Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
This past weekend was my first match with the new NXS scope.

The wind was tricky, coming in from an unusual direction for Bayou, west by northwest. My boresighting job was good enough to get on the target at 1000 yards right away and then I spent a few more sighters to get dialed in more accurately. I started out at 42X, but backed it out to 35X so that I could monitor the targets on either side of mine. At first I had a bit of problem getting my head set properly, but by match 3, it was very natural.

I did encounter an issue during match #2, were my left eye went batty, the eyelids were fluttering uncontrollably and I was getting very frustrated. I lost 5 points in two shots, trying to continue shooting. I paused for a few minutes and then resumed shooting without further eyelid crazyness. It was strange.

On match #3, the mirage was moving but I got a good bead on it. I finally set the elevation down properly midway through the string and from that point on all I needed to do was dope the wind. I finished quite strong even though I shot a lone 7 when the rifle was not at my shoulder; it fired back into my shoulder and I got a 7 straight at 9 o'clock. My fault.

I like the scope, it is extremely clear and I like the ease of focus even though you should always adjust it going back to zero and working up to your focus point. I like the NP-2DD reticle, and I am learning it.

Money well spent, I think.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I`m too lazy to look it up, but what, if any, weight restrictions are placed on F class?

See "Tube Gun" below.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
18.18 pounds on F-T/R, including bipod. I think F-open is 22 pounds, excluding front rest.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Denys

You have been in this long enough now that you know NOT to shoot through funny eyes.... it'll bite you almost everytime. You knew that and still shot and it reaffirmed what you knew.
Same with teh gun out of the shoulder.

I'm as guilty as you are or at least was when still shooting, its a mental game at that point, but you already know the outcome is 99% not going to be good so why chance it, better to wait it out and make it right before shooting, even if you end up missing the wind by burning time...

And you know I say this in sincerity, you have so much potential there and I think you are getting closer to that potential with each match.

And now you finally admit a more accurate rifle and better scope and loads might actually benefit you too!

Bravo IMHO.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Well, I didn't freak out too much, after all this match was more of a trial of the new scope and adjustment of such. I just thought it was weird to have the eyelid go out of control but since I'm right eyed, I could not figure out why my left eyelids went nuts. Must be age.

Yeah, I kinda figured out the Weaver had brought me about as far as it could with my aging eyes.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
You are going to be just really great shooter if you keep after it!!!

I have floaters really bad... Even if I know I"m in PERFECT conditions to be slinging repeated Xs downrange with my service rifle, I HAVE to wait them out.... you know if you listen to that little voice you do better generally...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks, the tube gun at 16 will do.
Ryan wants to try the 6mm D-Tac bullets.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
CGPAUL, I don't know what you mean by tube gun and see below, but if it's a 16+lbs now, don't forget the bipod. That can be 2 lbs or more.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Look Here...

I solved the issue with the 7lb barrel. A 31" Heavy Varmit barrel will weigh aprox 7lbs, a Heavy Palma aprox 6.5lbs @31"

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I know what a tube gun is, I don't know what CGPAUl was saying about "tube gun and see below" I saw nothing below.

I think I'm happy with the mid-heavy contour I specified for my Krieger. Let's see what it weighs when it gets here.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
"Tube Gun" is a topic on this thread, below yours. A picture and comments go along.
Please visit.
PS...AJ300 had a link for you to click on..see his last post here.

Last edited by CGPAUL; 03/08/12.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
I like the scope, it is extremely clear and I like the ease of focus even though you should always adjust it going back to zero and working up to your focus point. I like the NP-2DD reticle, and I am learning it.

Money well spent, I think.

can you clarify what you mean by going back to zero? do you mean from infinity down or ZERO up.I beleive the correct procedure is to go from infinity down to your yardage. the reason being that going down prevents you from stopping short of the distance desired. going from zero to your yardage has the possible problem of going further then your desired distance. If you go beyond your target the mirage can reverse directon. creating all sorts of problems.

Nightforce makes good glass you should enjoy it.

Trevor

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Trevor, good on you for chiming in.

It's an old habit I developed using other scopes with side focus. I definitely mistyped and I did mean going to infinity and backing down until I reached focus. I have been playing with the NF and I "think" that it's just like the Nikon Tactical I have and that it "may" not suffer from the lash of the side focus like some Leupold I used to own. The next few matches should confirm that for me. We shall see.

I am enjoying the NF, so far.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Just shot in another 1000 yard match this past weekend. I REALLY like that Nightforce NXS. I was actually able to place the dot inside the X-ring and I could see it with no problem. The first match was during a heavily overcast condition and that would have been very difficult with the Weaver.

I shot a 192-4X in the first match; I dropped a single point during the first 10 shots. Starting at shot 12, I got three 9s in a row, just outside the 10, then got two 8s in succession. When I pulled my head out of my posterior, the last 4 shots were 10s and Xs.

Ended the match with a 570-11X. Not my best ever but high up there for me.

Did I mention I really like the NXS?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
shot 12 area was always the time both my position started to suck a bit, and needed retweaking RE NPA and such, and about the time my eyes started to show the strain....

Not saying there is much you can do for the 2nd, or that its even possibly using glass vs irons, but you can watch the NPA stuff.

I suspect though that you know what happened as you allude to HUA syndrome.

570 ain't bad including HUA.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Yep, I was looking at the wrong flags. And that would be HUP. :-)
Did I mention I like the new scope.

(I'd better, it was pricey.)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
620 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,851 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.