Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Are you using an axe that long as a walking cane - sort of?

That's a damn long axe! Are you wicked tall?

the one I borrowed and used a couple years ago was used primarily for assistance ascending steep mossy slopes that were more like a wall than anything. That, and trenching to keep the high spot the tent was on from getting flooded. crazy

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The applications for trekking poles and ice axes in my opinion are quite different with the ice axe being a very specialized piece of equipment required mostly in extreme alpine/high elevation environments. An ice axe is a tool that is a bit more applicable in situations where ice, glacier crossings, extremely steep/slick rock, or self-arrest potential are likely. The trekking pole on the other hand is more of a mobility tool where steep and uneven terrain, long mileage and heavy loads are likely to be encountered. Having said that, there are some instances where an ice axe can be used instead of trekking pole(s) but those in my experience are few and far between. They are two different tools for two different jobs. Now before someone gets offend and flames me, I've used both extensively so I'm qualified to make the observations I'm making having used both over many years.

God Bless America!
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I pretty much agree, however the situation I referred to above, poles would have been useless and certainly would have broken the way the axe was used.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Are you using an axe that long as a walking cane - sort of?

That's a damn long axe! Are you wicked tall?

the one I borrowed and used a couple years ago was used primarily for assistance ascending steep mossy slopes that were more like a wall than anything. That, and trenching to keep the high spot the tent was on from getting flooded. crazy

Yeah, I'm wicked tall. Thus the reason for the long shaft. I use mine for all sorts of applications; stability, fording, balance, self arrest, cutting steps in ice/snow, trenching, burying human waste when hunting truly huge and quite wary coastal brown bear, turning ears, skinning toes, shooting rest, prop for my external-frame pack to rest against when glassing for hours and hours and hours and hours - the list is endless.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I was asking Vek, but thanks.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hiking on steep areas , side hills with loose wet rocks, shale, steeps area of ice and snow, blowdowns. Especially with elk, deer quarters.

Hiking poles have proven to be a god send in my40's.

I like the flip locks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
I was asking Vek, but thanks.

No problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For woods walking, brook crossing and some downhill when carrying a gun and maybe a backpack I pick up a stick from the ground.

Just some stick lying there is enough for me and it's easy to find and then discard.

See that skinny stick poked into the ground between the stump and the sapling! Something like that.

Easy.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
A short alpine axe is weight in the pack for everything except negotiating a steep slope.

A long axe is a cane on the flat, an unbendable/unbreakable assist on a moraine, a step-cutter on the short ice slope when you don't want to stop and dismount to put on crampons, and an arresting tool on terrain where a fast slide/fall/tumble means debilitating injury or death. It's a compromise versus a short axe on the steep - the long axe will fatigue the uphill arm a bit, but we're not scaling K2 here. I'm not willing to carry a short axe.

Dragging my sorry behind to the airstrip with two poles broke off shorter than long axe length colored my opinion of walking aids in glacier country. The poles were great. Until they broke. Then the aluminum stubs slipped off every rock and generally sucked.

This year I carried a pole and the axe. I used both on the moraine at the same time, and just the axe on the steeps where you'd want the ability to arrest. Worked like a freaking champ.

Originally Posted by redfoxx
The applications for trekking poles and ice axes in my opinion are quite different with the ice axe being a very specialized piece of equipment required mostly in extreme alpine/high elevation environments. An ice axe is a tool that is a bit more applicable in situations where ice, glacier crossings, extremely steep/slick rock, or self-arrest potential are likely. The trekking pole on the other hand is more of a mobility tool where steep and uneven terrain, long mileage and heavy loads are likely to be encountered. Having said that, there are some instances where an ice axe can be used instead of trekking pole(s) but those in my experience are few and far between. They are two different tools for two different jobs. Now before someone gets offend and flames me, I've used both extensively so I'm qualified to make the observations I'm making having used both over many years.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Vek is not quite 6'3, so he's no giant.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Thanks for the response. That confirms what I was thinking. I don't know the length that was used before, but was probably 90 or 95.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
TOM, no kidding I felt just as you do for 40 years. I'll spend the rest of my life hiking with trekking poles. They are that good. It's like taking 25% off your back and improving stability exponentially. In rough steep country they cannot be beat.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I see some of the yuppie hikers dressed in the latest hiking fashion carrying them but I don't understand the purpose, it seems to just be herd mentality.

What are they for? Is there something I've missed in 35 years of backpacking without them?

You must be a flatlander.

In the Cascades, with any pack over 20 lbs, they're a Godsend.

Flatlander .. perhaps, maybe.

Can you elaborate on "in the Cascades?" That's exactly where I've been hiking lately. Truth of the matter is, I find the Cascades to be easier than some of the coast range areas I used to hike.

My pack has been starting out at 45-50 pounds at the trailhead. Got some newer, lighter gear to try out this year. Knowing me, if I get down under about 35 I'll find something extra for ballast. smile

Tom

Have you bee up Asgard Pass near Leavenworth? Or more importantly, down? I had a heavy pack, heavier than I should have taken, and the poles were necessary for safe decent.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an use one of these when I think there may be snow in the plan: Black Diamond - Whippet Self-Arrest Ski Pole

Works for me.

Any feed back on Leki poles for treking?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leki Makalu's are what we use when sheep hunting, I keep at least 1 in my pack at all times. These are solid poles and when adjusted to the proper length for me they stay locked in place.

Steelhead

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ok, maybe just because I am a cheap SOB, but I have never spent over $5 (usually $3) just picking up some good quality ski poles at thrift stores or yard sales. They work great and if damaged (very rare) are easily replaced. I actually leave a set in my truck and have more in the garage. Just a thought!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got bum knees, trecking poles are a godsend.

Can't comment on the costco poles, but costco is great about returns when you break stuff smile

My first pair of trecking poles were a cheap pair that I bent the first time out in less than an hour. Then I got a pair of BD trecking poles and it took me several years to bend them. About 20 miles in Crow Creak I slipped on an off camber patch of mud, managed to save myself with a pole plant but bent it pretty badly. I was able to straighten it out without any cracks or stress marks, though it doesn't quite fully retract now.

I wouldn't go with carbon fiber, they are slightly lighter but they won't bend when over stressed, they'll shatter. Also using them in rocky terrain will nick them up which will lead to them failing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The problem with ski poles is that they are not adjustable and being able to adjust your trekkers is a must. I encounter all kinds of different situations when I use mine, creek crossings, side hilling, climbing, walking downhill. Being able to adjust it makes it so much easier for those given situations.

Steelhead

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
410 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 41 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.