Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
As long as you pick a smith that has alot of experience with brakes you'll be fine, I only have 1 brake and it's on a 300wm and it makes the gun feel like a 243 win, point of aim changes a little when switching from threaded cap to brake, but accuracy is the same, I would never have a brake installed again but they do work, I would use a Vais brake!

BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I have had brakes installed on two rifles, a .340 Wby. MKV and a Model 70 SE in .458 Win. The .458 was a good shooter before the brake and remained the same after.

The .340 did not shoot well with 250 gr. Nosler Partitions before the brake, but it did well with 250 gr. Hornady Interlocks and with lighter bullets. After the brake it does well with everything, including the 250 Nosler.

There are no guarantees, but my sample of 2 says that it probably won't hurt.

Personally, however, if I had it to do again, I would have left both rifles unbraked, because the brake didn't reduce the recoil of the .458 very much (although the blast is not too bad), and although the brake dramatically reduced the recoil of the .340, the muzzle blast is nasty.

Seems that brakes work better on the high intensity, high velocity rounds. My only rifle with a brake is my Ed Brown Damara, which came from the factory so equipped. I've never put a brake on a gun. The Damara is a super accurate, light weight .300 Win Mag and the brake does make a difference to the extent that it stays on the gun. Recoil, shooting 180 NBT's at 3,050 fps, feels about like a .308 of equal weight, shooting 150's at 2,850 fps.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Light weight hard hitting hunting rifles aren't any fun at the range, but that's not what they are for. Fit a Decelerator pad and / or try a Past recoil shield at the range and the recoil won't be as bad in the field.

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
B
B
NO. i have not had any issues with loss or gain of accuracy due to the brake. I have taken them off to shoot my .223 , .243 , and my 300wm. Point of aim changed a fuzz but accuracy did not drop.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
A buddy of mine has a muzzle brake on his 300 WinMag and he shot it once while I was about 25 yards behind him, walking away from the bench and it felt like someone had slapped me on both ears. OUCH.

Another time while elk hunting he had to shoot three times at a cow that was about to go over an edge into a steep ravine. When he got back to camp he said he couldn't hear a thing. It took a day or so for the ringing to go away and for his hearing to come back.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by navlav8r
A buddy of mine has a muzzle brake on his 300 WinMag and he shot it once while I was about 25 yards behind him, walking away from the bench and it felt like someone had slapped me on both ears. OUCH.

Another time while elk hunting he had to shoot three times at a cow that was about to go over an edge into a steep ravine. When he got back to camp he said he couldn't hear a thing. It took a day or so for the ringing to go away and for his hearing to come back.

Same deal - i have a buddy with a brake'd 300 jarret. He shot 5 does on a cull hunt one afternoon without hearing protection. Pretty sure he did serious permanent damage.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't want anything to do with a brake on a true "hunting rifle", as there will eventually come a situation where you need to shoot and don't have hearing protection handy. Not worth it. I could see a brake on a playtoy/boomer like a 338LM or something similar.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortmagfan

Same deal - i have a buddy with a brake'd 300 jarret. He shot 5 does on a cull hunt one afternoon without hearing protection. Pretty sure he did serious permanent damage.

Oulufinn has a .300 Jarrett with a brake and it is absolutely the loudest thing I have ever had the displeasure of being around. I have to grit my teeth if he's blasting away with it or the fillings in my head will liquify. No thanks.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Karnis

Oulufinn has a .300 Jarrett with a brake and it is absolutely the loudest thing I have ever had the displeasure of being around. I have to grit my teeth if he's blasting away with it or the fillings in my head will liquify. No thanks.

I was on a mule deer hunt once and one of the nimrods had one of those. It made my unbraked 300 bee sound like a 22lr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's mind numbingly loud. I bought a muzzle cap for him just to save my already damaged hearing........... eek

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Karnis

Not to be the "one up" guy, but a hunter at our deer camp has a .30-378 Wby with a brake. Shot off a bench under a tin roof shed, even with ear protection, it's an unforgetible experience for bystanders. And he loves that thing.

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have never liked a muzzle break, just way to loud. Painful comes to mind. Get a good recoil pad or a correctley fitted stock. Even with handguns don't really want a muzzle break. One can always load down a bit. 100fps is not really going to make a big differance.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My experience with brakes is that the only effect that they have on accuracy is that you are more comfortable with the rifle, hence the potential for better groups is enhanced. They don't change POI, but I love being able to watch the bullets hit through the scope. I have installed brakes on even diminutive calibers for that reason alone. They are noisy, but that is why we wear hearing protection at the range. If you are not comfortable with wearing muffs or plugs while hunting, simply unscrew the brake and replace it with a thread protector while hunting and you're all set. We are an authorized KDF Brake installation shop, but will install any brake a client desires. I have a 300WM that is Magnaported and a very lightweight 300WM which has a KDF Brake on it. The difference between the two is remarkable. While the Magnaport gives you around 15% reduction in felt recoil, the brake give more like 40-50% reduction. It's like shooting a 243 instead of a 300WM.

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I put a brake on a 300WM, recoil was greatly reduced and accuracy was as good as before. Since I do not take the time to install ear plugs when hunting I have permanetly damaged my left hearing as a result (call me stupid). I now shoot a 7RM without a brake and am much happier. I recommend going down in caliber and bet the animal doesn't notice the difference.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
852 members (12344mag, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 83 invisible), 3,254 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,195
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.