Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The design faults of the Redfield style, windage adjustable bases became known to the tactical crowd during the vietnam war. The Remington varmit rifles the marines used wore Redfield 3-9X scopes on those mounts. Basically the same scopes alot of hunters use. Same size and weight.
While scope weight may contribute to this problem as well as recoil, the problems in Vietnam came from the rifles being knocked around. The problems I've seen with them, the scope breaking loose of the rear base, were the result of that treatment. E

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Another way to break them loose is put a heavy scope in them and either shoot a lot or shoot something with real recoil. A 23 ounce scope with 308 class recoil wore on a set for me, but I shoot a lot compared to some.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The Leupold/Redfield type mount with adjustable windage will definitely work, but the harder-kicking the rifle the less secure it is, since the scope is mostly held in place by the front ring. That said, I have a bunch of them on lighter-kicking rifles and they do the job.

The Burris Signatures are a deifnite step up, as are the Conetrol/Gentry/S&K, which all use the same basic windage system, with opposing windage screws in each base. In fact the bases for the Conetrol and Gentry mounts are interchangeable.

If you really like the Talley rings, you might consider sending your rifle to Talley to have them fitted. Many if not most factory rifles that run out of windage adjustment with fixed mounts don't actually have misaligned mounting holes. Instead the top surfaces of the action are tilted a little, due to poor polishing. Talley can machine the bottom of Lightweights to compensate, which probably wouldn't cost much (if any) more than a different set of mounts.

+1. Call Gary Turner, tell him what you have and want, am positive he'll set you up. He and his stepdad, Dave Talley, are first rate in every way.

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/cgi-bin/public_controller.cgi?view=contact

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Eremicus
The design faults of the Redfield style, windage adjustable bases became known to the tactical crowd during the vietnam war. The Remington varmit rifles the marines used wore Redfield 3-9X scopes on those mounts. Basically the same scopes alot of hunters use. Same size and weight.
While scope weight may contribute to this problem as well as recoil, the problems in Vietnam came from the rifles being knocked around. The problems I've seen with them, the scope breaking loose of the rear base, were the result of that treatment. E

interesting post E -- knew these mounts were the mount systems used there, but didn't know that there were some of the extreme issues going on that you say occurred there--though one could easily infer that there had to be zero shiftings due to knocks and bumps in that type of hard use setting.

most of us have used these mounts, and in almost every situation they leave much to be desired. yet folks have used them successfully in concentrated/hard use environments--but care must be taken. Mawhinney used them with great success in his day--though i'm sure he would have preferred having a rig with the mount systems commonly utilized today.

i've never had a set fail (with respect to breakage, not zero shift), but i'm very careful with my gear, and typically shoot rigs that are fairly light in recoil--with the bulk of them being .22 and .24 caliber. nevertheless, i don't care for these rings because even if you're careful with the rig--with respect to knocks and bumps--in the back of one's mind is always the idea that they will possibly move, thereby affecting zero. I have however, seen the lower recess on the ring post that engages the windage screw, almost completely sheared off in heavier recoiling rigs, as there is very little metal there. in one example i looked at where the rings had been completely removed, the shearing action hadn't yet completed the job, but the tiny bit of metal in the ring post recess was pulled somewhat downward towards the bottom of the ring post, nearly ready for separation.

their only true virtue--if you can call it that--is in using them in a light recoiling varmint rifle where one can employ the only "redeeming" feature they afford (which is at the same time their achilles heel)--to be able to bring the ring axis into parallel alignment with the barrel axis, in the quest to obtain near perfect alignment for shooting small, narrow bodied critters at longer distances. with a little work, in some cases i've been successful in achieving this type of alignment with dual dovetails, as well as other non-adjustable systems.

they will always have their place--with the varminting crowd; those who set up rigs with "period correct" scopes/mounts/and rings; traditionalists, etc...

that being said, there is more than a hatful of better mount systems out there, and a chap will be in far greener pastures by employing their use instead.

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
I'm in need of some windage adjustable scope mounts, so Talleys are out. Already tried them actually, which is why I know I need some windage adjustment. I only had 4 more clicks remaining to the left.

Obviously the most correct COA is buy a rifle that has perfectly drilled scope holes. After some cursing at the range I'm past that now.

I believe my choices to be:
1. Leupold windage adjustable bases and rings
2. Burris signature rings (on Leupold bases? never really figured that out)
3. S&K mounts and rings

Anything else better out there? I'm leaning S&K right now. Anything bad about the S&Ks?

Thanks gents.

burris posiligns with their eccentric live centers could possibly get you there,

and weaver windage adjustable sure grip cross-slot style rings will give you a lot of lateral adjustment, as you can adjust both front and rear rings...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks, all, for the comments.

I ordered some S&Ks, but I'll keep in mind that Talley would likely be able to make their rings work on my receiver. Worst case I'll send it over to them if I can't find a solution.

As an aside, when I got the rifle back from the smith it had Leupold windage adjustable bases. When I removed the action from the stock to visually inspect the bedding job, one of the screws sheared in half. So much for the Leupold bases, as that's the second windage screw I've personally seen broken on those. They may work for others for a lifetime, but I'm not sold on them as of now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You'll love the S&K's.

Great choice.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
No experience with S&K mounts...sorry..

LOTS of experience with Leupolds on various rifles and nary a glitch with bazillions of rounds fired...all good.

This will be in contrast to whoever chimes in next, as the windage adjustable leupolds seem to be universally hated here...except by me grin

I have the Leupys on a few rifles and have no complaints yet. They look to be more fragile than they are in practice.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Burris Signature Zee rings - this is the model that fits Weaver style bases or picatinny bases. Get an insert set and use them to center your scope and you are home free.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 42 invisible), 2,668 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,506
Posts18,452,593
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.