-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Did you use the 300 gr Sierra Match King for those calculations? That or a Berger would be the preferred bullet of long range hunters.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
500g, if YOU can afford elephants, then YOU can afford Quickload.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I missed what the elephant and Quickload reference has to do with the 300 gr Sierra question, Clark?

You presented a valid set of assumptions, but as par for the course, framed them to fit YOUR assumed needs/wants/proof requirements...apples and avocadoes. They are both mighty tasty, but don't belong in the same bowl at the same time.

But you know what ASSUME's do, they make an AZZ outa U and ME...ASS/U/ME. frown NO FLAME OR DISS INTENDED.

EVRYONE does it, EVERYTIME they build/buy a rifle for a specific purpose(or talk about them) and NO ONE AGREES wholeheartedly on every point, that's why we have so many excellent rifles, bullets and shooting accoutrements AND opinions.

My 7mmRM likes that particular bullet, but even more, liked the ealier discontinued Nosler Solid Based bullet, I only have 27 left and I hoard them like diamonds...BUT, it likes the old 175 gr Sierra MK MUCH better for target and long rang work...I haven't tried the newer 180 gr or any Bergers in that rifle so I can't comment on the grouping OR killing...but I never had ANY problem taking game with either the SB or the MK at least to ~600-700yds for the 175.

Contrary to some popular beliefs, the Sierra MK's kill at long range as well as probably any other bullet...NO bullet at extreme ranges produces "spectacular" kills...not many "bang, flops" or knock'um down, skin'um, butcher'um and wrap'um up...an not a lot of expansion either.

Besides you left out one IMPORTANT FACT...the 250 gr bullet has MUCH MORE energy at the ranges you specify than the 150 gr does. Not withstanding all the happy HS floating around about "killing power" and no one agreeing on what the HE** that is...larger, heavier bullets will do the job much better than the smaller, ligher bullets as the game gets bigger and bigger otherwise we would be plugging ele/buff with 22 LR's...plug that information into your QT and see what happens.

Way back in the olden days I was a total speed freak, following the pied piper, totally oblivious to anything else. Today I'm not much different with the smaller, "varminting" cals...but once the game gets up to deer size and above I want larger cals and heavier, slower bullets...not REAL slow you understand, I like to eat what I kill and while a hi-velo, light weight bullet might kill "spectacularly", it sure the heck ruins a whole lot of chewing stuff. I want to eat right up to the hole, not blow off a shoulder.

While I think all the software programs produce excellent data, I really like my QL and QT and all the other software programs I've used over these long years, that data must be used correctly to mean anything.

Paper data is only ONE part of the equation, and it can lie, cheat and steal like the best of them.

It always boils down to YOUR/MINE/THEIR requirements, as to which and what is important. Whatever you're/my/their requirements are, it is of little or no importance in the scheme of things EXCEPT to YOU the moment you pull the trigger...after that, it us just a memory. cool grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NFG
I missed what the elephant and Quickload reference has to do with the 300 gr Sierra question, Clark?

500g has a few articles he wrote for gun rags about shooting elephants. He uses the internet to rib me about being a cheapskate. I was trying to mount a counter attack on HIS buying habits.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm....I seeeee...."boys will be boys" said the blind man to the deaf mute.

What come out of the internet and forums never ceases to amaze me. Hahahahahah

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice Stick. A lot of punch and accuracy for not a lot of money. What's not to like

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've played with one, and am sorely tempted. Was basically plinking at 800 yards. Almost too much fun to be legal...

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1941USMC, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,308
Posts18,468,178
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.