a Dakota Arms Mod-70 style shroud/safety from Brownells, and an FN single-stage trigger topped with a Leupold.

P.S. the Dakota Arms Mod-70 shroud/safety for the Mauser is a very limited run each year, Mike McCabe said to get 'em while they're in stock or face a long wait for the next batch.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IF you cannot get the Dakota, I have been very happy with mine from Ed LaPour and Gentry.

Count me as among the many who are looking forward to seeing your rifle when all done up.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I purchased a Dakota Cliff stock on Epay about 5 years ago...I finished the project last summer. The blank was a second that cost me $165 dollars and I did the work myself including the Mun Ebony tips .....not the checkering. Here it the final on my 375H&H. Regards, Rick.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

John Deere tractors and Sako rifles.....doesn't get any better.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sakorick, that one is stunning. Thanks for posting it! Wonderful rifle there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's the way it should be done. Just screams Kustum Mauser...

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,182 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.