-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Im redoing my hickory floors in my home and not doing any stain. Would you all recommend and oil based finish or a water based finish?

We have a kid on the way in 2 weeks and we have a 2 year old dog so I want something tough and that looks good

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
wood hell, TILE wink

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
spar varnish

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
huntsonora,
I've been refinishing floors part time for 40 years or so. Given the choice, I always opt for oil. It lasts longer, brings out the grain of the wood. Water based finishes tend to look a bit painted-on when dry.

Remember, oil cannot be applied over latex, but latex can be used over oil. A light sanding will prepare your surface, either way.
Jim

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jim is forgetting two important things, IMO&E. Oils will outgas for quite some time... I would not want to bring a new-born home to a freshly-oiled floor.

Water-based is the only real option, at this point. And there is also the fact water-based finishes have plenty of VOCs in them that will outgas after the water leaves, but the total load is significantly reduced. I would also ventilate constantly for as long as practical.

I personally prefer the look of the clearer, non-yellowing water-based finishes. Our hickory floor is all 4" and 5" wide boards up to 14' long. We used Diamondthane floor finish and it has been used hard for over 10 years and will not need anything for quite a long time...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Oil based polyurethane.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I prefer oil finish

You can shear a sheep many times.But you can only skin him once!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Oil based polyurethane.

+1

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I refinished an Oak floor in my first home many years ago. It was a huge job but the results were worth the effort. I went with a semigloss Polyurethane and loved it. It was tough and lasted for a long time. I don't know what to think with the kid issue but oil will give you a better looking product.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
spar varnish

Not a good idea, WAY too soft. Good for doors though, you don't have to move out of your house to refinish doors.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's one called Zar that's fantastic, can be rolled or sprayed, I used an airless and it came out like satin glass.

The major difference between belief and fact is those who believe something have come to a conclusion no facts will contradict. Well informed people are open to new facts that oppose their beliefs. That also defines an open and closed mind.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Zar is an old name in the buisness, they always made a good product. I've been in the buisness a very long time, but still, I'm only offering opinion, not advice. Most poly's are not intended for floors, their finish is perfect for trim, etc., but not always hard enough for floors. An oil base poly will put a nicer color into wood than water based, for that reason alone, I prefer it. It brings out the natural colors, as opposed to staining, and it will add a nice patina over the years, where as the water base does not seem to. I have sometimes, due to time constraints, used oil on a door for the first coat to get the color desired, then 2nd coated, after sanding, with the water poly with good results. All of this aside, I would look into Gym Seal or something similar, it is made specifically for the application. Yes, a respirator is highly recommended, but you should use one with the oil poly also. Specifically, since you mention having a dog,
you're going to need a tough coat, a dogs nails will ruin a hardwood floor faster than any human traffic. Sometimes you have to weigh one option against another, depending on your time constraints and circumstances, good luck!

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The oil-based finishes are not as tough as the water-based...

Oil will be out-gassing significantly more VOCs for considerably longer...

If color is critical a tiny bit of light yellow wash may be added... or any other tint.

Home-owner applied finishes are not nearly as good as some available commercially, but the available oil finishes are way behind the water-based stuff for tough...

A little finesse will allow any desired "look" from the waterbase floor finishes with far less effort...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the responses! I really appreciate them! I ended up going with a an oil based polyurethane finish from Bona. I think it will look great. We will be out of the house for a week while it cures.

I'll post some pictures when I'm done

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,193
Posts18,465,845
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.