Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Been using a Buck 110 forever, but I have thought of getting a Havalon.

Which model Havalon are you guys using? I do gutless and boning on the kill sight. I think the bigger Havalon would be better for me. Barracutta is it?
Havalon I have both, one that takes the #60 is longer than the #22,#22 blade is great smaller blade and rounded edge.

Last edited by wildchild2010; 02/29/12.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

This has been my favorite for the last 20 years. It was one of the earlier ATS-34 blades of which I became aware. It fits my hand and the blade shape is "just right" for a combination field dressing and skinning tool.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I use Ingrams and a wyoming saw, but have been looking at the Havalons!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I use a KOA Jaeger Hunter for gutting and quartering. I use a Sabatier boning knife for boning it out, and for most of the butchering I use a Chicago Cutlery 6.5 inch santoku. When I slice up jerkey meat I bought a Shun Nakiri that's just perfect for the job. It's like a cross between a straight razor and a cleaver and it never gets dull.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I used my Uncle Henry Golden Spike until Dad told me it was basically a collector's item these days. I have also used a Schrade Deerslayer and Sharpfinger.

I currently use and love my outdoor edge swingblade. I carry the Elk/Moose Sagen saw most of the time and also a Wyoming saw when I am going to need to bone/quarter.

Isaiah 6:8

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My favorite is this one I made from a farrier's rasp. Great for field dressing or skinning.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Can't beat Gene Ingram's wares for gutting and skinning
[Linked Image]

Dats a beauty�..

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by wildchild2010
Originally Posted by GrosVentreGeorge
I use a KOA Alpha Wolf that I absolutely love. Had it for three seasons now and I usually end up gutting everyone's kill with it as well. I also carry a Sagen hand saw with me while hunting for rib cages and pelvises. In the truck I keep a buck hatchet and SOG folding camp saw just in case.
How does KOA Alpha Wolf hold an edge and is it hard to sharpen with the D2 steel?
The Alpha Wolf holds an edge pretty damn good in my opinion. I went through five antelope and three muleys before trying to sharpen it. It wasn't dull but not razor sharp like when I first bought it. I tried using a Lansky pro stone set but it isn't as sharp as I feel it should be. I might try the diamond set before sending it back to KOA to have them sharpen it.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by wildchild2010
I use a KOA Alpha Wolf that I absolutely love. Had it for three seasons now and I usually end up gutting everyone's kill with it as well. I also carry a Sagen hand saw with me while hunting for rib cages and pelvises. In the truck I keep a buck hatchet and SOG folding camp saw just in case.
How does KOA Alpha Wolf hold an edge and is it hard to sharpen with the D2 steel?
The Alpha Wolf holds an edge pretty damn good in my opinion. I went through five antelope and three muleys before trying to sharpen it. It wasn't dull but not razor sharp like when I first bought it. I tried using a Lansky pro stone set but it isn't as sharp as I feel it should be. I might try the diamond set before sending it back to KOA to have them sharpen it.
I know they use D-2 for a lot of forming dies "not much for cutting dies", D-2 is an abrasive material pending if it was double drwden at heat treat or not. That is why I asked if it held a good edge. Thanks

Last edited by wildchild2010; 03/02/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been using a buck "bucklite" and a victorinox parer for a while for field work. And a Victorinox boning knife for butchering. And a cheapo $4 lansky ceramix stix for touch up on the vickies. Sharp sharp sharp.

Sean
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I use a Benchmade Bone Collector for boning in the field
http://www.benchmade.com/products/15000

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Oldtimer folding knife for the light work, guts, skinning etc. A buck 5 inch for the bones and a 6 inch saw for whats left. Did a couple of elk with the gutless method last fall and had good success with it. Its faster and keeps the meat a little neater.

Last edited by Elkmen; 03/02/12.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Hi Sean, I am also keen to use a victorinox parer (or a pair of them) but still deciding on a sheath or way of covering the blade in my pack - what do you use? A few years back CMG posted that he had rigged up a sheath for one on his packframe but there were no pics.

Gareth

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a couple sheets of plastic cutting board, its really thin, but tough white plastic sheet at the dollar store. I folded it up with help of a bench vise to make a double sheath for a set of parer's one serrated, one straight. I'll see if I can get a photo.

Sean
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I think we get a similar material here so would be very grateful if you founds some pics. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nevermind the string, It doesnt serve any purpose for the sheath, just a handy place to keep extra string.

Sean
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Awesome, much appreciated smile

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
[Linked Image]

As well as:

LB7
Buck Vanguard (no gut hook)
Puma Hunters Pal
Grohman skinner

There's a ton-load more but the above are normally on/near me. Whammers in my pack, LB7 or Vanguard on my belt when packless, Puma and Grohman in the door pockets of the pickup.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Several I use, but this pair from Charles May gets the most use. Slitter for field dressing/skinning and B&T for processing. I have a foldable bone saw the I use to open the pelvis and ribcage if/when needed.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.