Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 30 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 29 30
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Wow, just found this thread.

I cannot believe the generosity of some of the members here.
Kudos to all of you guys. My hat is off to you and I'd be happy to buy a beer for any of you.

Let me go see what I can dig out.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I saw the first 3-4 pages when this first started. Had no idea how far it actually went and the number of people it has touched, not to mention the number involved. I suspect several people have been tapped out with their generocity and I understand that. I'm not real good about continuing to check in on posts like this but when it get's time to get another going I would appreciate if someone would pm me as I'd like to help out. I'm thinking I could find something for a deserving young guy. Good on you all.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm sure there will be somewhere to help out as soon as things get going again. Karnis is doing some stock work for the rifle I'm donating and as soon as it gets back to me then there will be some needs that have to be met. I'll let you know something as soon as we get closer to sending the rifle off.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Cariboujack,

You'll have to back track a few pages to pick up the details but it's getting close for the Rem 788 243 hunting rifle package...

Karnis has the stock set up with a youth LOP and added a rubber buttpad - thanks! Seems a perfectly workable set up and gophergunner has a day pack full of goods ready to go with it! I'll post up some pics when the rifle is back together and ready to go. Thanks again to FOsteology and mistem for their help making this rifle available!

I'm pretty sure we have a candidate for this, just need to sort out the remaining details.... There always room to help and I have ideas - PMs welcome. If folks will keep a look out for this thread, maybe we can have this gear to a new home real soon. OT

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've got a new Leatherman I can throw in. somebody pm me where to send it, if it's time for that part.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Pretty amazing group of guys! This thread has been going for three months, and there are still guys willing to give to help youngsters. Good on all of you.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks Karnis! The 788 243 Win is now wearing a cushy pad and LOP is right at 13". Should be pretty steady in hand, with the 4-12 Bushy it weighs in at 8.5lbs. Sorry for the harsh light on the pics but pretty excited to have it together and ready to move it on! Again, a big thanks to FOsteology and mistem...

Now, I am new to all this and open to input, either here or by PM from the forum. Member joe6555 has referred a young man, Trenton, and we have just a few more details to work out. I'll flat out ask if anyone wants to pitch in for transfer costs and how about some ammo? That, along with the daypack and goods from gophergunner, the rifle and scope package will be pretty cool. Joe might have a sling and maybe Cariboujack would throw in that Leatherman.... Any more ideas folks? OT

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Wow! That caame out nice. Should be a great set up for a young hunter. I have a custom carry strap in the works from a local guy. I will try to get a website or some way to let you see his products. Also, Vortex has donated a pair of binoculars. That company is amazing. I will certainly be buying more of their products in the future.

As far as anything else, I hate to ask as you guys have given so much already. A case would be nice, as would some hearing protection. Any dies,brass and other loading stuff would be great. I don't mind loading for him, but never have had any .243 stuff. Can't really think of anything else.

My first hunting set up was a sporterized Enfield with a Weaver K-4 scope, a pair of "Compac" brand binoculars from Gibson's Discount, and a Scrade knife my mother got for two books of green stamps. I think this young man will be set up a little better, just hope he enjoys his as much as I did/do mine.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice! I can't wait to see the magic Karnis works on the stock for my rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Joe PM me your address and I will get a case ordered up and shipped to you tomorrow.

Matt

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Joe,

You have a PM, case is enroute.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thanks MallardAddict. Looks like the rifle case is covered. This is really turning out great. This forum is awesome!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paul started the good will and we have all just kept it alive. It's still amazes me how much our "spare parts", "junk box" or unused gear can be combined to make something so large for a kid.

Of course the guys posting guns are the biggest part but I've yet to see this forum not step up to get kids hunting or offer parts to get guns fixed and running for other members.

The smiles on the little ones faces in the pics that get posted from these gifts are what life and humanity is all about and makes it all worthwhile.

I'm but a small part of this but proud as hell of what we are doing.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have to put in a plug for Vortex Optics. They donated a pair of 8x32 Diamondback binoculars. Super nice folks over there. I certainly like the Vortex scopes I have, and will likely give them a hard look when I am in the market for optics.

Mallard, you certainly have every right to be proud along with everyone else who has taken part in this wonderful endeavor.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I happen to be in the market for a pair of binos too - I gave away my last pair. Sounds like I'll have to pick up some Vortex binos! cool

We're not done yet either folks - dclayton's nephew still has his day coming, and he's probably spending time with his uncle this month trying out various rifles to determine which one fits him best!

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Matt,

You are right. There are still at least a couple of youngsters still set to receive rifles. I hope this thread can get reenergized. There are so many generous folks on the forum. Seems like maybe the summer doldrums have set in. I just feel so favored to be a part of this.

Vortex is definitely worth looking into. I think they have changed a lot of models, and don't really know what is available anymore. They do put out some nice products, and there customer support is first rate. I have dealt with their parent company-Eagle Optics since the late 80's.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great to hear from you, Matt, and glad you're keeping safe over in AG! Sorry I've been silent for a while. I've spent the last few days with James & his family, and a couple of hunting rifles. He's a pretty hefty kid for 11 years old--stocky almost 120 lbs. Still, the heavier rifles are a little hard on him in off-hand position, ditto the full sized stocks. Of course, with growing kids it's always tricky, since I think his doctor said he could easily grow 3 inches in the next year!

In any case, on Friday I'm going to take him to a couple of hunting stores to shoulder a few more rifles (everything is pretty far from where they're living, so we have to plan it). We've been researching the ones that make the most sense.

Right now he's really gung-ho about the Marlin XS-7--he's a naturally thrifty kid (big families will do that to you! smile ). After me telling him about it being an excellent rifle at a very fair price, and his reading a bit about it, he was like "it's the perfect rifle--lightweight, great accuracy & trigger, and its cheaper than the others!" But we'll see when we get to the store. Right now I think he might go with a 7mm-08 as being lighter kicking and still enough gun for anything on the east coast, but he may ultimately prefer the .308 since his granddad has one (these things matter to boys!).

I've also been explaining the reloading process to him and showing him everything, and in the next few days I'll also start reloading with him. We'll use equipment here at his house (he still doesn't know where it came from, or that it is his--it will be a surprise when he gets everything together!) and components I brought just so that he can see the process. Thanks to all for their generous gifts, and I'll keep you posted on the all-important rifle question!

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us." Jn 1:14

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dclayton,

I think I sent James a RCBS powder measure. I found the large drum and stem here and will be mailing that to him as well.

The X Series Marlins are a very good value. If you can find a Tikka T3 for him to try he may like that as well. The Stevens 200 and the Savage 11's, 12's, and 16's are good too and these all have a lot of aftermarket support if he should turn into a rifle looney like so many of us here.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
dclayton,

I would be proud as punch if he decided on a Marlin - in case you haven't figured it out yet, I have a bit of a soft spot for those! (The .35 Whelen built for me by the Fire was built on a Marlin X7 platform.)

Just to offer another option though, My son Timothy is just the opposite - a fairly small 12 year old. He's about 80 lbs. I had asked my friend who I get all my guns from to order him a Marlin X7Y (youth model - shorter stock) in 7MM-08. They were back-ordered though, so my friend took a chance and ordered a Mossberg Bantam youth in 7MM-08 instead. It has a 20" barrel, is quite accurate and Timothy absolutely loves it. It's his new favorite rifle. It came as a scoped combo, and has a spacer that can be put in the stock later to increase LOP as he grows. The scope is a 3-9X40 - a Bushnell I believe. My budget is significantly higher than the price of either the Marlin or the Mossberg, so we could consider a better optic, maybe a bipod - whatever you think James would like.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nsaqam, you definitely sent him the powder measure, and the large drum and stem would be welcome additions--thanks! And thanks both of you for the other recommendations--we'll be checking them out today. I don't know if they'll have one, but another possibility that seems viable is the Savage Hog Hunter. It comes in .308, has the accutrigger, and a 20" barrel (which is perhaps a bit more manageable without increasing muzzle flash too much). It has a blind magazine but that doesn't seem to bother him...in any case, more news as it develops...
-D

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us." Jn 1:14

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)
Page 25 of 30 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 705 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.