Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2,579 1 2 3 4 2578 2579
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It means you can hang with the cool kids. Also cuts down on that one jackass in camp that never brings enough ammo.
Whats not to like?

WarDamnEagle
BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
toss your truck keys to the jackass and tell him to go to town and fetch some ammo, whilst your out whackin' critters smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
It means there are folks that believe that if you increase your powder capacity by 1% thru some alchemy you will increase your velocity by upwards of 25%. Just writing "AI" on the side of the case will turn it into a laser death ray good out to several hundred yards.

And that idiots will still rant about which they don't understand.

Not too much to understand. Even a dumb [bleep] can do it if you try. There's a pretty good discussion about AI going on in another thread. JB explains pretty well what sort of meager increases you get from an AI. 'Course there's that "I don't have to trim as often" thing. That's worth a whole lot to someone that's gonna take the time and trouble to reform brass. Enjoy. I'd rather be shooting.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yea. Cus there must be a law somewhere that says you can't kill schit whilst fireforming. Duh!

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It means there are folks that believe that if you increase your powder capacity by 1% thru some alchemy you will increase your velocity by upwards of 25%. Just writing "AI" on the side of the case will turn it into a laser death ray good out to several hundred yards.

Yawn. Also......There are folks around that think they gotta' kill the fun for others that have been around the block a few times and are bored and just want something different.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are a high volume shooter, there is something to be said for eliminating or greatly reducing the requirement to trim brass. I've found when fl sizing 223's that they need to be trimmed after 1-2 firiings. When you have 1000 cases to trim thet gets real old, real fast. I have much better things to do with my time.

Burning another grain of powder, picking up some speed and saving hours of trimming time, what's not to like? With two boys that are fond of shooting, I can assure you fire forming is far from a chore.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

Wait a second.... All I have to do is write "AI" on the case and ... BAM! LASER MOFOIN' DEATH RAY!!

Where's my Sharpie??

Montani Semper Liberi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I must be doing it wrong. Mine has the "AI" on the barrel, not on the case. Who knew? whistle

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by 338Federal
I'd like to know what the real difference in the 223vs223ai velocity is.

Do you mean safely?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Realistically, safely.

IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Safely I would guess 100 fps, but would also guess alot of guys run them faster not knowing their over pressure!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The REAL difference is on the order of ten to fifteen fps; tops. Keep in mind, the only valid comparison is to load the two cartridges to the same pressure in the same barrel. This does not mean the same pressure in a similar barrel or a similar pressure using different components in a longer barrel. It also doesn't mean comparing a maximum load in the AI to a factory load in the standard chambering. These are all favorite techniques of AI advocates. GD

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The rule of thumb is 1 to 4. For every 4% you increase your powder capacity, you increase your velocity 1%.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Yawn. Also......There are folks around that think they gotta' kill the fun for others that have been around the block a few times and are bored and just want something different.
hi bestfreind!

Model 7's FOR LIFE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by greydog
The REAL difference is on the order of ten to fifteen fps; tops. Keep in mind, the only valid comparison is to load the two cartridges to the same pressure in the same barrel. This does not mean the same pressure in a similar barrel or a similar pressure using different components in a longer barrel. It also doesn't mean comparing a maximum load in the AI to a factory load in the standard chambering. These are all favorite techniques of AI advocates. GD
Love to hear how you know this to be true. Can you please share the equipment you have used to verify this information? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ReaperCrew

Wait a second.... All I have to do is write "AI" on the case and ... BAM! LASER MOFOIN' DEATH RAY!!

Where's my Sharpie??

I got a fine point here ill mail you when im done AI'ing my Montana. Ill sell it for about as much as a reamer and a gunsmiths rechamber time laugh

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
Love to hear how you know this to be true. Can you please share the equipment you have used to verify this information? Thanks.

I know this to be true mostly because of an accumulation of 35 years of experience as a gunsmith and considerably more than that as a shooter and experimenter. I have chambered "improved" cartridges from the K-Hornet to the 375H&H AI (and this does include the 223 AI) and have chronographed most of them. When tests are run to compare standard and AI'd chambers, the real surprise is often what the parent case will do when loaded to pressures which are accepted as usable by the AI advocates.
There are some improved cartridges which can offer a significant increase over the standard case but the 223 isn't one of them; no matter how much we might wish it to be so. GD

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
AI=more expensive, sometimes for a gain of speed, sometimes for just AI and less barrel-life. Really depends on the cartridge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know this to be true mostly because of an accumulation of 35 years of experience as a gunsmith and considerably more than that as a shooter and experimenter. I have chambered "improved" cartridges from the K-Hornet to the 375H&H AI (and this does include the 223 AI) and have chronographed most of them. When tests are run to compare standard and AI'd chambers, the real surprise is often what the parent case will do when loaded to pressures which are accepted as usable by the AI advocates.
There are some improved cartridges which can offer a significant increase over the standard case but the 223 isn't one of them; no matter how much we might wish it to be so. GD
So if someone had 36+ years experience and their experience is contrary to yours what would you say? 10-15 fps is more than a bit difficult for some of us to buy into. I'm not saying to expect several hundred fps gains, but 10-15 fps is significantly lower than my research with a strain gauge display. Of course like most of these posts I could just be guessing myself......

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What fps gain does the strain guage display?

Page 2 of 2,579 1 2 3 4 2578 2579

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
480 members (10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.