Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I've always disdained the Russian Mosin Nagant rifles. They are plain ugly, awkward, cruedd and just not attractive (to say the least). I've been collecting WW2 era rifles for the past 10+ years and always turned my back on Mosins, I met a friend several months ago who shoots Mosin's in competition and I joined him, I've bought 2 Mosins and in dis-assembling them for cleaning, I've found a new respect.

They are well made, and very practical for their intended purpose. For a peasant army (think 1890's Russia), they are virtually indestructible, easy to dis-assemble for cleaning and fool proof to re-assemble. As for accuracy, I can easily keep all my shots on a man sized target at 300+ yards.

My only regret is that I did not discover them 20 years ago when they were less expensive. I've got a number of German, Yugo, Swiss, Austrian, etc. WW2 rifles, and I'm glad to add these to my collection.

What are your WW2 rifle experiences?

Last edited by djs; 03/17/12.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Like you, I find the Mosin Nagant's to be ugly, awkward, crude and unattractive. I agree that they were just what Dr. Zhivago ordered for the russian peasant army.

The Finnish M-39 is a much better built rifle, while still Mosinesque, and as accurate as all get out.

I am a fan of the 8x57 cartridge and the K98k Mauser, but if I were to be zapped back in time and had to hump a bolt action rifle in WWII, I'd be hoping to end up with a No.4 Mk1 Enfield. With a 10 shot magazine capacity and a properly mounted Peep sight, I'd much rather work with that, than a Mauser, Mosin or Arisaka.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was all so young, about 1961, my dad got the great Idea that I should learn to shoot, so dad being dad, never owned a gun or did any kind of hunting or shooting for that matter, bought me a Marlin Bolt 22 and a Mosin Nagant that came out of the armory in 1938. I still have both guns. The thing with the Mosins is that all they need is a little TLC. The Finn's rebuilt captured rifles and they are good ones. Mine is a carbine version. I would like to get a full sized one complete with a 3x PU scope and use it for deer hunting old gun style. Remington- Westinghouse made a bunch of them for the Czars Army during World War I and didn't deliver a bunch after the October 1917 Revolution. There were a lot of them around. I think Dad paid all of 8 dollars for mine, I know it was not much. its a fond memory of my youth. I even killed my first deer with that rifle, and it was only a few months after I got it, we didn't have a whole lot of deer around then. Snuck out Saturday while dad was giving my brother some lessons, I didn't expect to see anything and well this deer came by and I just brought the rifle up lined up the sights and well next thing I know I got this deer on the ground, and now what. My father didn't know what to do either, so he called my Uncle Felix , he was one of my mothers brothers and he took care of it and had me drink a shot, and put a tab of blood on my forehead and told me things would be different from now on. My that was 51 years ago. It would be a good 10 years before I would shoot my second deer in VT. One of the reasons I love 24 hr Campfire, I get to think about the days of my youth. In 67 months from that shot, dad would pass on. I was 12 and a 7 months at the time. The rest of the country was in a real crap fest in 1967 pretty much like the current crap fest. I'm just a whole lot older and maybe a little wiser.

Last edited by gmsemel; 03/17/12.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Never cared for the safety on a Mosin Nagant.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've owned a couple M-Ns, one a rifle the other a carbine. They are well built and reliable, and ugly and accurate. The carbine was decidedly unpleasant to shoot. I could shoot 5" at 100 yards, which isn't stellar, but was about as accurate as I can shoot with open irons.

The safety is reliable, and remindes me of a safety on a .22.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Jericho
Never cared for the safety on a Mosin Nagant.

It is a pain for sure. I don't use it. I just carry with a cold chamber.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I could only imagine working the safety on an MN on a cold
winter day on the Russian Front. I still think they are neat
rifles, never owned one though.

D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Gene L
I've owned a couple M-Ns, one a rifle the other a carbine. They are well built and reliable, and ugly and accurate. The carbine was decidedly unpleasant to shoot. I could shoot 5" at 100 yards, which isn't stellar, but was about as accurate as I can shoot with open irons.

The safety is reliable, and remindes me of a safety on a .22.

You know, 5" for a combat rifle is not too bad; that's 10" at 200 yards. Assuming that under most combat situations, the enemy would be running or moving when exposed, a 200 yard shot is about all that could be made and a 10" group would probably hit him.

Sure, a more accuracy is not a detriment, but how much is sufficient under combat conditions? I worked with several WW2 paratroopers 55 years ago and one told me that he rarely took shots at over 200 yards.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought one and put a PU scope on it. ackward to shoot but fun.

Terry

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Way,way under rated cartridge. look at the numbers it carries.

Mine have always shot well, if not trashed by time, and the Finn renditions , much more so. Better than some of my GI examples.

My feeling is the Horizontal bolt lock up is symetrical, balanced and helping a great deal for ballistic uniformity.

Michael

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The Hornady #8 manual has an excellent write-up on the M-N. The rifles built for Russia by Remington, Winchester, and Westinghouse had .312" groove diameters. The rifles built by Finland had standard American .300"-.308" bore/groove diameters. Hornady shows data for both bullet sizes.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I agree wth you about the peep sight on the reciever. My favorite is my Springfield 03A3 made by Smith Corona.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I know a couple of guys that are always on the look out for
Finnish MNs when they go to pawnshops and gunshows.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wtf? Can't you boys post up no pics?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some years back during my C&R days I picked up three; two carbines and an M39. The carbines were a bit snappy in recoil and good for perhaps 4" at 100 yds. The M39 was pretty decent, 1.5" at 100. Toyed with the idea of slugging the bore on the 39 and handloading for it, and is showed promise using com bloc ammo

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Like you, I find the Mosin Nagant's to be ugly, awkward, crude and unattractive. I agree that they were just what Dr. Zhivago ordered for the russian peasant army.

The Finnish M-39 is a much better built rifle, while still Mosinesque, and as accurate as all get out.

I am a fan of the 8x57 cartridge and the K98k Mauser, but if I were to be zapped back in time and had to hump a bolt action rifle in WWII, I'd be hoping to end up with a No.4 Mk1 Enfield. With a 10 shot magazine capacity and a properly mounted Peep sight, I'd much rather work with that, than a Mauser, Mosin or Arisaka.

ihave a friend in germany that was/is a sniper for the german army. He is quite familar with rifles. Shoots a lot of competition in germany with a model of 1917 winchester. I asked him about k98 mausers, you would think they would shoot those. He said they prefered the model of 1917, a springfield, or a good enfield because they just shot better. I at one time kind of looked down on the enfields, until i finally clued on how really good they were

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Borealis Bob
Some years back during my C&R days I picked up three; two carbines and an M39. The carbines were a bit snappy in recoil and good for perhaps 4" at 100 yds. The M39 was pretty decent, 1.5" at 100. Toyed with the idea of slugging the bore on the 39 and handloading for it, and is showed promise using com bloc ammo

I got my first finnish mosin quite a few years ago. The finns used captured hex recievers and to some extent through the rest of the russian gun away. Free floated, adjustible front sight, and a sako barrel in my case.
I took it out of the box, cleaned the cosmo out of the barrel/chamber, and was sitting on the tail gate of my truck. Loaded in some russian mil/surp, and was looking at a one gallon folgers red coffee can at about 100yards. Offhand hit it 5 out of 5. the carbines are quite a kick to shoot.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the Peterson tactical magazines had a report on a sniping contest held in Europe where one successful contestant used a Mosin Nagant chambered in 300 Win Mag.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
...ugly, awkward, ... and unattractive...

Not to steal the thread, but we could head off into the land of Ruger #3s now. blush

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have my Dad's sporterized M1917 Eddystone that is a shooter!

Also, I have owned a 1955 edition of the Polish M/N Carbine that was unfired when I got it. With surplus ammo it would shoot 2MOA consistently, with one lot of Russian 174gr it was an honest 1.5MOA gun.

It didn't care too much for the Chinese 123gr stuff that I found once.

My $0.02

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.