Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I got to thinking about this last week. Wednesday we caught two limits of 15"/16" trout trolling flashers with a night crawler. Not my favorite way to fish but it usually works and the guy I was fishing with has family members that wanted some fish.

Came back two days later: same kind of weather, same time, same area in the same lake, same rig. Skunked for two hours or so. Tied on a Rattletrap, trolled it, by itself, the same distance behind the boat and limited again with the same size fish in an hour.

It's not always my first choice but I've caught more different types of fish, both fresh and inshore salt water, with Rattletraps than any other lure.

GB2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Trolling-- a number 7 jointed rapala in rainbow pattern.

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Trolling or casting. I've caught more with the Rattletrap casting.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
worm, oont hook.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
some sort of dry fly, followed by a diver fly

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've caught more varieties on this plain silver HOT'N TOT than anything else and on occasion channel cats will fancy taking a bite of them too...

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Tube jig, the one Bass Pro calls a tender tube, in smoke color

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not a lure but a hook a minnow and a sinker has accounted for walleye, sauger, shovelnose sturgeon, channel cat, snot rocket, goldeneyes, buffalo, crappie and carp....prolly a few other things ive forgotten

as for a "lure".....leech harness prolly.....walleye, sauger, snot rocket, drum, smallmouth bass, crappie, goldeneyes.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nightcrawler. Lure? Rebel Wee Craw moss green or brown craw. Northerns, walleyes, perch, bluegills, LM bass, SM bass, white bass, crappies, bluegills, catfish, carp, sheephead, pretty much anything loves a crawdaddy - me included!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
probably this one...trolling and casting. Lakes, streams, rivers.
[Linked Image]

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The floating Rapala.

Used them in various sizes since the 60s. Trolling or casting will catch a wide variety of fish.

Personally have caught largemouth, smallmouth, white bass, striped bass, yellow bass, white perch, perch, walleye, northern pike, pickerel, crappie, freshwater drum, American shad, channel cat, brown trout, rainbow trout, lake trout, kokanee salmon, rock bass, several varities of sunfish, and even carp on one version or another.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jigs.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Between the #7 shad rap and a 1/4 Oz leadhead jig with a yellow 3" twsiter tail it's a tossup.....both are permanent fixtures in my tackle box

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
probably this one...trolling and casting. Lakes, streams, rivers.
[Linked Image]

Can't go wrong with that one in this area. From panfish to Pike and both types of bass found here, that black backed gold Rapala catches them all. Just put a small split ring in the nose loop to add to the action, then very the retrieve.

In the faster warm water streams here the size 0 to size 2 mepps plain copper spinner gets alot of attention once spawning is done.

In Canadian lakes, about even between a Johnsons Silver Minnow and a Daredevil in the red and white or yellow and red diamonds.

Lately the various leadheaded jig/swim shad combinations have caught everything from white perch, croaker, blues, weakfish, redfish, sea trout, and stripers in the brackish water of the lower Potomac and the Chesapeake Bay in general.

The one fly to not go without in fresh or Saltwater around here is a Chartreuese over white Clouser minnow. We have caught everything in the area on these.

[Linked Image]

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I must agree with Deertracker and fyshbum, the 3" Rapala and maybe a Panther Martin will catch just about anything in freshwater.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I pretty much only fish for trout. Popgear and worm has always equaled success when trolling where I usually fish. If I want to try and catch something bigger I really like using a flat fish.

Casting from shore I've had good success with a red and white dare devil.

Lots of good suggestions on here though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
White Marabou jig

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
plugs and spoons

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northern_dave
worm, oont hook.

I fish with two poles. One with a crawler and another with a lure. The crawler catches the fish, and the lure gives me sonething to do in between.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Berkely power grub in yellow or white 3''...catches everything that swims....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.