Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Is an NIB Ruger No1 in .22Hornet for $699 a good deal?

BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
ummmmm .... YEAH !!!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
+2, grab it shocked

Gunner

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Fantastic price, get it!

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great deal if its a 1B. If it is a 1A you might be onto the 'Steal of the Decade". #3s are also pretty nice.

1B

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Good buy if the rifle's condition is actually "NIB"... and if you can accept the range limitations of a .22 Hornet which is a 150 yard cartridge.

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I do not think so. The typical No.1 does not sell well to the masses. I think if you gave 700, you might want to keep it a while before thinking of reselling, just my opinion. If it is going to be a keeper, then who knows but you. Gun sales can act funny, sometimes the lack of availablity influences numbers; sometimes not.

Take a look at the gun e-sites to see supposed selling prices, note that all that sell are not all completed sales. Sales numbers, values vary greatly by area. In my area, if one took that to a local shop or show, the offers would be around 1/2 to 2/3 of your number depending on cash/tradein. Just what I have experienced, so I keep them for donors.

That past four that I have purchased, none were over 500, all hornets for what that is worth. Perhaps the values are better where you are at.

It would be difficult to see much more than 500.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
redz06,

The last four #1 Hornets you bought NIB cost you under $500? Do you live in the slums of Albania? Or did you buy them in 1980?

I cannot any longer find used and abused donor #1s for projects for that price, much less NIB models.

Also, the price offered by local shop owners is not what they charge when they resell them. The latter is the fair comparison point for this guy's query.

Its clear you have no use for the Hornet as is. You may be missing something. It makes a fine walking sroud short to mid renage varmint/plinking round and in a Ruger #1 gives me lots of muscle memory honing practice at a very low cost. And, Mule Deer counted his 1B Hornet among his ten favorite rifles a few years ago.

1B

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
1B,

I only have purchased 5 No.1 hornets in factory condition(recounted today). Three of them were purchased post 2000 new/preowned for 500 or less, the last two were purchased preowned last year, one for 450 and the other for 500 if that matters to you. Nice wood/metal, not beaters by any means.

I am not sure why you would have a comment about where anyone lives, some might take it the wrong way. It really is meaningless to most.

I have an appreciation for the Hornet, but with a custom barrel, mostly in the 17 and 22K varieties. I have not tried the Lil Gun powder yet in a standard hornet, but the net says it gives pretty good speed.

I agree trade in value is not much on a No.1, at least in some localities. To sell one is a little different on occasion, but you have to find the right new guy. I have read on other forums about buying no.1's. It seems to vary with region or occasion with some forums/posters.

I have no idea about whether the original poster or others like the No.1 hornet or not, he asked about pricing, and I tried to respond. I would be hesitant to give 500+ unless I did some research on sales in my area or just wanted the rifle which might be the case irregardless of price.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I saw a real nice one last week at a gunshow in Harrisonburg Va. Asking price was $750. Needless to say it never moved off the table.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I felt it was too high. What do we think we would offer if someone offered to sell this gun at $699 from $850? He only came off of $850 because I told him I'd seen that gun on his shelf since at least 2007.

I'm spoiled from having worked at a gunstore prior to joining the Army so I haven't paid much over dealer cost in a long time.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
redz06,

The Albania comment was out of line. I apologize.

1B

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
1B,

no problem on my end.

Redz06

Last edited by redz06; 02/29/12.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
1B...

After reading your posts for the past several years, I think most of us realized that you are a considerate gentleman and knew you were making a joke. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
It was a difficult joke for me really; but time goes on.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes, I can see it was "difficult" for you... and my post was as much to help you realize 1B was joking as to tell 1B most of us knew he was joking.

The vast majority of posters in the Forum are good and decent gentlemen... and 1B is most certainly one of 'em... as are you, I'm sure. smile

My post was more to ease tensions than anything else... and, hopefully, that has been accomplished. Now we can move on...

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Ron T.

You know, it has been good to get help and give help here on this forum. That said, you and 1B have shown me the other side of things, that really, all in all, that new members are not really welcome. You show that in your use of "" and obiviously taking sides in a matter that did not really concern you.

I wish you both well in your endeavors, there won't be anymore "tensions" for you to be concerned with, hopefully that will satisfy you both.

Redz06

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hornets are useful.

RonT, I like your tag line. After a long career in enforcement, I made the mistake of answering the phone one morning. I ended up going to work for a large trucking company that was in need of help in complying with all the DOT rules and regulations. After I had been there a while, my vice president stopped by one day for a discussion on management and administration. After my input, he commented that I knew lots of stuff. My reply was that I did know lots of stuff and that some of it was even useful. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
402... thanx for your comments. When I frequented chat rooms 10-15 years ago on the internet and when questioned or challenged about something I'd said or commented on... I use to say, "I know a lot about a little and a little about a lot, but only a fool thinks he gets smarter and smarter until he knows EVERYTHING about NOTHING!". That statement usually broke the tension and everyone got a giggle outta it... and moved on in peace.

"Life" is too short to live in anger... and it's best to really try to just "get along". grin

In this Forum, I am truly sorry that Redz06 felt I unfairly "defended" 1B when my only purpose in posting was to hopefully replace what I sensed was obvious anger with a more calm and positive outlook and understanding.

In my mind, I wasn't particularly favoring 1B, but I honestly did feel that he was joking and that while his words might possibly upset someone, he was merely making a joke and was gentleman enough to apologize once he realized he had offended someone.

Unfortunately this didn't seem to be enough for Redz06. Had he checked my posts through the almost 9 years I've frequented the various forums on the "Fire", he would have noted that I've never made nasty or unfriendly comments to anyone as a matter of habit regardless of what they've said or how they've said it to or about me.

I.E., I've always tried to be a "peace-maker"... which tends to be my nature in real life as well. It is unfortunate that some folks just have to be critical and look for problems... whether those problems actually exist or not. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
redz06,

You should know that the remark in question was not made to you as a relative new comer here. I had no idea at the time how many posts you had made then, and I care nothing about it now. Waving that bloody shirt is unjustified. Now if you had warned us all that you bruise easily and tend to withdraw when challenged, I might have dialed down the rhetoric.

The issue was your assertion on costs of used #1s that was way out of line with everything I have seen at multiple gunshops, gun shows in VA and 3 adjoining states, and the internet. For the record, I continue to doubt that the prices you quoted are the norm anywhere -- except for what a gun shop or pawn store might offer you for a used #1 rifle before adding their substanital profit to their price tag. Of course, there are clueless, inept, private sellers out there but they are not trend setters. And those deals represent a highly random, bottom end, of a price range that goes quite a bit higher. Any aware seller -- private or dealer -- could advertise such #1s on the inet for at least $100 to $150 more, or sell or trade them at gunshows for equivelant value. Why would they take such a skinning?

Anyway,...now I am on the verge of apologizing to the Albanians .

1B

Last edited by 1B; 03/14/12.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
274 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,783 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.