Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
There's an Astra A75 sitting in a local shop. The owner offered to come waaaay off the price if I was interested. Does anyone on the 'fire have experience with this model Astra? Appears to be a nickel finish, all steel and not a bad looking pistol. What little real info I can google up would seem to indicate they were/are very good pistols, but the info is spotty at best.

thanks,
dave

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
^

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had one years go and it was a very good pistol, kind of a Sig/Browning clone if I remember. I might even have some spare mags if you end up with it,

NRA Benefactor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a pair of A70 9mm - basically the same but SA instead of DA/SA. REALLY like them. A little steel heft in that small package makes for a good shooter. Grooming mine for CCW use.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I think I'll wander over there Monday and see what kind of deal I can work on this pistol. It's pretty stoutly built and it ain't a pocket pistol but it should be a good carry weapon.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interested to hear what the trigger on the A-75 is like.

The A-70's trigger is reputed online to be "good"; my cromo A-70 is good, the SS was a little crunchier. Just picked up the SS A-70 from the smith for trigger job. Trigger went from merely "OK" from factory to now "pretty darn good" smile

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I personally don't have any experience with the Astra, but KevinGibson has had some good things to say about Astras in general. Here is one thread (not specifically addressing the A-75 though), https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Slightly_obscure_and_quirky#Post5574108

In the above link, Kevin has a link to an article he in which he favorably compared the A-70 to the Star Firestar- which I did own one of for a couple years in the hard chrome finish that Star called, "Starvel". It was a good, reliable gun.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Thanks for the link. And I'll let y'all know about the trigger.

d.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldRooster

d.

Looking forward to your report. I might be considering one myself.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had an A75 in 9mm and it was a very nice pistola. The trigger stacked up a fair amount on the end of its travel but that darn thing shot well, and I was too immature to understand what I had

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I traded off an A-100 in 45acp to a buddy of mine. Very solid performer and shooter. Designed very much like the sig line, but less $$$...Mags were always hard to find, but a nice pistol.

dave

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
If the deal is right I think I'll snag it. It has been well cared for and all indications are that it has been fired little.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I looked at the pistol again this morning. I think we're coming to a meeting of the minds on it. It's even cleaner and lower mileage than I thought after the first look. And it's stainless, not nickel, with polished flats. I believe I'm going to get it. I'm not crazy about the trigger but I have felt worse. DA is pretty good. SA feels kind of long and mushy, almost like a two-stage.

d.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

d.

Oldrooster,

The A75 is the DA version of the A-70. The frame is opened up quite a bit to make room for a lot more parts, so that lightened up the frame some. I know that the 9mm & .40 A-75 was offered with an aluminum frame as an option, but I�ve never seen one (doesn�t mean they�re not out there) The .45 ACP is just sized up to accept a bigger hole in the barrel, it�s not too far off of a Glock 36 in the size department, but much heavier, especially if it has a steel frame. The safety on the A-75 works as a decocker, I like it. The DA action is stiff, but not horrible. SA trigger pulls is noticeably stiffer than the A-70�s (it should be noted that the A-70�s & A-75�s were imported by Interarms and European American Armory, and that for some reason the Interarms guns have a better fit and finish, as well as trigger pulls).

Spare magazines are not cheap, running between 30.00-40.00. My Astra A70 fits well into a 1911 holster, but the larger trigger guard of the A-75 precludes a 1911 Holster. I�d look at holsters for the Taurus Millennium Series pistols in .45 ACP for a close fit.

Astra was a quality manufacturer, you can bet it�s a good pistol. By today�s standards its going to be a bit on the heavy side, and understand that should you break a part (quite unlikely), you may have some challenge finding a replacement.

If you get it, let us know how it all works out�I�ve yet to see anyone unhappy with that series of Astra pistol.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I looked at the pistol again this morning. I think we're coming to a meeting of the minds on it. It's even cleaner and lower mileage than I thought after the first look. And it's stainless, not nickel, with polished flats. I believe I'm going to get it. I'm not crazy about the trigger but I have felt worse. DA is pretty good. SA feels kind of long and mushy, almost like a two-stage.

d.
I'd love to see a photo when you get it, I wasn't aware they were ever offered in Stainless.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Kevin,

The scarcity of parts and somewhat pricey magazines are the reason I'm really pushing the seller on the price. The pistol is all stainless and it does have the heft of a steel pistol. But all in all I kinda like it. At first I thought it was a nickel finish but I looked at it carefully again today and I'm sure it's stainless. I was wondering about a holster but you've answered my question. I'll let you know if I get it and post a pic.

Dave

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...I've no expierence with the A75 but my A100 in 45 acp is a great gun. It's accurate and never a hitch with hard ball or conservative hollow points.Astra built some good guns for the $!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,566
Posts18,453,797
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.