Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Really secure water to your backpack. I made it ~ 2/3 up them moutain with 6L of water on a high country mule deer hunt where water would be an issue. Very disappointing to take the pack off at the end of the brutal hike and realize our for-sure water source was gone. No idea how I didn't hear that thud. Scraped old snow off the ground in the shade on the north slopes for drinking water - lots of extra grit and work required. Not recommended.

When the oil service truck driver that runs the soggy forest service road everyday tells you to bring out your chains, you really need to put them on(make sure you have a set). Things are about to get ugly on the road and 4WD won't save you.

When the lines are close on the topo map, the terrain is steep. Hunting new units every year to date, my scouting is done primarily from afar. The initial hike in always sucks as I relearn map reading 101. The silver lining is I usually don't see other (idiots) hunting near me.

BP-B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Bring both boots.

a .270 and a .280 are not interchangable no matter how far you have driven or hiked.

Make sure any connectors needed for anything are actually there, especially gas stoves.

When your cheap azz range finder starts to slide off of a rock and over a steep cliff a 20foot fall is not worth saving it.

When you do chase your range finder over the cliff a loaded Kifaru pack does a great job at cushioning your fall, plus its comforting to know you can still eat lunch when it takes you three hours to figure out a way back up the cliff.

Check your emergency baby wipes to make sure they are not dehydrated.

Dont eat a whole bunch of mountain house meals without drinking a ton of water, your colon will thank you later.

Sleeping like a burrito in a tight bivy tent sucks.

Surgical gloves left in the pack for a year or two will totally shred when you pull them on.

Pigs may not actually be dead despite not moving for several minutes, they might just be saving themselves until you pull out the camera and grab the head to pose them.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

I
I
Dont leave your clip at home (that second shot you wont get could miss you your best muley to date)

Learn to shoot on steep uphill/downhill (the first shot might not go over the back of said "best muley to date")

Dont forget your raingear when hunting the West Coast

Check for cactus around "groin" level when gettin prone for shot

If your goto knife has a camo handle, dont put it down in the dark

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Don't hold on to a hemlock for stability when taking a dump in steep terrain. The sap superglues the toilet paper to hour hand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remember to take your rifle with you on your pre-daylight hike in to your stand site carrying all your gear. It is a critical piece of gear and won't work left back in the car.

Also, breathable raingear doesn't.........breath that is. At least not on a 2 mile hike UP the mountain. It will rain INSIDE the raingear.

Don't pee right where you're getting ready to sit on the ground. Yeah, I know, Duh...

Last edited by snubbie; 03/19/12.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't Guesstimate yardage on the only elk you have seen all day, take the extra 2.5 seconds, pull rangefinder out, and use it! Just sayin...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Helps to read this thread where others are as brilliant as I am. Like last year where I liked twenty miles into a glacier and found the only canister I carried for my stove was empty. Another time I drove two days to my hunting grounds to find I forgot..... the tent? still dont know how that happened. This year I shot a caribou and pulled out my game saw to find out it was missing a bolt to hold the blade on and wouldnt work. Thankfully I had a small sawblade on my skinner that I managed to use. Never have forgot the TP though. Some things are just to important to forget...

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
This thread has been a fun one for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sollybug
Helps to read this thread where others are as brilliant as I am. Like last year where I liked twenty miles into a glacier and found the only canister I carried for my stove was empty. Another time I drove two days to my hunting grounds to find I forgot..... the tent? still dont know how that happened. This year I shot a caribou and pulled out my game saw to find out it was missing a bolt to hold the blade on and wouldnt work. Thankfully I had a small sawblade on my skinner that I managed to use. Never have forgot the TP though. Some things are just to important to forget...

Back in the early 70's my brother and I packed into Icicle Creek and after struggling the entire day from the old Homestead Lodge at the end of Eagle River Road - where the visitor center now sits - to a little shelf in the alders right alongside upper Icicle Creek, and we discovered that my brother had forgot to tie his sleeping bag to the bottom of his packframe. Even still, we toughed it out for 16 days while trying to kill a couple of B&C rams that were hanging in the cliffs above Icicle Glacier.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don't buy the mittens that have the little magnets that hold the finger flaps back just because they are quieter than the velcro ones. It turns out that while handheld GPS units use satellites to determine your location, they evidently are equipped with magnetic compasses to determine your direction. I was not aware of this. Knowing your exact location on earth without knowing which way is which is a very special way to get lost. I figured it out about the time the sun came up. Later that day, after the sun went down, I learned that my GPS unit's compass, much like a regular compass, also doesn't work properly if you hold it out in front of you pointing up. Like when the batteries get low so the backlight shuts off to conserve power so you hold it up high in front of your headlamp which is partially obscurred by the bill of your ball cap which you put on to keep the snow out your eyes. Long day. Moral of the story is that it's ok to trust your GPS, just know its limitations. And make sure you choose a hunting partner that is good with directions.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunter_241
During archery season dont leave your sidearm at camp, no matter how heavy it is.

I only did this twice in a 20 year span and as luck would have it, I ran into a bear both times, the second one got the point across REAL well, it was a grizzly at 15 feet.

I cannot agree more. Same thing happened to me. Now I never leave camp without it, not even for number two at night. Last time I got bluff charged

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Snubbie Said: "Don't butcher your deer in the field, put in game bags, put game bags in PLASTIC bags to keep pack clean, then seal it all tightly while hiking out, then load closed pack in car and drive home...

...without first cooling the meat and/or taking the meat out of the pack upon arrival at the car.

I now keep a cooler in the car when hunting. Also probably a good idea to bypass the plastic bag and just wash the pack out later, especially if it's warm. Don't seal up that heat!"

Excellent advice Snubbie!

Last edited by AB2506; 03/22/12.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
When you decide at the last moment to take your partner's vehicle instead of yours, along with all your other "stuff" it's best to remember your rifle.Figuring this out a few hours later upon exiting said partner's truck (opening morning) is less helpful!
Remembering "lots" of TP is better than sacrificing large chunks of your tshirt (which is always noticed by your partner back at camp).

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.