Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
What are the differencs between a BRNO ZG 47 action, and a 21H?

What type scope rings do they take?

Thanks in advance for any info,and pictures are always welcome. smile

Bob, I've owned both and like both but without a doubt the 21H does it me for over the ZG-47. The 21H is just so slim and petite. It feels like nothing else. I like it so much I even used a 21H pattern on a Husky build cool

There are a few things about the 21H I'm not real fond of though. If your plans are to leave the rifle 100% stock you'll need to use high scope mounts and guess what....nobody makes them anymore. You'll need the high mounts for two reasons. 1st. the bolt handle is shaped funny and needs a lot of clearance to miss the scope. 2nd. The factory safety works by sliding your thumb across the top of the bolt shroud to dissengage the safety. If the scope isn't mounted high there just isn't enough room to get your thumb under it.

I have a 100% original, pristene 21H in 7X57 and refuse to cut on this one. I just got a new set of mounts for it yesterday. I had to commision a custom set of rings for this thing because nobody makes them the right height anymore. They still need to be blued but they look neato. They do to me anyway grin

They are still in the white. I'll send them off for bluing soon.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Of coarse if you're planning on customizing it all of the above is meaningless.

Terry

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Jeez, that is a gorgeous rifle!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have one exactly like that, rather fancy wood and I found some old Weaver adaptors for these, put my Leupy "high" rings for the Brnos on these and a Leupy 2x7 and it works perfectly.

I have a ZG "carbine" in 7x57, just got it last Christmastime and it is stone mint, very nice wood and has the old Brno i-piece mounts with a Lyman 3x. This, is quite a rare variation and I will probably not shoot it, just keep it in a small group of "classic" rifles in one of my safes that I have just to enjoy.

The long barreled 21 I just bought with a ZG last Friday has a few issues, but, is actually very nice. The DST are hooped and I detest these things,anyway, always have and I had some pleasant e-mails from Alaska Arms and will be installing one of their triggers, or, an older Dayton-Traister and 2-pos. Mod. 70 style safety from one of my other 21s, now undergoing further customization.

These longer barrled ones are my favourites and when I find good "shooter grade" specimens, I prefer to open them to .280 Rem. do the trigger and safety and install a good synthetic. This, IMHO, gives you the finest "mountain rifle" possible and the whole shebang will run about 3Gs, not a lot of cash for a good rifle im today's world.

The CZ-550 can be re-worked to come very close to the 21 and about equal to the ZG, AHR does a fine job and this is an excellent alternative for anyone who cannot find a 21 or ZG.

I am planning a pair of "ultimate using-working rifles" on the actions I have stashed and will post the details perhaps tomorrow as I am tired from monkeywrenching this newest 21 today. Small screw slots, old eyes and like that, eh.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Terry, WHERE oh WHERE did you get those rings, I need some more rings for my collection of 21s and ZGs.Thanks, got your other info. greatly appreciated. smile

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kutenay
Terry, WHERE oh WHERE did you get those rings, I need some more rings for my collection of 21s and ZGs.Thanks, got your other info. greatly appreciated. smile

Kerry Stottlemyer built those from two blocks of steel!

kstottlemyer@cox.net

They're pretty sweet.

Terry

IC B2

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Terry that's a very nice rifle,and the rings are slick. I see what you mean about the safety,and bolt clearance.

My oh my Mausers are such a conundrum..... smile but they are beautiful things! Even back when I had little notion what I was looking at,a really nice custom Mauser just jumped out and grabbed me.Few rifles are nicer looking than a high end customized mauser.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Good, I have to call Kerry as my buddy and I sent him some specs. on our Dakota 76 rifles for him to build that folding peep-rear base that was discussed on AR before last Christmas. I have not heard from him since January, but, I enjoy talking on the phone to him and I want that rear peep badly.

Damn, I hit 66 at the end of this coming June and I just never seem to be able to stop acquiring these rifles! I would go to a "shrink", but, the only one I knew was a shooting buddy and he was worse than I am, had pieces by Geo. Caswell, Maurice Ottmar and so forth do that one whole basement wall of his luxurious home was packed-full gunsafes.....I guess there is no hope for us, eh! smile smile smile

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bet the guns are cheaper than the doctors and a hell of a lot more fun.

Terry

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
TC1,

I found that by using a "vintage" scope with a smaller ocular, I could use Talley medium rings and still clear the bolt handle. I have never understood the advantage of a large ocular. The size of the exit pupil is determined by the size of the objective lens, not the ocular, and that should be the main consideration for rapid target acquisition I would think.

Anyway, here's my 22F 6.5X57 with a Lyman All American Perma Center 4X scope with post and crosshair reticle in Talley rings.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are Warne extra high CZ550 rings, not Talley's and they aren't made anymore. The Talley's don't have a "peak" like those you pictured nor are they anywhere near that height.

Hang on to them, you can't get them anymore!

Terry

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Terry,
We need to quit using Kerry's name. We may not be able to afford him soon.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HAR!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have had three ZG47's. Two were reworked by Thos M Burgess. One thing to consider, they did not have the receiver threads found in the 98's. Rather there were metric and required a lathe to cut suvh threads for the barrel shank. One was a 375 H&H which is pretty close to my safe. The small receiver diameter actions are nice but I prefer a reworked G33/40 as did Herman Waldron and number of custom rifle guys. Echols would grind off the dbl bridges to fit his rings. I first thought this a bad idea but after checking the alingment of the BRNO bridges I now agree.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Most if not all Mausers and clones have "alignment issues" and the vaunted P-64 Mod. 70s are often even worse. One can argue the merits-weaknesses of any action(s) all week long and still it comes down to the subjective judgement of the guy who is paying for the rifle(s) concerned.

My point here and I want to stress this is that these two Brno actions are the finest PRODUCTION actions ever offered and the customizing question is a separate issue.

I had some work done at Martini's and could have bought a "full house" G-33/40 action he had at the time. I chose to go with the Brno 21s and so have a number of very experienced rifle nuts-hunters I know, including the owner of that G-33/40 action.

The metric thread situation is a non-issue for me as most of the gunsmiths I use are Euro. in origin and have the appropriate tooling to cut the threads correctly. I actually prefer this, but, again, it is not a biggie, for me.

I don't care for .375H&H chambered in Mauser 98s and I am familiar with all the issues concerned, I prefer a 9.3x64B. for that level of power in the ZG action......that said, any rifle built by the immortal Thos. B. would be welcome in one of my gunsafes!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is my 6.5X57...
[Linked Image]

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is my "Hog" Killer Brno ZG47 in 7x64 with a 8X Swaro for night shootin..I sit on a hillside,waiting on them to come out at dark...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice! cool

Aside: Had no idea the ZG47 was long enough to swallow a 375H&H....what was the biggest cartridge for which they were chambered?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It might take a H&H,biggest I've seen is a 9.3x62

Come on America,

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Nice! cool

Aside: Had no idea the ZG47 was long enough to swallow a 375H&H....what was the biggest cartridge for which they were chambered?

They are for all practical purposes a commercial large ring 98 pattern action, so it would take the same moves to fit a 375 H&H as it would on any 98

Supposedly they were made in 10.75x68 though I imagine they aren't falling off trees.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
FM: I see....thanks for the info.. smile

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,933 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.