Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6401138 04/12/12
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.shooterschoice.ca/RugwerAfrican375.JPG

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=128364

The Ruger is closer to what I would like.

Dream is a Kimber Talkeetna.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Find a Classic stainless Mod. 70, get the mag. box, W-spring and follwer combo from master gunmaker and real gentleman Duane Weibe and have a GOOD 'smith and I can PM you who IS just that, install these and fit a Micky handle.

Get a Brockman-Talley base-peep sight combo, 8-40 screws and two sets of Talley QD mounts. Have the barrel cut to 23" and a Recknagel banded ramp with Euro-post front sight installed.

Shoot it until you can use it without concious thought and it will be a .375H&H, loaded with 300 NPs over enough H-4350 over a WW mag.primer in Nosler brass. buy 200 cases to start and they should last a long time. My rifles like 76.5 grs and I do not try for the highest velocity as the original British loads seemed to work pretty well in "Darkest Afriker, old boy, eh wot"....

There is NO better .375 bore rifle made unless you can spend SERIOUS coin, pushing 10K and this rig will give you 4+1, shoot well and last until you are fertilizer.

The Ruger and I have owned at least 20 guns by them, is not equal to this rig and the noise about "bolt throw" etc. is all horseshit, the kind of drivel spouted by those with 10.000+ posts on each of several different gun sites and gun "knowledge" largely obtained from reading magazines.

You can also do a CZ-550, but, I see no real value to the heavier rifle, having owned a customized Brno-602 and some disadvantages.

If, you can afford it, there are Dakota 76-/Safari Grades out there and with a little work, these become a fine .375 rifle. HTH.

O
O
AB2506, I guess it all depends what you want and what and where you will be using it. Living in southeast Alaska I have always been drawn to the 375hh and have owned several of the winchester m70 classic stainless's, which are great rifles. When ruger introduced the 375ruger in the alaskan model i had to have one and I have never looked back..Why... Well the price for one, under 800 dollars you get an all stainless rifle with open sights which are stainless too and the barrel banded front sight is great for coming on a factory rifle.. The barrel is already at 20 inches which with my favorite winchester I had to cut it down and have the front sight drilled and tapped and all that the goes along with it. As far as the hogue stock some hate them others love them, I am not bothered by mine but thats because I put an old ruger paddle stock on it and have been totally happy with it. Sure you could buy a rifle, send it to smith and have him add all the bells and whisles if thats your cup of tea, I for one dont have the money for such a project and probably wouldnt as my 375 ruger has worked flawlessly from day one. Will probably get some slack about this but just my experience..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd get the CZ.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I've been going crazy trying to decide which 375 to buy, problem is where I live there aren't too many 375's to handle let alone shoot. FlatTop Johnny was nice enough to let me shoot his Ruger Alaskan several times, handles and shoots greats, I'm still undecided on the recoil. I would not buy that CZ because it appears that it is an older model W/O the crossbolts and the stocks tend to split (from what I've read in researching the CZ). I'd go with the Ruger, Good Luck!

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I will add another thumbs up for the Ruger. I have a lefty Alaskan, and the trigger is better on it than my Hawkeye 30-06. Bolt throw is smooth, and I really like the express sights. It's just a tad heavier than my Hawkeye, and damn if it don't handle nice and shoot even better.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a 20" Montana '99. I'm working on going lightweight on this...I really really love this rifle with 270gr. Hornady's over H4350. Just a hoot!

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For those of you with the Ruger 375 Alaskan, is the factory trigger good enough or are you replacing it?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have the 375 Ruger African. I had my gunsmith lighten the pull to a nice crispy 3 lb.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winchester model 70, Kimber Caprivi (Wonderful rifle, that one) would be two of my choices. Really, the only two in a 375.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I just examined a Caprivi in .416Rem. at a major Vancouver, BC gunshop and it retails here for $3895.00 plus tax-12%. I was really quite keen on buying one and had my wife on side for the purchase, but, the fit and finish does not come remotely close to my Dakota 76, which is the "baseline" for good guns of contemporary manufacture, for me.

My buddy just bought two used Dakota 76 rifles,VERY nice ones, for $2750.00 and $2550.00 each and with a little money to put Micky and Rimrock handles on them, he has rifles much superior, IMHO, to the Caprivi.

NO offence intended at all, but, I am quite disappointed in the Kimber centerfire rifles I have examined to date and that is at least two dozen. I wish they WOULD do a Caprivi and a Talkeetna of the quality of a Dakota and would buy one if they ever do so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is just me AB but b4 I bought one of those or most all others mentioned I'd try to find a M70 in 375, and restock it with one of D'Arcy's handles.

The M70 has good barrel weight to it by my way of thinking. I'd cut the barrel to 23", rid myself of the irons.

Option #2 would be for a nice light 375 I'd go with a 700 XCR, cut the tube to 23" and get to it.

IMO most all 375's are built too dang heavy. In my world of 375's I'd want it all up at most 8.5 lbs. The 375 is a user friendly round if one keeps decent barrel weight out front and not towards the rear.

Best of luck to you in your decision

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One other thought would be to get a Ruger Alaskan and restock it. I think that Phil S redid one with a take off Ruger handle. That's a rig I could cotton to, especially if I could rid it of the irons.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
This is just me AB but b4 I bought one of those or most all others mentioned I'd try to find a M70 in 375, and restock it with one of D'Arcy's handles.

The M70 has good barrel weight to it by my way of thinking. I'd cut the barrel to 23", rid myself of the irons.

Option #2 would be for a nice light 375 I'd go with a 700 XCR, cut the tube to 23" and get to it.

IMO most all 375's are built too dang heavy. In my world of 375's I'd want it all up at most 8.5 lbs. The 375 is a user friendly round if one keeps decent barrel weight out front and not towards the rear.

Best of luck to you in your decision

Dober

If I went a 700 XCR, I may as well go all the way and get an ABolt stainless stalker. There's usually one of those at most gunshows as I figure most people find them way too light in 375.

AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If I decide to go for buffalo, I think I will try to find a Winchester classic stainless, or a Kimber Talkeetna. Thisrd would be a 375 Ruger African.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you were closer I'd let you run my 375 Wby for a while. I have an old Pre 64/70 that's all electroless nickled with a Schneider 5 wt cut to 23". Brown for a handle.

Darn things a total drill!

Dober

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
EricM,

If anybody isn't satisfied with the factory trigger pull on a Ruger .375 Hawkeye, it's one of the easiest factory trigger to fix. I've done it myself on several Hawkeyes in about 20-30 minutes.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the input, John!

Eric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive had no problems so far with my Ruger Alaskan, and the trigger on mine is more than satisfactory the way it came from the factory....for what I use it for the Hogue stock is fine, but if I were to use it as a DG rifle, then I would look into re-stocking it.
johnny

No Farmers---No Food
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by kutenay
Find a Classic stainless Mod. 70, get the mag. box, W-spring and follwer combo from master gunmaker and real gentleman Duane Weibe and have a GOOD 'smith and I can PM you who IS just that, install these and fit a Micky handle.

Get a Brockman-Talley base-peep sight combo, 8-40 screws and two sets of Talley QD mounts. Have the barrel cut to 23" and a Recknagel banded ramp with Euro-post front sight installed.

Shoot it until you can use it without concious thought and it will be a .375H&H, loaded with 300 NPs over enough H-4350 over a WW mag.primer in Nosler brass. buy 200 cases to start and they should last a long time. My rifles like 76.5 grs and I do not try for the highest velocity as the original British loads seemed to work pretty well in "Darkest Afriker, old boy, eh wot"....

There is NO better .375 bore rifle made unless you can spend SERIOUS coin, pushing 10K and this rig will give you 4+1, shoot well and last until you are fertilizer.

The Ruger and I have owned at least 20 guns by them, is not equal to this rig and the noise about "bolt throw" etc. is all horseshit, the kind of drivel spouted by those with 10.000+ posts on each of several different gun sites and gun "knowledge" largely obtained from reading magazines.

You can also do a CZ-550, but, I see no real value to the heavier rifle, having owned a customized Brno-602 and some disadvantages.

If, you can afford it, there are Dakota 76-/Safari Grades out there and with a little work, these become a fine .375 rifle. HTH.

Damn good advise Kutenay wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,478
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.