Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TEXMAG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Anyone ever weld two 55 gal drums together for a deer feeder. I have a AC welder and a flux core mig. Welded two drum lids together for a test with the Mig and didn't have a problem. Kinda nervous to start on the drums yet. Trying to cut back on trips to deer lease with the cost of fuel going up.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Shouldn't be a problem, know several people that have done it. Just remember to mount the legs a little higher (about where the seam between barrels is) so its not too top heavy.

Bill

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Now thats an idea for sure, just make sure the legs are strong. Should be able to put about 600 LBS. or more in it?

NEVER GIVE UP
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
320 and 320 without a funnel... 640... definitely have good legs on em. Welding the 2 isn't a big deal.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TEXMAG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I was looking at my Drums, the bottom of the drum looks to have a different edge on them. Looks like the bottom edge of the drums is thicker. I think I will weld the two bottoms together. Bought schedule 40, 1 5/8" x 8' for legs at American Fence. Had 6' legs before. Should be able to throw corn for at least 3 months. 110 gals @ 5.45lbs a gal = ~600 lbs, throw 6lbs a day for
100 days. I hope! LOL

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You might also have to increase the size of the pads that hold up the feeder. Since you are doubling the weight of the feed, it may sink into soft ground if it rains and it may fall over. A flat peice of sheetmetal about 1/8" thick under each leg should work just fine.

Since it is thinner material, i would opt for the mig with the flux core wire over the stick welder but both will work. If you are using the ac buzz box i would use some 3/32" or 1/8" 6011 or 6010 (6011 is actually made for ac machines but i have not seen any difference in performance or ease of welding)
Definately weld the thickest areas together if that is an option and try to get them as tight is possible to eliminate gaps and that will make welding easier.
If you are going to weld with the stick welder and you have a gap to weld, you can use another welding rod as a filler to weld over or use it to introduce additional metal to the weld puddle and it will make the job wasier ( Sorta like tig welding but using the stick /arc welding process) If you use the filler rod, it wil perform better if you sand or scrape off the flux .
Hope this helps.
.....SmokeRolls

Last edited by SmokeRolls; 03/02/12.

If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2nd Chronicles 7:14
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SmokeRolls
You might also have to increase the size of the pads that hold up the feeder. Since you are doubling the weight of the feed, it may sink into soft ground if it rains and it may fall over. A flat peice of sheetmetal about 1/8" thick under each leg should work just fine.

Since it is thinner material, i would opt for the mig with the flux core wire over the stick welder but both will work. If you are using the ac buzz box i would use some 3/32" or 1/8" 6011 or 6010 (6011 is actually made for ac machines but i have not seen any difference in performance or ease of welding)
Definately weld the thickest areas together if that is an option and try to get them as tight is possible to eliminate gaps and that will make welding easier.
If you are going to weld with the stick welder and you have a gap to weld, you can use another welding rod as a filler to weld over or use it to introduce additional metal to the weld puddle and it will make the job wasier ( Sorta like tig welding but using the stick /arc welding process) If you use the filler rod, it wil perform better if you sand or scrape off the flux .
Hope this helps.
.....SmokeRolls

Mr. welder man..... grin. Knew there was somthing odd about you whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Before you get to wild? You might look on the side so to speak and see what was in there first. Heat can do strang things.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kawi
Before you get to wild? You might look on the side so to speak and see what was in there first. Heat can do strang things.

Damn straight, we wouldn't want to the op to change his name to KABOOM!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by kawi

Damn straight, we wouldn't want to the op to change his name to KABOOM!!!

Thats funny .....but so right!
Hahahaha
I love the "KABOOM" name though....
.....SmokeRolls

If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2nd Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Before welding I'd powerwash the insides to remove all traces of what they previously held.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Have done quite a few making horse feeders out of them.Although not a professional welder by any means.I have had better luck brazing them and these horses and mules are a lot tougher on them than deer would be, so they are strong enough.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've done that, two barrels welded together, one a-top the other to double the capacity. Now I prefer to just set up two complete feeders at each stand. One set to throw in the AM the other to throw in the PM.

It saves me trips out to fill feeders which more than covers the cost of an additional feeder and motor. If one motor should fail you still have some feed hitting the ground from the other.

Those double barrel feeders are very heavy, and create more problems than they solve.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Man there a lot of ideas here first power wash them out the open the koles up for air or smoke or gases to get out then put a lot of tacks welds between the sides lot of them like every 1/4 inch or so and remember to stager them top to bottom to center . Then weld for about 2 inches top bottom an center till done if you blow a hole. Take a nother rod weld over the rod to plug it

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You should not have any trouble welding two drums together. I have made many cattle feeders out of drums. We weld three of them together and then cut them in half lenghtwise. It makes two nice cattle trough feeders.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
T
TEXMAG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Both Drums had Chocolate syrup in them. I don't think I will have a problem with a BLEVE, I cut the bottoms out of the drums and have removed the lids. I will mount the funnel to one end protruding out of the drum. I don't have any 6010's or 6011 rods I have tried them don't like the welds they/I make with them to much porosity. I can make some nice welds with 6013's. I appreciate everyone looking out for my safety. I know the laws of unintended consequence's and have the scars to prove it.LOL

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck. Post some pics when you get the feeder done. I would like to see how it turns out. I may try and make one myself

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by TEXMAG
I don't have any 6010's or 6011 rods I have tried them don't like the welds they/I make with them to much porosity. I can make some nice welds with 6013's. I appreciate everyone looking out for my safety. I know the laws of unintended consequence's and have the scars to prove it.LOL

Just trying to pass on a little knowledge so you wont rule out those rods for future projects.
6010 and 6011 both look nasty after welding due to the flux but once the flux is cleaned off the weld is nice as long as the welder does his part.
The porosity was not from the rod unless;
*The flux was damaged or missing
*You were welding on some nasty metal with issues
*The rod was held too far from the material being welded (long arcing it) and the flux will not be able to do it's job to seal the molten metal from the atmosphere until it cools.
*You were using to low of amperage (Which would have been hard to weld)

6011 and 6010 are both one of the best and most universal rods that can be used in the welders arsenal right up there with 7018.
They can be used to weld
*over heavy paint
*greasy coated steel
*a little bit of flux covered steel
*It has violent penetration but is so flexible and controllable with amperage.
*It will fill gaps and holes without having to chip away much of the flux.
6013 will work and it is prettier but it cannot compare to what can be done with the 6010-6011
Just trying to help.
.......SmokeRolls

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thats what I would use also

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Well she sead 7018 whould plug any hole.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 47 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.