Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've read several folks using the 155 scenar in their .308s for hunting purposes. Seems like a great little bullet, but apprehensive about using a "target" bullet for hunting purposes. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of using this bullet on actual game. I would mainly be using this on dall sheep, deer, and caribou.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
155 scenar out of my .30-06 at about 140 yards....seems to work ok.

[Linked Image]

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get in touch with scenarshooter here at the Campfire.

Pat has killed a bunch of big critters with the 155 scenar and can give you all the good info.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have very limited experience with it but gave it a go in my 300 WSM after chatting with Scenar about it. They shoot into tiny lil bug holes in my light weight .300 and last fall I took a elk in the timber and a whitey buck up close and it did quite fine on both of those.

For what you're thinking I'd sure not shy away from them. Heck I can't think of much I'd not use them on.

I'd say light the torch to them!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4977783/3

Due to evidence in the above link... they'll never work, results are iffy at best grin

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I killed an elk with the 155 Scenar out of a custom 30-06 last year. 388yard high shoulder shot, elk dropped at the spot and there was a very nice exit hole. I have a GAP rifle in 308 that should arrive soon and I plan to use that bullet exclusively out of it. Darn fine bullet, and as Dober says, is super easy to shoot bugholes with them.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
How come it is Scenar and Berger "match" bullets are okay for hunting, but Sierra "match" bullets (SMK's) are often scorned?...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sactoller
155 scenar out of my .30-06 at about 140 yards....seems to work ok.

[Linked Image]

Are you sure you hit him?

grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
How come it is Scenar and Berger "match" bullets are okay for hunting, but Sierra "match" bullets (SMK's) are often scorned?...

Ive taken a bunch of deer with smk's . It is simply beyond the realm of physics to believe that flesh and bone would be impervious to metal.End of story.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Pat has killed a bunch of big critters with the 155 scenar and can give you all the good info.

I'm hoping Pat chimes in with some good pics and data like he usually does. It really seems to get the job done for him. I've actually been interested in the combo too. I was going to give up on the 308 win a while back but after getting a new rifle today, maybe I'll change my mind..... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I have very limited experience with it but gave it a go in my 300 WSM after chatting with Scenar about it. They shoot into tiny lil bug holes in my light weight .300 and last fall I took a elk in the timber and a whitey buck up close and it did quite fine on both of those.

For what you're thinking I'd sure not shy away from them. Heck I can't think of much I'd not use them on.

Dober

I didn't know you shot an elk with one last season......I guess I better pay more attention.... blush

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys I'll order some up. Pretty sure I won't use em on grizzlies but if they shoot good I might even use em on moose

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Thanks guys I'll order some up. Pretty sure I won't use me on grizzlies but if they shoot good I might even use em on moose

Let us know how they work for you....

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Post mortem description please!

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA-

A new 308?? Do tell...

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I would not use a 155 Scenar for anything but targets. I have no experience with them on game so I am qualified to make the aforementioned statement thanks to the school of JO et al.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tdn
BSA-

A new 308?? Do tell...

Hi tdn, it's not like your new FN made stainless/walnut you had for sale a while back that I should have bought blush. I ran across this pre 64 fwt yesterday so I had to snag it...:

[Linked Image]

I had the opportunity to buy it a year ago but for much more than I paid yesterday. The guy finally went down to a more reasonable amount whistle. It's one of those rifles where it kind of haunts you because you think about it off and on and then it comes back around for less money and then you jump on it.....$400.00 less as a matter of fact blush. It also came with a cool retro scope and buehler windage/elevation adjustable base which I took off the rifle and am selling on ebay right now....

BSA MAGA
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very cool - nice snag!

The few times I have willed myself to pass on a rifle - it seems it only comes back up for sale at a higher price...
Well done.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That'd be the bees knees to turn a pre 64 into a mid long range tack driver. A Leupy with Target turrets up top would look perfect IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

I'm hoping Pat chimes in with some good pics and data like he usually does. It really seems to get the job done for him. I've actually been interested in the combo too. I was going to give up on the 308 win a while back but after getting a new rifle today, maybe I'll change my mind..... whistle

I happen to have a few pics of 155 scenar kills laying around here somewhere....grin!

Varget is my go to powder in the .308 for the 155's. I've shot them in seven different .308's and they seem to be "jump friendly" in all of them, and that to me is always a good thing for a rifle going to the field. Use a 2.800" coal and rock on. I think the jackets are prety hard and they seem to dig deep, while still opening up enough to damage the boiler room...some of the kills I've made with them are 500 to 600 meters and they still expanded, leaving 1" to 2" exit holes on black bears, buck mule deer and bull elk.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 77 invisible), 3,093 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,242
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.