Print Thread
Hop To
H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
At the request from another member, I wanted to post a few pictures on the Mystery Ranch G5000 that arrived this past Monday 3/5. For purposes of only size and not a G5000 vs the 6500, I've stuffed both packs with blankets. They are not loaded to the absolute stitch popping limits.

My reason for purchasing the G5000 was for a Rainer summit next year with my daughter. Wanting to save a few pounds, I elected to not use the 6500. With the spring athletic season starting Monday, I haven't had the chance to take it for a spin. Below are some general photos of the pack.

Traditional top load design with dual draw chords, 2 ice axe loops and center daisy chain. The top lid in the G5000 has a waist belt integrated into it while the 6500 day pack has the traditional shoulder straps. In time, I may eliminate the waist belt to save a few ounces.
[Linked Image]
Maybe it is my OCD, but my biggest bitch with MR is the excessively long straps without providing web keepers. The G5000's side compression straps are slightly different.
[Linked Image]
This view shows the main difference in pack sizes with the girth and frame size in 6500 is clearly larger.
[Linked Image]
As I went back and forth between the Glacier and G5000, the one item that was mentioned was the lumbar pad in the G5000. The lumbar pad in the G5000 was described as more plush than other packs. For me the jury is still out as I haven't had the chance to put the pack to work.
[Linked Image]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
BP-B2

B
B
Thanks for the photo's huntem, I really appreciate it! It sure looks like a great pack.

Barry

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I am thinking about the 5000 for the fiancee. Kifaru has the same problem with the straps. I am going to be putting the velcro keepers on myself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 5000 is the only remaining MR pack in the stable. I really like it's ride and size for a day or two/three in the woods. It's bombproof and not as heavy as the Grizzly or NICE system that I had to compare it to. I carried out a boned-out whitetail deer from the Georgia mountains quite handily with the G5000.
Don

H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by docdb
My 5000 is the only remaining MR pack in the stable. I really like it's ride and size for a day or two/three in the woods. It's bombproof and not as heavy as the Grizzly or NICE system that I had to compare it to. I carried out a boned-out whitetail deer from the Georgia mountains quite handily with the G5000.
Don

I agree with you Don. The G5000 is a great alternative in size/weight and price compared to the NICE frame bags or the Grizzly/Tactiplane. If a person did not use the MOLLE webbing, the G5000 is a great choice to save a few $$.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
As a big game hunting pack, there is no contest, IMO and the NICE system is the best for that use that I have ever tried/owned. The 6500 and 7500 bags on the NICE frame are simply superb and I can carry more weight in comfort with them, than any other pack I have used.

They ARE needlessly heavy for hiking/climbing and the G-series packs and McHales are better in that regard. so, I would choose between them based on what my major uses are going to be.

I just sold my MR BDSB, the forerunner of the Kodiak and my minty Dana-Bozeman Astralplane as I never used them as I have two complete NICE systems. Mine are the 6500 and the Wolf Alpha pack bag which are my choice as "most useful" for a hunter of my age. I would get a 7500 bag, unavailable when I bought my 6500 for the best possible combo, if I were younger and more inclined to longer trips alone than I am now.

MR packs are the best available and the customer service is simply outstanding. I have had about a dozen packs from Dana-MR and they were all simply outstanding.

H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by kutenay
As a big game hunting pack, there is no contest, IMO and the NICE system is the best for that use that I have ever tried/owned. The 6500 and 7500 bags on the NICE frame are simply superb and I can carry more weight in comfort with them, than any other pack I have used.

They ARE needlessly heavy for hiking/climbing and the G-series packs and McHales are better in that regard. so, I would choose between them based on what my major uses are going to be.

Very true kutenay. Heavy hauling warrants the extra beef that comes with the NICE system. Like you mentioned, my reason for picking up the G5000 is for backpacking. If anyone has a specific question feel free to ask.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Several years ago I was in the market for a new backpack, I contacted Mystery Ranch and they suggested that I get Kodiak instead of the nice frame system due to the fact that I would be backpacking 80% of the time and meat hauling 20% of the time or less.

I don't regret the purchase at all. Super comfortable / durable and 100% made in USA

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
can you get the MR packs in the optifade camo as pictured?

Last edited by Jdogg; 03/11/12.

Psalm 18:34 ->>---->
He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Jdogg,

The short of a long story is the supplier for the optifade fabric was not real consistent with the colors in the fabric. At this point, they are looking for another supplier but probably won't be for a long time. I have a couple packs in optifade and they are ever so slightly different.

I know that they have a few pieces left in inventory of the optifade packs. They are not on the website. I would give them a call.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (12308300, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.