Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Haven't used a flu flu arrow yet, just a regular arrow with a field point for my small game tasks. Planning on picking up a couple of flu flu's for goofing off with. What point do you normally use for this task? A field point or do the make a small game broad head of sorts? I guess I'm thinking like a small bird head like the natives used. This will be for a trad recurve set up. Thanks

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Zwicky Judo points. You can't lose em and they are real durable for stump shooting and such. G5 also makes a great small game head and I haven't lost one yet. Magnus makes (at least I think they still do) a head that is essentially a steel blunt with a broadhead insert in it. The judos do the trick on bunnys, squirrels, etc. Anything much larger like possums, coons, jackrabbits, etc. I use regular broadheads.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Flu Flu's may fly a little farther than expected. If you are shooting up into the trees I would suggest a blunt type point. Judo points have a small extension on the end that can stick into a limb, as will field points. Anything below what you can reach, I would use the Judos or field points.

You can use old broadheads if you are shooting low.

Also if you are shooting wood arrows a 38 shell casing works great.

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Judos for most of my small game hunting with a bow, which is rabbits and squirrels. I have not had too much trouble with them in trees, but do not try for a squirrel that is flat against the side of tree facing me. If you wait for a moment or two they will usually turn off to one side or another for a side tree shot. Most of the time I still hunt them and get them on the ground.

Anything larger ie feral cats, groundhogs, raccons etc. good old Zwickeys work just fine and resharpen easily.

On a side note, I have had squirrels duck Flu Flu's due to the noise. I usually use normal fletching when I hunt them and try for them on the ground or very low tree shots so as not to put an arrow where it does not belong. I have never been too much of a fan of the rubber blunts. I hunt with a 65# recurve so they tend to skip along ways on a miss. IME

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Judos with 4 or 6 fletch full sized uncut feathers. Rubber blunts work well too.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I like the suggestion of the .38 casing. I slipped a 9mm case on one of my field points last night. It fit nicely and bet it will do well on vermin and or stump shooting. Just need some flu flu arrows now.
I had some Judo's years ago on my aluminum arrows but I didn't see any made for traditional cedar sticks.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Try three rivers archery for wood arrow judos.

yes rubber blunts should be shot with 45 lbs or less bows. They do tend to skip

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Flu-flus are some of the most fun that can be had with a bow. As for points, if you are looking to splurge the G5 Small Game Head is fantastic. If you want to do it on the cheaper, the barbed collars that go on behind field points are also great. The brass blunts work well for stump-shooting, but don't expect great terminal performance on game.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
"Also if you are shooting wood arrows a 38 shell casing works great."

I thought I was the only one who remembered that old trick! grin

Used to hunt jacks in rocky terrain. Shattered a bunch of arrows until I switched to rubber blunts - they worked okay on small game, and I didn't shatter any more arrows.

Fun stuff guys! Used the flu-flu arrows with a three-bladed broadhead for pheasant hunting. Never did manage to hit one flying.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have tried everything but have settled on large faced rubber blunts. The judos are great for shooting into grass/brush but can get hung up when shooting into trees. Since I only shoot grouse and the occassional squirrel (with flu flu's) I have found the large rubber heads to be PERFECT. They impart major damage, won't bury in the duff and are pretty cheap!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
708 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222ND, 73 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.