Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by ghost

Lhookz, why would you "throw away" a pair of boots that cost $100s when they come with a no questions asked refund?? The off the shelf pair I got from Russel didn't "quite" fit right, and I returned them, and got a refund, no problem.

I purchased the first pair off the shelf so I figured they were just lower quality than their custom boots. The second pair I was measured and had them custom made. As I stated they were just as bad as the first pair. I thought it might be a break in issue, so I actually wore them on a couple of hikes in AZ, the last being the seven mile hike I referenced. I did not feel it would be right in trying to get a refund after I had put that much mileage on a boot. I also did not feel I could ethically sell them as they, in my experience, were crappy boots and were used. I paid my money and took my chances, and decided that ethically the financial hit should be mine to bear.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought an off the shelf pair of Russell "Art Carter" boots and I think they're about the most comfortable pair of shoes I own. I only wish my next pair will fit me this well. I'd love a pair of Imperials in french calf.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by ghost
Lhookz, why would you "throw away" a pair of boots that cost $100s when they come with a no questions asked refund?? The off the shelf pair I got from Russel didn't "quite" fit right, and I returned them, and got a refund, no problem.

From the Russell web site and the same as their catalog.

"[color:#000099]Custom made goods cannot be returned or exchanged, but we will be glad to remodel if a satisfactory fit is not received. All credit card order charges are put through at the time the order is entered. Goods shipped from stock will be willingly exchanged if unsatisfactory in fit or otherwise.
Your boot will fit correctly if proper care was taken during your home measurement process. Do not wear boots or shoes outside, unless you are sure they fit. Soiled or scuffed footwear cannot be returned."[/color]

This is far from a no questions asked refund. No where is a no questions ask refund mentioned anywhere on their info that I have found.

My personal experience was they were unable to make a pair of Airports that fit after several attempts. I can honestly say I have never tried on a pair of shoes that fit worse. I was measured at the store more than once. Yes, some shoes fit better than others, my expectation was not that a custom measured and built shoe for my feet would be the worst shoe I ever tried on. I had a pair of Carters made previously and those required several trips to the store to get them sort of right. I had very high hopes for Russell�s and really wanted them to work out, but was not the case.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rattler
ghost, ive got bad knees and as such what shoes i wear matter greatly....though they have good reviews New balance dont work for me either.....on the off chance our feet are similar you might try Columbia for normal shoes/hiking boots.....not all of them work for me but bout 1/3 of their products fit me like a glove.....might be worth checking if you find yourself in a store that carries them... tend to be able to tell right there in the store if they will work or not....

I am in the same boat, Merrill hikers and sandals are great but I wear a pair of ECCO track 11 ankle boots for just about every outdoor active thing I do.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bought a pair of the bird hunters that are made from kangaroo. I loved the look and wanted something for warm weather. Wen I tried them on they felt horrible. There was a bump where the tongue folded over, my heel slipped, balls felt cramped, collar was irritating, etc. It took several tries at different insoles before every thing fell into place. Now they are one of my most comfortable pair of shoes.
My suggestion would be to try different insoles. It worked for me and saved me from tossing away a good pair of boots in disgust. I do wish I added a shank and padded collar. I don't know if they could add these after the boot has been built?
On the other hand, my Merrels fit just as well and cost a lot less.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
What about sizing compared to Merrils or tradtional shoes? My Double H's are 10EE but my Red Wings are 11D. Sneakers are 11's. I have read to size down 1/2 a size but have never put my feet in a pair.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
I have two pair of Russell PH's. The first were an awesome fit, the second didn't fit and were returned at SCI. Ditto for a pair made for my wife. We are awaiting the new pairs they are making.

Shoes are a lot like a pair of jeans. Sometimes they will fit, sometimes they won't. even in the same size, It's your anatomy and personal perception that governs fit. Personally, the most comfortable boots I have ever owned are the Courtney Safari's. I have several pair. But YMMV.

My re-made Russell PH's arrived today and they were a perfect fit right out of the box! Very pleased. Will, of course, break them in thoroughly, but they had a "broken in" feel when I put them on. I hope my wife's re-made boots fit as well.

Namibia, here I come!

I purchased a pair of Russel PHs several years ago and for one reason or another just never really liked the feel of them. I'm somewhat flatfooted and these just don't offer the support that I get with Danners or New Balance. I own a pair of Courtney Selous (Cape Buffalo hide) that I've broken in and they feel alright, but certainly not as comfortable as my "off the rack" Danners or New Balance favorites.

Are the thorns really that bad in Tanzania (I'm heading for the Selous.), or will a good walking/hiking shoe/boot suffice?

These are what I'm using now and find exceptionally comfortable: http://www.bootbay.com/31014-Mens-Zigzag-Hiking-Danner-Boots/DA31014/Product

http://www.shopnewbalance.com/men/shoes/walking/country/MW646BR

Last edited by Pulicords; 04/08/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I cannot say about the area your going to be in. However, I expect a flat tire once a week. At one time we used split rim wheels with inner tubes just so the boys could get them patched and fixed faster. I was also carrying two spares.

There are some places worse then others, and some places without roads which are always worse. I've had thorns go through my gordens more times then I can count. Twice now I have had the thorn so deep into my foot, I could not get my boot off as it was pinned into the boot. I had to pull the thorn out with my leatherman. It had to come back out of through the sole. That was a gruesome event needless to say. Especially when your many miles away on foot and now have to walk back!

The turtle skin lining has never had a through and through puncture, with the airbob sole. I do have dozens of thorns embedded in the sole, but non-have gone through.........yet!

One other memorable puncture. I was on a rhino dart hunt. We were closing the gap to make the shot and I made a ninja quiet stalk with my hunter. We had only a couple meters to move to clear the brush. At which point I had a whole branch stuck to my boot with the thorn deeply embedded in the sole. I had become fully connected to the branch.

It's not easy to explain the stress of having to work this out while trying to keep your eyes on this rhino at about 30-35 meters. All the while this anxious hunter has an adrenaline rush beyond anything imaginable and I'm hobbling and preoccupied with a branch stuck to my boot.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I don't understand why you guys fool with this stuff.

Just go to your local outdoor store and buy a pair of light hiking boots for warm weather. Goretex and Nubuck and no breaking in. Buy the pair that fits. Saves money too. I prefer the lower cut ones.

Or just do like Buzz Charleton in his new elephant hunting video. He wears a pair of croc slip-ons, no socks, no gaiters.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Just go to your local outdoor store and buy a pair of light hiking boots for warm weather.

Wish it were that simple. My feet have needs not found in 99.9 percent of shoes and 100 percent of any commercial made boots I have seen (out of hundreds). So maybe now you can understand why everyone is not just like you. Some people have needs or wants that are not found in commercial chinese shoes.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I hunted the Selous with ankle-high Timberland leather boots, and they were fine. Don't worry about it.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I got the Thula-Thula model a few years back for my Botswana trip. One of the pair was just a tad off and I called and sent it back. They fixed it quickly, and perfectly, and I had it back within two weeks.

Off-the-shelf books work fine for local light use for me, but I have a dropped metarsal in one foot. Russel fashinioned an inner sole that worked perfectly. I logged a fair amount of miles during those ten days and could not imagine being so comfortable with off-the-shelf boots.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Jensen
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Just go to your local outdoor store and buy a pair of light hiking boots for warm weather.

Wish it were that simple. My feet have needs not found in 99.9 percent of shoes and 100 percent of any commercial made boots I have seen (out of hundreds). So maybe now you can understand why everyone is not just like you. Some people have needs or wants that are not found in commercial chinese shoes.

Not trying to make light of your needs, but I am very adverse to buying boots and stuff in the mail, custom made or not, without trying them on first.

Are you sure (thou probably are) that a good podiatrist would not make up something and then you could try that in boots at a good outdoor store?

Really, for me, cheap Chinese copy or not, my Lowas are as comfortable as any boots I've ever used.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.