Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
b, Great pics! Chapped, I'm not sure what you mean, I've heard a few folks mention fisheye when the eye relief wasn't correct. Is this what you are referring too?
Chapped, I sent a couple of the P-223 3X scopes to some friends who are competitive shooters get their opinion. I'll post their results as they come in.

Gun, glad to hear you were able to take advantage of the free mount Promo.!

Bart

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bart.....i believe the correct term (old style) is parallax......but "fisheye" seems to be the term nowadays......must be a zombie thing.
What i have observed in two 30mm 1-4x24 from 2 diff scope suppliers (both priced under $500) at the 1x setting is movement of the reticle or background depending if the unmounted scope is moved or if the shooter's head is moved. At 4x the movement is just slightly noticeable around the outer edge of image viewing. More precise eyepiece adjusting appears to lessen the problem but it is still very noticeable.
That is what prompted me to ask the question......maybe the competitive shooters you referred to will give some feedback.
This may be a price range "thing"......maybe $800 to $1200 scopes of this power range do not exhibit this problem. I live in a small community now and don't have access to major stores to compare other models.

I attempted to order the 3x32 from SWFA but they have not received any from Nikon yet.....(when did this promotion start?)......but SWFA is accepting backorders.
So i have a "ticket".
Thanx for any input.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
FYI parallax and fisheye are two different things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisheye_lens

I got to shoot one of my friends 20" RRA M4 AR-15's sporting a Nikon 3-12x Model 8489 AR-15 scope and matching mount, and I was SOLD. I'm saving up for one, but I'm not sure if I want the 2-8x or 3-12x. -TomT

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanx,TomT,for the info.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CBMJR
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I have to wonder about these things. If a Night Force 1-4 costs $1200 and this scope costs $300 with a mount, why do people still buy the NF scopes? They must be crazy.

They are not even close in quality.

Have you compared them side by side? Just curious.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dont need to. The Nightforce is on a whole different level than the Nikon. They are just not comparable.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Your welcome chapped lips (great name btw).

I didnt know about Nightforce scopes, but now that I checked out their web site, I'm interested, but I think like Zeiss & Leica optics, they are unfortunately above my pay grade (especially with 2 of my 3 kids in college). IF I was using a AR in a situation where my life depended on it, the cost would be secondary, the BEST would be primary.
Btw, a BIG thank you to all our Military people that put their lives on the line so we can live like Americans!!!!!! -TomT

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
what model NF scope do you have? I am interested!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dont own any Nightforce scope right now. I also dont own a Accuracy International. But I can tell you its a much better built rifle than any Remington, Ruger, or Savage. Not that they arent good though.
The Difference between the nikon m223 and Nightforce is not just price. With the Nightforce you get:
more reticle choices
30mm tube
mil/mil option
zero stop
much better glass
much better build quality
Nightforces track record for some of the toughest optics ever.

Many people would never notice these diffences but some do and are willing to pay for the better quality scope. Just like I would never buy a high end sports car, but I wont say a mustang is the same thing for less money. Im not knocking the Nikon, but it is what it is.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nightforce is bullet proof. They are very different scopes not a fair comparison. Its like comparing a race car to a stock street car. You get what you pay for. I have several Nightforce and they are worth every penny. At the same time you don't always need top shelf.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The NF compacts have their own fault's. Good glass but far from ideal.

Terry

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CBMJR
I dont own any Nightforce scope right now. I also dont own a Accuracy International. But I can tell you its a much better built rifle than any Remington, Ruger, or Savage. Not that they arent good though.
The Difference between the nikon m223 and Nightforce is not just price. With the Nightforce you get:
more reticle choices
30mm tube
mil/mil option
zero stop
much better glass
much better build quality
Nightforces track record for some of the toughest optics ever.

Many people would never notice these diffences but some do and are willing to pay for the better quality scope. Just like I would never buy a high end sports car, but I wont say a mustang is the same thing for less money. Im not knocking the Nikon, but it is what it is.

so you read it on the internet somewhere but don't personally really don't know anything about it at all! Just FYI I have a NF 1-4NXS scope and am buying a Nikon scope this Friday. I will report back with some actual facts. Like Terry said the NF compacts are not perfect. It usually best to ask questions more than post comments if you have "read it on the internet" but actually don't own it or have not personally reviewed it. Just sayin....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Meh, nevermind. Not worth it.

Last edited by CBMJR; 03/29/12.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am sorry if I offended you.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I doubt you offended anybody.

Sometimes you have to call BS.

It should happen more often.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp

I dont get offended. I just dont care enough to enlighten you.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wow, just wow...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am un-enlightenable.

I got a Nikon 223 2-8 x 32 on loan from a bud and will check it out.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
grin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
jimmyp, interested in your results. A buddy has me talked into a Nightforce with Velocity reticles but my pocketbook is screaming!! I am a Leupold fan right now but like the idea of all the Nightforce options.

Thanks

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (B52RadarNav, 35, Ashworth, Bigd7378, 11 invisible), 1,419 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,260
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.