Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not ideal nor my idea of hunting but it can be done effectively within given constraints if a situation deems it necessary. In other words if all you have is a 22LR and you are extremely hard up for meat.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
SC Law states...
It is unlawful to hunt deer within 300 yards of a residence without
permission of the owner and occupant, except that a landowner may hunt
on his own land

I have already been up the chain with DNR.
I'm not doing anything illegal. try again.
As to the baiting them in aspect, it is illegal to hunt over bait in my game zone. I currently feed the deer and when spring comes i plant food plots.

Last edited by ringworm; 02/17/12.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by davet
I'd still go with a .22mag if it were me (actually a 25-20 or downloaded .357 if it were me). .22mag is leagal for deer in Maine and SC, if I remember correctly.

If you are determined to go this route, look at an actual deer skull, the temple is obviously the softest spot.

I do not know about private land, but the minimun caliber for deer in S.C. is still .243/6mm on public land. DO NOT try using a rimfire for deer on public land. I have known several of the game wardens down there. They WILL find you, and forgiveness, especially for Yankees or Damn Yankees, is not in their lexicon.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Public land?

In SC?

I would walk onto public land in SC OUT OF SEASON...
Not even if I was dressed like this...

[Linked Image]

nope.
no way.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ringworm
FINALLY got confirmation from the Director of DNR in SC...

Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 8:28 AM
To: Charles Ruth
Subject: deer regulations on private lands

Mr. Ruth,
Would you please direct me to the specific code in SC law or DNR regulations pertaining to the minimum caliber LEGALLY allowed for harvesting deer on private lands?
I am unable to find anything that prohibits the use of rimfire weapons on private lands.
I am not interested in what the DNR consideres ethical. I know hunters who could not make a clean kill with a 300 winchester magnum and I know hunters who could use a 22LR and drop every deer they need.
What I am looking for is very specific language that either allows or prohibits the use of rimfires, not an ethics debate.
Thanks you in advance.

There is no such law or regulation for private land.

That said, historically there was a regulation that applied to WMA lands statewide and to private land in Game Zones 1 and 2 that prohibited using FMJ bullets or .22 rimfire or smaller for big game. However, the general assembly removed this restriction on private land a couple of years ago.

The wording related to WMA�s can be found on page 31 of the Rules and Regs brochure and states:
3.3 On WMA lands, big game hunters are not allowed to use military or hard-jacketed bullets or .22 or smaller rimfire.

Again, this used to apply to private land but no longer does.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Charles Ruth
Certified Wildlife Biologist
Deer & Wild Turkey Program Coordinator
SC Dept. of Natural Resources
P. O. Box 167
Columbia, SC 29202-0167

What is going to be the most effective 22LR bullet fired?

It is 100% legal for me to use a 22LR. I am hunting on my land. my shooting position is at a 20 degree downward angle at 0-50 yards MAX.
Im sure some of you will not be able to contain yourselves and must comment about how its unethical to shoot a deer with a 22LR. margin of error ect ect ect.
I am talking about 40 yard MAX shots. I have a sandbagged fixed position to shoot from. Compared to a person taking a 200 yard shot with any centerfire the same margin of error could result in a blown off jaw or leg just as easy.

I've killed two deer (blacktail does) with a .22 RF. Both head shots at relatively close range. Also, a deer-sized goat. All were mercy kills. Very effective.

Uh... let's see... I don't remember specifics, but I know they weren't HP's. If I were to do it again ideally I'd use CCI MiniMag solids.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd use Eley TenX standard solids, or something like it that would shoot bug hole groups.....shoot them in the ear hole or temple. you want penetration, and you have to hit the soft spots.

a .22 mag solid would be a lot more certain to get through, I would think.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 30 years ago my grandfather had some depredations tags for deer on his Middle Tennessee farm. He told me to shoot every one I could. I was a teenager and did as I was told. I managed to shoot several with my Marlin 995 .22. All were head shots at less than 50 yds. Not one took a step after being hit. I used mostly the cheap old Federal Lightning blue box ammo. I always waited until I got a shot at the side of the head and never shot one straight on. It is really not that complicated or hard.

Last edited by TnBigBore; 02/18/12.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
im gonna get some beef ribs and test penetration with various rounds at 50 yards.
starting with the thunderbolts.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Unless Remington has improved the Thunderbolts, they used to be the most inconsistent 22 LR's I have ever used. One would pop, the next one would pow, and every now and then, one would poof. I mentioned the YellowJackets earlier, and come to think of it, they make a Viper which is the same SWC profile in a solid. You may try that one as well.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think you would be even quieter if you back up a bit from the window. Keep the muzzle inside your 'stable blind.' Wear hearing protection.

You might want to get your wife to help you find out if a small centerfire downloaded from the center of the structure is louder than a 22 from the window. I don't know the answer, but it seems worth finding out.

Jason
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Unless Remington has improved the Thunderbolts, they used to be the most inconsistent 22 LR's I have ever used. One would pop, the next one would pow, and every now and then, one would poof.
That's when they go off at all. Lotsa duds with thunderturds. Crappiest .22 ammo on the market bar none. For that matter, all Remington rimfire ammo has sucked straight up ass for decades now.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A couple of posts back, someone mentioned the old Federal Lightning ammo. Now that was some good stuff. Very consistent and accurate out of my old High Standard Double Nine.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I asked a good friend years ago what was his favorite, best deer rifle.. He was a Sioux Indian. He was not sure what I meant, his favorite one, the one he took the most deer with. 22LR was his answer for the most deer. Charlie Two Feathers, learned a lot from him. Told me he was 18 before he found out that beef was something to eat and not sell. I personally would not use one, but given good hunting skills and a careful shot I have no doubt it would be effective. Charlie was a subsistance hunter, maybe not paying paticular attention to what was in season. I did learn however how to hunt deer, and how to find and predict their movements.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
did a little penetration test with remington 40gr thunderbolts today at 45 yards.
from the results i'd say penetration into a whitetail skull is most highly likely.
unless they have a steel plate in thier head.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...LR_penetration_test_in_pictu#Post6258256

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I thought this was interesting on the CCI Velocitor, a ballistic gel test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7plzIVmLlU

Last edited by stray round; 03/06/12. Reason: dang spelline
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Wow, I think I'm going to buy a brick of Velocitors tomorrow.

As for the earlier mention of Aguila 60 grainers I tried them in both of my .22s, a Marlin 39M and a Remington 541-T, and neither one would shoot them accurately in spite of being accurate, high quality rifles.

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
shooting a deer with a 22 is just plain wrong.

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
22LR 40 gr @ 1,150 FPS = 116 ft lbs
average whitetail 100 Lbs
thats 1.16 Ft Lbs of energy per pound of body weight

458 Lott 450 gr @ 2,450 FPS = 6000 ft lbs
Average male african Elephant 7,700 lb
thats .779 Ft Lbs of energy per pound of body weight

So do you think shooting an elephant with a 458 Lott is wrong as well?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by rem141r
shooting a deer with a 22 is just plain wrong.

Unless there's hungry neighbor's with ten kids and yo daddy sez, "BOY, GET YOUR 22 AND THE 1-TON GO DOWN TO THE LOW FIELD AND GET SOME DEER MEAT FOR RICHARD!!!"

Gunner

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Might I suggest a ThunderBeast Arms 22L-1 for a suppressor? It is titanium and under $500 so with the stamp you would be in it under $700. It is extremely quiet on my 10/22 and 22/45 pistol. Make sure to use subsonic ammo

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,314
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.