24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What makes you think this is the only venue one uses? Who gave you authority to control what others post? Just because you cannot answer the very basic questions about current populations... such as why they have been at least an order of magnitude higher in the past in the current MatSu cow hunt units... you are left with a very hollow argument.

I am not suggesting those higher numbers were within carrying capacity, but suggesting they are not now is laughable. Take a walk out on the Knik River flats and take a look at the browse and tell me it is over-utilized.

The condition of wildlife populations in AK is currently a frigging joke of the highest order. ADF&G and the BOG can add all the variables they care to and arrive at a number the pompous pricks on the BOG (and all past, for that matter) can swallow, but the biologists themselves are strongly divided, the management is a joke, morale is and has been in the toilet for ever, and they are doing a very [bleep] job in about every aspect.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
What makes you think this is the only venue one uses? Who gave you authority to control what others post? Just because you cannot answer the very basic questions about current populations... such as why they have been at least an order of magnitude higher in the past in the current MatSu cow hunt units... you are left with a very hollow argument.

I am not suggesting those higher numbers were within carrying capacity, but suggesting they are not now is laughable. Take a walk out on the Knik River flats and take a look at the browse and tell me it is over-utilized.

The condition of wildlife populations in AK is currently a frigging joke of the highest order. ADF&G and the BOG can add all the variables they care to and arrive at a number the pompous pricks on the BOG (and all past, for that matter) can swallow, but the biologists themselves are strongly divided, the management is a joke, morale is and has been in the toilet for ever, and they are doing a very [bleep] job in about every aspect.

With all due respect to your rant, I can attest to the fact that things changed after statehood. When looking back at management practices during territorial days and then the practices after statehood, it's no great wonder as to why wildlife populations are somewhat reduced from territorial years and the decade which followed. With what is now available to wildlife managers (state and federal) and wildlands managers (state and federal), we're never going to see wildlife numbers like we did in the 50's and 60's. It's just not possible. Again, if you have issues with how things are being done, you should do something about it instead of just whining about it in dubious fashion.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am talking about far more recent times than the '60s... Actually right up to Predator Pit Tony took over and did more damage to Alaskans, partiularly hunters and fishermen, than any administration before or since. And capping that with dropping the Katie Johns lawsuit was unbelievable.

The string of subsistence decisions made by the BOG was beyond pathetic. The Nelchina herd caribou decisions should have subjected them to more than just the intensive ridicule and disgust most hold for them...

Now, one more time nice and slow so you can understand it: ADF&G does not consider the area to have moose in excess of the carrying capacity at the present time... nor did they when they started the cow hunts. Black Bear Rossi did not really believe the unit 13 moose population was too high in 2010 when they had an "Emergency opening" for bull moose. It is all about politics and anyone that thinks otherwise is dreaming with his eyes tightly closed.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SD:

GMU 14A moose have been near and at and above the available carry capacity since the 60's, so what's your point? It seems you haven't had any access to historical data or even the current data.

In terms of the Knowles Administrations application of predator control, an actual predator control program was engaged during that administration and it had fantastic results.

In relation to GMU 13 caribou, that herd has been mismanaged since territorial days, even prior to statehood. Currently, the population is being managed in a way that benefits both the environment and the various allowable user groups and that includes non-consumptive uses (resident and non-resident).

I think you should become involved more so you could learn more about the history of Alaska, rather than just grabbing bits of sound-bites from thin air.

Have a nice day !!!!

Maverick

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You might be mistaking for fact, printed assumptions on data from the 60's as being hard science...they are not necessarily so. It is fact that numbers were compiled. It is also fact that these numbers were crunched from much lesser data available to the citing biologist into the now well used models somewhere around 1988 to 1990, many years later.

Fast forward to the mid 70's. As time marched on from statehood, increasing populations of hunters came into play. New data was needed to better understand the moose population's relationship to new pressures- automobile strikes, many more consumptive users, a viable railroad booming with newfound customers, and the like. Predator information had always been a factor, though not as forefront in the news as it is today.Of course, good scientific information regarding predators didn't show up until the 70's. There was also the pressure given by the constitution to manage for MSY. Read as "political pressure from above." Things were changing quickly.

Others here have given you what you you might consider anecdotal information. What that means is "not scientifically" formulated...simply observed. What is fact is that population densities and carrying capacity for the unit 14 herds were "estimated" from statehood through the 60's and early 70's, then built by todays current practices and model. When a comment like "The best data/information available at the time was utilized" comes to print, one must understand what is being said. I can understand your acceptance as "fact" as what has been printed. It was "fact" that prompted scientific men of the day to document their observations as "fact" on the notion of "spontaneous generation."

You claim as one of your bonofides "hunting in Alaska for over 4 decades." If this is true (I have no reason to doubt this, though you might want to update your web-site) you will remember that the population of Anchorage, Wasilla, and Mat/Su in the pre-quake days were less than 50 thousand souls. The number of consumptive user man-hours to bag a moose was far less than currently required. The number of moose taken was as many as 4 times greater in peak years in the 1960's than is currently managed for on the low end, over twice on the high end. Also fact.

I was rather dissappointed in the manner you chose to hold discourse with people here at the 'fire. At first I reasoned another professional here might allow for more information of the "positive kind" to leach out to the masses. I realize that my opinion and three bucks might buy you a cup of Joe at one of the little stands downtown. Right now that opinion suggests you are a condesending, arrogant ass and need go on ignore.
What that means is that "you are a condesending, arrogant ass and need go on ignore."

Have a nice day!!!!

Last edited by bearhuntr; 03/04/12. Reason: forgot to add "Have a nice day!!!!"

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hehe

If you are going to be dumb - you've got to be tuff.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bear Hunter:

Your distaste for and/or unacceptance of my varied experience aside, I will state some pertinent accountabilities in terms of GMU 14A moose, as follows;

Science is an evolutionary process, so of course science shall change over time. Computer models can tell scientists whatever they want to read. However, the development of science over time provides data which is applicable in future realms.

Anyway, the fact does remain that the current abundance of moose in GMU 14A is on par with what the carry capacity can sustain over long term. With that being said, the carry capacity has diminished over the past 50 years, but not because of biological mismanagement. Rather, reduction in carry capacity is and has been caused by societal displacement.

Going back to when I grew up in Alaska, moose were much more abundant because several federal programs - both societal and biological - created an atmosphere for overtly abundant sub-populations which turns out, wasn't healthy in an ecological sense.

In specific reference to GMU 14A, the current situation - long sense the establishment of statehood - is the result of things which are well beyond wildlife managers' ability to control. The leading constraint to having moose sub-populations at levels of the 50's, 60's and 70's, is that there's not enough habitat nor the potential for habitat to maintain and sustain that many moose.

Therefore, to keep sub-populations in check and to promote productivity as well as long-term habitat benefit, wildlife managers manage through a sustainable male harvest and if applicable, a sustainable female harvest. In the case of GMU 14A, the current bull harvest is and has been sustainable and, an appropriate number of female moose in the overall harvest has been warranted the past 10-15 years.

In terms of your self-assessed disappointment in what I've contributed in text on this nebulous website, I'm sorry that you're having issues with that. Hopefully over time it will alleviate.

You have a nice morning, as well.

Maverick

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maverick
To start, your pretentious use of words you do not understand gives you away, big time... Here is just a single example, temporally closest to the issue:

"Hopefully over time it will alleviate."

Suggesting 14A moose have been at carrying capacity since the '60s is preposterous given the extreme range of populations over that time frame. Suggesting so would indicate the populations of the '60s would have severely damaged the browse... they did not.

Reducing the population to reduce vehicle-moose collisions is not a function of carrying capacity in the biological sense.

Unfortunately for you, your bio-babble is no better than your English. And neither are worth wasting time on.
art

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=Sitka deer]Maverick
To start, your pretentious use of words you do not understand gives you away, big time... Here is just a single example, temporally closest to the issue:

"Hopefully over time it will alleviate."

Suggesting 14A moose have been at carrying capacity since the '60s is preposterous given the extreme range of populations over that time frame. Suggesting so would indicate the populations of the '60s would have severely damaged the browse... they did not.

Reducing the population to reduce vehicle-moose collisions is not a function of carrying capacity in the biological sense.

Unfortunately for you, your bio-babble is no better than your English. And neither are worth wasting time on.
art

[/quotArthur:

Rather than go into a lesson concerning application and use of the English language and its context per word-use, I'll mention the following;

Obviously, you weren't around this area during the 60's, or you wouldn't of proffered your synopsis concerning former/present habitat conditions.

And, the biological community isn't managing a population for public safety, as that's not provided under statute.

Again, if you have issues with the science of wildlife conservation and lands management and, the allocation of those resources among user groups, then do something tangible about it.

Maverick

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dang. Fresh out of popcorn.

It looks like nachos for me.

On the bright side, Bearhuntr and his snowblower are up on his roof.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Dang. Fresh out of popcorn.

It looks like nachos for me.

On the bright side, Bearhuntr and his snowblower are up on his roof.

Wind has some negatives, obviously, but the fact that it voids the need for snowblowers on roofs is not one of them. smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It..is....................................................................................................................................finished smile

Thanks to Ironbender's sense of orientation, the crane worked...the snowblower went up (and came down) and...most importantly...momma is happy!

The beer's on beerhuntr wink

*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Maverick940

And, the biological community isn't managing a population for public safety, as that's not provided under statute.

Maverick

I believe you've mentioned here tenure as a member of the BOG. You must have been otherwise occupied to have seen it?

Truth be told...as directed by the BOG, the DF&G has set up archery only hunts for cow moose in order to alleviate ...wait for it... Automobile/Moose collisions! Yepper, I even got one of those tags a couple of years ago. Up by Fairbanks IIRC. Got to meet a kindred spirit up there-very helpful was he smile Just another helpful, regular, sourdough kinda fellow, that TLTQ fellow.

*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
It..is....................................................................................................................................finished smile

Thanks to Ironbender's sense of orientation, the crane worked...the snowblower went up (and came down) and...most importantly...momma is happy!

The beer's on beerhuntr wink

I'm gonna start a business named "Speedy Helper" or "Is That Fast Enough?"

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just another helpful, regular, sourdough kinda fellow, that TLTQ fellow.

He's just another beer hunter. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Really... They did it up there, too?

Originally Posted by Maverick940

Maverick

I believe you've mentioned here tenure as a member of the BOG. You must have been otherwise occupied to have seen it?

Truth be told...as directed by the BOG, the DF&G has set up archery only hunts for cow moose in order to alleviate ...wait for it... Automobile/Moose collisions! Yepper, I even got one of those tags a couple of years ago. Up by Fairbanks IIRC. Got to meet a kindred spirit up there-very helpful was he smile Just another helpful, regular, sourdough kinda fellow, that TLTQ fellow.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Indeed smile

*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Someone with arrows needs to write a proposal for BOG along those lines for 15. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Recall the last RAC BOG meeting we attended? I brought that very point up to Corry Rossi. We chatted about it but, at the time I'm guessing he was more concerned with bears...

Of course you know why it was fresh in my mind to do so wink

*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep and yup.

Still should/has to, go to BOG.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.