GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What....no one gonna bite?

Yup.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Im not fighting I am looking for a new rifle and I want a quality rifle.

Model 7's FOR LIFE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok. Was rather rude of me. Im sorry.

Check gun broker for prices. Id say average is $1050. Seen them sell from $800-$1200, depending on caliber. Keep your eyes open and you can find one for a decent price.

I like my 243. Wouldnt trade it for anything....tho initially it wouldnt feed very well.

You seem to love the Model 7 so why not stick with that?

Last edited by AKduck; 03/27/12.

Yup.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kbruce
Why are they popular? Thanks Konnner

Lite done right.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They run about $1000 new for the Montana version maybe a bit more maybe a bit less.
The Montana is their synthetic stock version.
They are popular around here at the 'Fire as they are very light and have great handling characteristics.
There has been many reports of inaccuracy with them but these are difficult to verify although I believe some who report it. Many folks have several of them and have never gotten a bad one.

If they made them in left hand it would be my choice but they do not.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know how old you are, but the money could go to something more worth your while. If you have a job, start yourself a Roth IRA and save toward an early retirement. You'll never miss the money.

Hunt with a rifle you have, unless there are glaring safety issues. Learn to hunt and worry about the gun later. If you must buy a new rifle, I'd suggest getting something economical-yet-upgradeable. This way, you can spend a little on it here and there and keep the spice in your relationship with it.

Just my $.02. I put myself in a hole as a young guy with consumer debt issues and believe me, nothing is better than financial freedom.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Appreciate the financial advise.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As for the original questions, Kimbers are popular because they have most of the standard upgrades that people do on regular factory rifles. Most people take a stock factory rifle and will eventually stock it in nice wood or go the lightweight route. Same concept as their 1911 line. Take something people like and build it from the factory with the most common upgrades and sell for a price people can afford.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Appreciate the financial advise.

I don't mean to get real soap-boxy, but I got into a brain warp where I chased "perfect" rifles around until I realized that the limiting factor in any of my hunts was not the rifle.

Thousands of dollars wasted that could have paid off a vehicle, bought a house, enhanced a retirement account, bought stock, or any amount of things. I know that people need to enjoy themselves and buying a rifle is enjoyable. Just don't go overboard or get into the mindset that there is a silver bullet solution to any hunting situation. If there is, its probably internal and not something you can throw money at.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What do these run. Why are they popular? Thanks Konnner

I paid $1050 plus state fees for the 84L Montana in .30-06.

$850 is a pretty good price for used. I suppose $1200 isn't out of reason if you want a particular chambering.

They are a lightweight rifle that has some of the features of a Model 70 Winchester [controlled feed and three position safety]It also shares some some of the features of a Remington [cylinder receiver, etc]. The trigger is more Remington than classical Model 70.

They are designed to be as light as reasonable and are cartridge family specific in most cases.

While I have a stunningly accurate Model 70 SS FW [It has the Tupperware "All Terrain" stock]it comes in at over 8lbs all up. By the time I put a McMillan Compact Edge on it and buy and fit the various parts needed to go to a blind magazine I would be into it another $750. It might weigh 7.5 lbs then.

The Montana, even with iron sights will weigh less than 6.5 lbs
and I still have the Model 70.

With the Montana, I relly don't need to do anything. I have already scoped and shot it. It shoots well enough but nothing stunning with my factory duplication Core-Lokt load. Much better with some NPT and Hornady Interlock handloads-a W.I.P. but I am satisfied with the accuracy.

I will have it skim bedded [at Brads suggestion], have it cut and crowned at 22in and put iron sights on it [when they get here from NECG]. Until they get here I take it to the range every couple of weeks and shoot it.

It manges recoil very well, feeds and functions well and the triggfer was exceptional. I haven't touched it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

4.5 in the 40. Popular because they have a gray stock.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You got almost everything right with this post but you missed one question mark and I really don't think your parents spell your name with three N's. grin

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257heaven

4.5 in the 40. Popular because they have a gray stock.

Laffin'. Thanks for that.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have Montanas in .257 Roberts and 300 WSM. Couldn't be more pleased with either. Both are light, accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

I reload and have found both to be less than MOA with 100 gr and 180 gr respectively. I don't need anything better than that, except that I did have Melvin Forbes build me a 7x57 out of a Colt Light Rifle that I am pretty fond of.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by nsaqam

You got almost everything right with this post but you missed one question mark and I really don't think your parents spell your name with three N's. grin
Fixed Thanks. Laffin

Model 7's FOR LIFE
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just an FYI.I ask some unnecessary questions at times but it is always better to google first.Sometimes I read for days and then try to only ask specific questions that I have afterwards.

It's all just for fun but you will get more respect finding the simple answers for yourself.

BTW my next purchase will be a Kimber Montana in 257 Roberts or a 260 if I run up on one after I horde away the cash.

My advice on the financial aspect is to alot a small portion of income to the play fund to be spent on anything hobby related and "only" use that.I decided years ago I would give up my $7.00 a day lunch money for the gun fund.I was getting too fat anyway and it adds up in a year.
I see a lot of my friends complain that they can't afford as nice a rifle as me when they smoke or dip that money every day.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Same. Best money on a gun Ive spent. Took awhile to warm up to....but once it did, my Kimber is the one gun in the safe that hasnt been considered for sale.

Yup.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Im not fighting I am looking for a new rifle and I want a quality rifle.

I have a set of Leupold WA bases since you swing that way....literally. Post a pic of you measuring the twist on your new Kimber here along with your address and I'll mail them to you.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
why do i like my Kimber? cause its light yet balances well(in my hands atleast)...why does the light weight matter? cause i hunt on my feet, i dont hunt from a stand or blind.....alot of ppl will say get to exercizing a pound off your middle means more than a pound off your rifle and they are right except for one thing......

take an extra pound of weight and put it in your pack, few of us outside the extreme mountain back pack hunters are gonna notice.....take the extra pound and tape it to your rifle and throw your rifle over your shoulder on a sling, all of us would notice but it would slow few down......however if yah take that extra pound and put it in your hand you will notice it fast, if your hunting on your feet in brushy, broken or timber country and you are best served with your rifle being in your hand and not on your shoulder......

this is why the flyweight rifles like Kimber or NULA make alot of sence, if you want to keep the rifle in your hands as much as possible when you hunt....is it needed? no but it sure helps keeping your arms from fatiguing so fast....

take a hell of alot of money to get my 84M in 260 from me....

Last edited by rattler; 03/28/12.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,815 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,599
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.