Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boltman
Stever - so you think Dick and Craig are a bit high at $2650?

Wouldn't surprise me if that is what the Blue Book says. laugh

Anybody have any insight on how the Blue Book publishers pull these arbitrary numbers out of thin air?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Blue Book tends to rely on people from the field who have experience. I wrote the Whitney-Kennedy section of the Blue Book and update it each year. A friend of mine who has collected Ross rifles for over 50 years does the Ross section, another friend who collected Newton rifles for many decades does the Newton section. The pricing that any Blue Book comes up with is controversial. When it comes to vintage collectable guns (and I am not referring to a Savage 75th Anniversary Rifle), I think the Blue Book estimates are often low. Remember, when it comes to pricing, just because you won't pay a certain amount for a rifle, it doesn't mean someone else won't. Recently, a friend forwarded me an ad from gunsinternational for a Ross M-10 .280 sporter. This was Sir Charles ultimate refinement and most expensive rifle, but it also is the most commonly encountered Ross sporter. It was priced at $2000 and we both felt it was significantly overpriced and chuckled about it. It sold that same day blush. By the way, from the pictures, it appeared about 95%. The Blue Book places the value at $1000 in that condition.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
By the way, I just checked. The 31st Edition Blue Book (which I believe is the most recent) places the value of the M1895 75th Anniversary rifle at $550 in 100% condition. Reportedly 9,999 were made in 1970 only. Despite my distaste for this rifle, I believe that is a low estimate and should be adjusted up next time around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve:

I must confess that I really don't know a lot about the Blue Book.

I only know that the it seems like the guns I am most interested in are pretty consistently over valued by the Blue Book.

This may not be the case on guns that I am totally ignorant about. Which outside of 99's, 1911's, M1 Garands, M1 carbines, and Remington model 8's and 14's includes about every other gun on the planet. grin

Randy

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Randy, I was looking at the Savage section of the Blue Book recently. I have made several adjustment in that section over the years. For example, on the M1899-F carbine, there was a two tier pricing placed there by someone else. One price line is for a standard carbine and the other is for those, "w/small bbl. band." I inserted the statement, "... first variation w/small barrel band is controversial as to whether it exists..." Some guys say they do, other guys say they don't. We know there is a catalog with an illustration that suggest they were made but most believe that they simply carried forward a picture of a M1895 SRC. I thought the best way to handle it was to point out that it is a controversial point. I believe one of the goals of a Blue Book should be to educate. As far as pricing, remember, Blue Book prices are for pieces that don't have ANY issues other than condition wear. I often quote Lauren's statement, "it's always something" and I am in agreement with that statement. It does seem the majority of vintage rifles out there have at least one something if not more than one. Hence, you cannot apply a Blue Book price to a rifle that has a, "something" such as extra tape holes in the metal, added swivels, etc. What this means is that the Blue Book prices are reserved for those minority of rifles where there isn't a, "something." This is the minority of rifles (offered for sale vs. tucked away in safes) out there. In looking at a few prices in the current Blue Book, I will stick to my statement that many of the vintage Savage lever rifles are priced low vs. high. For example, a M99R prewar variation in 100% condition is valued at $695. We are talking a 100% rifle with absolutely no issues and manufactured between 1932 and 1942. $695 hardly seem high to me for such a rifle. Or a M1899C made between 1899 and 1915 in 100% condition listed at $1800. Wow - 96 to 112 year old Savage lever in 100% condition for that price - I think a lot of us would be typing the words, "I'll take it" darn quick wink

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Notice the dealers at shows whip the blue book out when making an offer on some rifles. They keep it under cover on others. I find it to be a good resource but as pointed out by many not the last word.

BTW Steve, I have diligently looked for Ross rifles at the shows , shops, and Cabela's. No luck. From your site I have an idea what I'm looking for but have not handled one yet.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes, the Blue Book can be used in many directions. I've also seen some unscrupulous dealers pull out an older Blue Book to come up with a "fair price." It was interesting, when I attended the Mercer Savage Fest I wish I had brought a Ross along - none of the guys there had seen one either. There are some models of the Ross that they made a couple thousand, there are many other models much scarcer than a Savage '95 SRC.

K
K
dear trustyrusty, do you still have the 1895 savage that belonged to your dad?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 74 invisible), 2,770 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.